Each Teams Ground Ranked SL to League 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

No argument from me. Best pub in Cov.

The Dyers Arms (just as close) is good too, as is the Nursery Tavern, not much further on.

Also the Hearsall Tavern has been voted as having the best Guinness in the WORLD.

I took my mate who worked in the pub trade in Dublin and asked his opinion

"Aye. Not bad" he said.

Then last year I overheard him talking in a pub in Donegal " I know a pub in Coventry that does a cracking pint, don't think I have ever had better".

I gave him a knowing look and he said " Aye, it was grand"!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

My gran's outside toilet has a retro charm...…………….but it is still a toilet.

But does it have a tap? Belle Vue's has been blinged up to the eyeballs.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Of course the Queensway is nothing like the Racecourse, but we are fortunate that back in the 1980s Wrexham council had the foresight to develop a top class athletics stadium in the town. We should also be grateful to the RFL for letting us play there. Playing at Queensway has allowed the club to pay off debts run up by our previous CEO with his buy now pay later attitude, and we are now just 2 months away from completing the debt repayment plan with the RFL and having our central funding restored, it has been a means to an end.

I don't think we'll ever go back to the Racecourse. Our current CEO has approached Wrexham Football Club to see if we can go back in the event of the club being promoted but they just don't want us there.

I'd love to know the real reason why we can't go back to the Rock. A few people have said it's because of the 3G pitch, but surely whats good enough for Sheffield, Oldham and Newcastle should be good enough for us? It's a cracking little ground, 7 miles from the Racecourse, and Cefn Druids FC have always made us feel very welcome.

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/welsh-premier-league-clubs/cefn-druids-afc-rock-stadium.html

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

3 hours ago, Swansea Jack said:

Come on down to Steboneath to see West Wales Raiders. Tidy little ground. Excellent stand with seating and an excellent playing surface.

Very nice ground Stebonheath, if only we could build one just like it in Wrexham.

Possibly the best pitch I've ever seen, and I've been to more that a hundred football/rugby grounds.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

A shout out for Heywood Road, Sale. Been there once for RU and twice for Swinton games (the most recent visit only last Sunday). It may not be Station Road, and it's nowhere near Swinton, but it's a tidy, intimate little enclosure ideal for Lions' present needs. As a grounds enthusiast across several sports, I'll take the archaic terracing at Heywood Road every time over the flat pack, bland new builds that, in my view, have robbed rugby league of much of its character. Be interesting to see what the 'new' Headingley feels like.

Of the new grounds, Dewsbury is the only one for which I have any affection, though I do enjoy watching Hunslet at the South Leeds Stadium, whose stand offers an excellent view of the play (and the city). If you turn a blind eye to the empty seats, Butts Park Arena, Coventry, is pretty good, too. Grounds like, say, Hilton Park, I visited on numerous occasions. Once was enough for Leigh Sports Village, a character free zone. The Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster, is the absolute worst: 750 rattling about in a stadium holding 15,000. It's more fun going to the dentist. Ditto the John Smith's, Huddersfield, and The Shay, Halifax (and that's from somebody who, as a schoolboy, was a regular at both Fartown and Thrum Hall). Queensway Stadium, Wrexham, is another for which one visit sufficed. The spectator is simply too far from the action. Ditto London Skolars.

The few surviving 'traditional' rugby league grounds might be dumps (Featherstone excepted) but I still much prefer them. Batley, Barrow, Keighley and Workington (the speedway track's presence aside) are great. Whitehaven, certainly these days, less so. Belle Vue, Wakefield, used to be a favourite but over the years too much of it has disappeared.

Somebody mentioned Bootham Crescent, York: it's time was up some seasons ago (as, indeed, Wigginton Road's was before York RLFC sold to a housing developer). The football club have invested only the bare minimum in recent years, and it shows. Mind you, with City of York Council threatening to charge a tenner to park anywhere near the new place, plenty of York City FC and York City Knights RLFC fans will come to view with fondness an era when they didn't have to trek to the outer ring road for their sporting pleasure.

