Each Teams Ground Ranked SL to League 1

Super League

Hull FC - Top of the SL tree for me. Always atmospheric, serves FC well and a complete improvement on the Boulevard

Warrington - A ground that still has scope to increase and improve. Should have some representative games.

Leeds - Soft spot despite being the auld enemy.

St Helens - Another new stadium done just right.

Wigan - Beginning to look dated compared to others, but nowt better than a full "DW" Stadium.

Hull KR - Improving gradually with plenty still to do.

Huddersfield - Wanted to put Ealing above Hudds but would probably have been lynched. Always lacked atmosphere for me even in big games.

London Broncos - I like the ground but in realistic terms needs improving

Salford - Hate it. 8 miles or so from Salford. Soulless.

Castleford - Love it but time for a new 'un.

Wakefield - Makes Odsal looks like Wembley

Catalans - Not yet been

Championship

Leigh - Tight, compact and great for big games

Widnes - Good  ground

Halifax - Massive scope, good setting and development can be done on the main road stand

Rochdale - Another football ground, just right for the Hornets

Featherstone - Will jump above Rochdale for mine when the far terrace gets some development

Dewsbury - Lovely little ground

Batley - What Batley have done with little income compared to others is amazing

Bradford - Part bias, part realistic. I would argue the toss against the three below

Barrow - The Wheldon Road of the Championship

York - Was disappointed when I went, can see why they are moving to bigger and better things

Swinton - Not there own but serves a purpose at moment

Sheffield - Surreally not the worst I've been to for a competitive match in 32 years!

Toulouse - I'll let you know in July :)

Toronto - Have not been

League 1

Doncaster - Superb, worthy of a higher division by far

Newcastle - Surprisingly high up but due to quality of lower league stadiums

Workington - Could be a mighty stadium with development with it's bowl and speedway track, alas

Coventry - Plenty of scope but serves it's purpose well

Whitehaven - Needs a refresh soon

Hunslet - Good viewing ground but......

Keighley - The new board are aware that it needs updating

London Skolars - Running track hinders enjoyment

North Wales - Disjointed stand, running track, no Racecourse Ground this one

Oldham - Worst I've ever been to for a competitive game

WWR - Not yet been

Doing this has opened my eyes to potential struggles at the bottom end of our professional structure. Stadiums need money thrown at them and a turn off for potential sponsors.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Super League

Hull FC - Top of the SL tree for me. Always atmospheric, serves FC well and a complete improvement on the Boulevard

Warrington - A ground that still has scope to increase and improve. Should have some representative games.

Wigan - Beginning to look dated compared to others, but nowt better than a full "DW" Stadium.

Huddersfield - Wanted to put Ealing above Hudds but would probably have been lynched. Always lacked atmosphere for me even in big games.

Catalans - Not yet been

Championship

Widnes - Good  ground

Halifax - Massive scope, good setting and development can be done on the main road stand

Featherstone - Will jump above Rochdale for mine when the far terrace gets some development

Bradford - Part bias, part realistic. I would argue the toss against the three below

York - Was disappointed when I went, can see why they are moving to bigger and better things

Sheffield - Surreally not the worst I've been to for a competitive match in 32 years!

Toronto - Have not been

League 1

Workington - Could be a mighty stadium with development with it's bowl and speedway track, alas

WWR - Not yet been

Doing this has opened my eyes to potential struggles at the bottom end of our professional structure. Stadiums need money thrown at them and a turn off for potential sponsors.

Bulls ground is a dump, must be the worst in top two divisions.

The owners of Cov Bears' BPA home are installing a 3G pitch later this year, and are 'in advanced talks' with developers to build out much of the three undeveloped sides in the near future.

It'll be a cracker then.

Article Here

The visualisation shown is almost certainly subject to alteration. It's viewpoint is from approximately the the player entrance (existing stand to the right), with the shown stand/commercial developments at the Butts Road End (ie the end that you see when approaching the ground).

eh?

I think Cas and Wakey are rather unfairly placed in the same box marked cr@phouse.

Wheldon Road has a certain retro charm with a belting, tight atmosphere whereas Belle Vue has no redeeming features other than the just-about-passable terrace behind the sticks. 

Headingley has to be the best purpose built rugby league ground in the country followed by Warrington for mine. The South Stand at both grounds are the very souls of those clubs. 

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

The owners of Cov Bears' BPA home are installing a 3G pitch later this year, and are 'in advanced talks' with developers to build out much of the three undeveloped sides in the near future.

It'll be a cracker then.

Article Here

The visualisation shown is almost certainly subject to alteration. It's viewpoint is from approximately the the player entrance (existing stand to the right), with the shown stand/commercial developments at the Butts Road End (ie the end that you see when approaching the ground).

Fails to mention ,even more importantly that Butts Park has the very wonderful Broomfield Tavern 50 yards from the main turnstyles - Coventry CAMRAS Pub of the Year and a real ale lovers paradise with up tp 10 beers on pump plus 5 or 5 trad ciders -and very good it is too ?

Great stuff by Mumby here - just about agree with him.

