Better in the olden days

JonM

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

You would be amazed...

Also perimeter fencing isnt what it is today and clubs used to open the gates at half time and you could walk in and watch the second half for free...

The joke being ****** are a second half team anyway 

I wouldn't

We have had people on here claiming things like only half-the people in the ground were counted in the past. These claims are just ludicrous.

Claims that thousands at games weren't counted is just laughable.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

In deference to Tyrone , The Match his mate was reffering to would have been 76 , 3 years later in 79 I had some numpty squeeze into the same turnstyle as me at wembley [ just the 3 ft ones , dont forget ] , he didnt have a ticket , I did , the operator had to let us both through , but as you went through there were stewards waiting to check you had a ticket stub , they let me through but threw him back out , it wasnt unheard of with the low level turnstyles for fans to jump over them , so dropping the operator a note wasnt unheard of back then , perhaps why they introduced the extra stewards

I am not doubting some got in by dubious means, its the numbers I dispute.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, Padge said:

I wouldn't

We have had people on here claiming things like only half-the people in the ground were counted in the past. These claims are just ludicrous.

Claims that thousands at games weren't counted is just laughable.

I don't think so.. 

How do you count people who turn up at half time? How do you count people who jump over perimeter walls,

Wasn't there supposed to be an extra 20k at odsal for the world record final

23 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

In deference to Tyrone , The Match his mate was reffering to would have been 76 , 3 years later in 79 I had some numpty squeeze into the same turnstyle as me at wembley [ just the 3 ft ones , dont forget ] , he didnt have a ticket , I did , the operator had to let us both through , but as you went through there were stewards waiting to check you had a ticket stub , they let me through but threw him back out , it wasnt unheard of with the low level turnstyles for fans to jump over them , so dropping the operator a note wasnt unheard of back then , perhaps why they introduced the extra stewards

He wasn't a mate, he was just a bloke I was talking to at the bar.

OK he could have been a bull shitter that had watched the game on TV , crumpled up the programme that he'd bought previously and then come running into the pub at about 10.20 to spin us all a line.

If I hadn't have mentioned the scarcity of tickets none of this would have come out. I didn't know the bloke but he had the demeanour and appearance of a guy who'd think nothing of spending what was to me at the time half a weeks wages on a Cup Final ticket.

I'm just relating what the guy said.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He wasn't a mate, he was just a bloke I was talking to at the bar.

OK he could have been a bull shitter that had watched the game on TV , crumpled up the programme that he'd bought previously and then come running into the pub at about 10.20 to spin us all a line.

If I hadn't have mentioned the scarcity of tickets none of this would have come out. I didn't know the bloke but he had the demeanour and appearance of a guy who'd think nothing of spending what was to me at the time half a weeks wages on a Cup Final ticket.

I'm just relating what the guy said.

Tyrone , I'm agreeing with you , I was just pointing out [ again read my original post carefully ] that what you describe did happen back in the 70's at plenty of grounds , especially Wembley , my experience was as I described more likely as a result of people jumping the turnstyles [ which you could with the waist sized ones , unlike the full height ones now ] and people bribing the operators , easier and cheaper to put on some extra stewarding just inside the grounds than re fit out all the turnstyles at Wembley

The lad that sneeaked in with me tried to run past the stewards and was caught , but I did see some that got past them and into the match

Archived