My present top five: Barrow, Keighley, Castleford, Batley, Swinton.

My present bottom five: Sheffield, Newcastle, Salford, North Wales, Doncaster (unlike others, I really don't mind the ground Oldham now use, certainly after its recent facelift).

Favourite all-time top 10: Fartown, Thrum Hall, Mount Pleasant, Lawkholme Lane, Watersheddings, Wilderspool, Knowsley Road, Headingley, Wigginton Road, Craven Park (Barrow). Tattersfield and The Willows unlucky to miss out!

Never used to think Odsal was that bad but my last few visits have changed my mind. It's clear even basic maintenance is put by the wayside now (just like at Bootham Crescent), I think it's the uncovered terracing that is really showing it's age whereas the main stand and corporate side look fine - but when a huge chunk of the capacity looks neglected it's going to drag the rest of it down I'm guessing in more affluent times the terracing would've been jetwashed or whatever method groundsmen use. 

One thing I'll never understand is why supporters groups aren't more involved in spring cleaning at grounds, a bit of paint, getting rid of weeds growing in the stand etc. I know you can't polish a poo but....

image.jpg

As a Sheffield fan it's my opinion that the current ground isn't even in the bottom 3 of grounds they've played home games at. It can only get better as the stands are added.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, tim2 said:

As a Sheffield fan it's my opinion that the current ground isn't even in the bottom 3 of grounds they've played home games at. It can only get better as the stands are added.

I left it off my list, because it's quite clearly a work in progress and I didn't want to be unkind.

I think it's got potential to be a decent little stadium.

It's way better than that dog track you played at, or Belle Vue

Have to say that Skolars is all a bit depressing.

Not that I go often - but it is definitely a factor as to if I can be bothered. 

Loving Trailfinders at the moment though. Good fun.

6 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I left it off my list, because it's quite clearly a work in progress and I didn't want to be unkind.

I think it's got potential to be a decent little stadium.

It's way better than that dog track you played at, or Belle Vue

or Mount St Mary's school!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

I'd love to know the real reason why we can't go back to the Rock. A few people have said it's because of the 3G pitch, but surely whats good enough for Sheffield, Oldham and Newcastle should be good enough for us? It's a cracking little ground, 7 miles from the Racecourse, and Cefn Druids FC have always made us feel very welcome.

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/welsh-premier-league-clubs/cefn-druids-afc-rock-stadium.html

Mixed feelings about The Rock.....access to it is a bit tricky and that's definitely part of it I think. As for the pitch, my understanding was it was the "wrong type" of 3G, suitable for soccer but not approved by the RFL. If anyone can ever confirm or deny that one, I'd be interested :)

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Mixed feelings about The Rock.....access to it is a bit tricky and that's definitely part of it I think. As for the pitch, my understanding was it was the "wrong type" of 3G, suitable for soccer but not approved by the RFL. If anyone can ever confirm or deny that one, I'd be interested :)

One lesson from Widnes is the cost of insurance and treatment for injuries.

I would think, for smaller clubs, that is enough to render iffy 3G pitches a no no.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

One lesson from Widnes is the cost of insurance and treatment for injuries.

I would think, for smaller clubs, that is enough to render iffy 3G pitches a no no.

I get what you're saying, but it was more to do with the material the pitch is made of. Widnes, Broncos et.al. obviously have the correct type, but I don't think The Rock is...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Set me thinking about my favourite, and worst grounds I've been to, to watch RL.

Best: (Apart from OT & Wembley), In No Particular Order! Central Park, Kcom Stadium, Craven Cottage, HJ Stadium, Bridgend, Headingly, & Catalans, (Maybe the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, and London), & the stadium in Paris where the French held their championships a couple of times. 

Worst: Again in No Particular Order! Wilderspool (Hated that huge night club down the entire side of the ground), Alt Park, Huyton, Athletic Gnds, Rochdale, Belle Vue, Hilton Park, Thrum Hall.