The same topic but stating that the grounds are full would be interesting so the atmosphere is taken into account for a big crowd - Suddenly the likes of Bradford  & Cas would jump up the rankings.

Workington under the lights with big crowds for the WC and the 4 nations was magical - official crowd figures said it was about 2000 under capacity for those 3 games - it wasn't!! -  you couldn't move and it was great.

My favourite grounds (that I’ve been to):

Headingley (biased)

Warrington- nice modern RL ground be good atmosphere 

Hull FC- great stadium, atmosphere

St Helens- (see Warrington) 

Halifax- strange one is the shay, too big for town and Halifax RL 

Hull KR- mix of modern and old fashioned, Neots lots of character

Featherstone- nice little ground, done a good job of redeveloping it

Castleford- old ground but great atmosphere

Odsal- needs redeveloping or filling in but a really unique venue

Wakefield- kinda like Cas, don’t mind going on a sunners afternoon

Wigan- least favourite away ground, flat pack stadium, yeah it’s a football stadium but so is the KCOM and that’s a better ground.

Hunslet- not really a stadium, just a stand

Personally I’m not a fan of the large all seater football stadiums. I also like to have a choice of pubs and places to eat before a game. I have factored these into my rankings. 

1 Leeds - Fantastic traditional rugby ground renovated to a high standard in a great location 

2 Warrington - A top RL stadium in a good location 

3 Saints - Decent new RL stadium 

4 Catalans - Great ground

5 Hull fc - Good football ground but too big

6 Hudderesfield - Good football ground but too big

7 Wigan - Not a fan of this football ground 

8 Salford - Decent ground but nothing around 

9 Hull kr - Old greyhound stadium 

10 Castleford - Poor facilities but good atmosphere 

11 London - Too small 

12 Wakefield - Absolutely disgraceful

46 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Great stuff by Mumby here - just about agree with him.

The same topic but stating that the grounds are full would be interesting so the atmosphere is taken into account for a big crowd - Suddenly the likes of Bradford  & Cas would jump up the rankings.

Workington under the lights with big crowds for the WC and the 4 nations was magical - official crowd figures said it was about 2000 under capacity for those 3 games - it wasn't!! -  you couldn't move and it was great.

I like Workys ground but I don't think others will. But if we take into atmosphere yes Cas and Bradford would jump the rankings but.............. your point is?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

No, it certainly isn't the Racecourse..... but when the soccer club bought the lease from Glyndwr Uni, they wanted to charge us £5k to stage each home game!!! Basically, punitive to get rid of us from there..

Unfortunately, for those of us of good sporting taste, Wrexham has always been a "beer'n'football" town since before I was born..

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Super League

Catalans - Not yet been

Championship

Widnes - Good  ground

Toronto - Have not been

League 1

WWR - Not yet been

may i ask what you mean by newcastle being surprisingly high up but due to quality of lower league stadiums?

13 hours ago, Rach said:

Fails to mention ,even more importantly that Butts Park has the very wonderful Broomfield Tavern 50 yards from the main turnstyles - Coventry CAMRAS Pub of the Year and a real ale lovers paradise with up tp 10 beers on pump plus 5 or 5 trad ciders -and very good it is too ?

No argument from me. Best pub in Cov.

The Dyers Arms (just as close) is good too, as is the Nursery Tavern, not much further on.

eh?

Headingley great ground if your not a visiting fan and the weather is inclement, most hosts of whatever it is try to appease visitors and make a good impression, not in North Leeds.

Bradford, does the ground really deserve mention, it should have been used for landfill years ago, the club deserves much better than Odsal, I hate going there, but I will continue to do so to follow my team.

My list of stadiums visited:

1. Headingley - Can't put my finger on it, but there's a certain magic about it.

2. LSV, fantastic facility and good atmosphere

3. Warrington, good modern stadium

4. Doncaster, great stadium. Shame it's never full

5. Trailfinders, delightful place to watch RL in the sunshine

6. Blagnac, lovely setting, a bit small but lovely beer terrace.

7. Featherstone. My spiritual home and much improved recently. Needs work on the PO Road end.

8. Dewsbury.  Great Compact little stadium, recent addition of behind the stick terrace a big improvement.

9. Batley, worked wonders with little money.  Fanzone and food are superb. Slope gives it massive character

10. Halifax, Bit of a pig to get to. Poor atmosphere. Skircoat Road stand not fit for human use.

11. Hull KR, nothing bad to say, but nothing good either

12. Huddersfield, nice stadium, poor atmosphere even when full (Eng v Ire, world cup)

13. Widnes, IKEA flat pack done on the cheap, boring.

14. Bradford, tired, dilapidated, cold, eye watering entry and food/drink prices

15. Sale(Swinton), Railway Sleepers for a terrace, poor atmosphere

16. Whitehaven.  Dump

17. Castleford. Dump, asbestos roof

18. Wakefield, Dump, Deathtrap, needs condemning

19. Salford. Soulless, hard to get to, stinks of poo (being next to a massive sewage works).

Archived