Although, through gritted teeth, I thought sitting towards the back of Salfords North Stand was one of the best places to watch Rugby League from, although the rest of the ground was a dump, with such small changing rooms they would embarrass a half respectful amateur club.

5 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

My list of stadiums visited:

1. Headingley - Can't put my finger on it, but there's a certain magic about it.

2. LSV, fantastic facility and good atmosphere

3. Warrington, good modern stadium

4. Doncaster, great stadium. Shame it's never full

5. Trailfinders, delightful place to watch RL in the sunshine

6. Blagnac, lovely setting, a bit small but lovely beer terrace.

7. Featherstone. My spiritual home and much improved recently. Needs work on the PO Road end.

8. Dewsbury.  Great Compact little stadium, recent addition of behind the stick terrace a big improvement.

9. Batley, worked wonders with little money.  Fanzone and food are superb. Slope gives it massive character

10. Halifax, Bit of a pig to get to. Poor atmosphere. Skircoat Road stand not fit for human use.

11. Hull KR, nothing bad to say, but nothing good either

12. Huddersfield, nice stadium, poor atmosphere even when full (Eng v Ire, world cup)

13. Widnes, IKEA flat pack done on the cheap, boring.

14. Bradford, tired, dilapidated, cold, eye watering entry and food/drink prices

15. Sale(Swinton), Railway Sleepers for a terrace, poor atmosphere

16. Whitehaven.  Dump

17. Castleford. Dump, asbestos roof

18. Wakefield, Dump, Deathtrap, needs condemning

19. Salford. Soulless, hard to get to, stinks of poo (being next to a massive sewage works).

Cheers Dave

4 hours ago, FearNothing said:

I'm guessing it's to do with certification. I can only find references to union on google, but they require an up to date test certificate to prove the ground is suitable for rugby, and I expect the same rule applies to rugby league. Presumably this is the case with the Rock.

It's a shame because I think the Rock would make a natural step up from Queensway. We could play there for say, 5 years, and rebuild the fan base with perhaps a long term aim to build our own ground.?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-questions-artificial-pitches-answered-12812829

Slightly off track, but have been to a lot of lower league games, but I always take into account  who owns the ground. So many RL clubs just rent of other people I.e union,council.  I would rather spend n stay later in a club that is run down have a beer or six n the money goes to the RL club than some othe place.

To me the ground has to be appropriate to the club, in size, location and identity. A modern ground isn't inherently good or bad, it's more complex and depends on how it has been implemented.

Looking at the current SL stadia -

The Jungle. OK as a Leeds fan I get to see this place at its best, when it's typically packed and noisy. But it's by far and away my favourite away ground; if they could stay there and redevelop that would be ideal. As a stadium it's clearly not up to much in terms of standards but as a place that is well located and in tune with the club and what it represents it's perfect.

Halliwell Jones - the best of the flat packs. Atmospheric, appropriately sized, great location. Great.

Craven Park - the Zeebrugge end is a bit of a shame but it's amazing how this place has come on since I first visited in the '90s. That's partly because Rovers' crowds have increased but also the ground is now pretty tidy, on three sides at least. And it's a noisy place when they put their minds to it.

Gilbert Brutus - a bit of an ugly ground in some ways but it's exotic, well located with decent facilities and it's got a pretty wild atmosphere, especially when the English referees are giving everything against the home team.

KCOM - was pretty good until they closed the away end. The battles with Chav Corner were always entertaining. It's lost something now that one end is totally empty for most games.

Langtree Park - sorry it's fine but it's just not configured properly: if they'd put standing down the side like at Warrington it would be a lot better. All my experiences there so far, even in pretty compelling games, have left me feeling it's lacking something somehow.

DW - I've been there when this place is full for Ashes tests and the atmosphere is amazing. Even in the away end the acoustics seem pretty good. But it's just too big for the club and at regular league games it is a bit dispiriting.

Belle Vue - it just doesn't do anything for me; whereas the Jungle is falling apart but enchanting, Belle Vue is falling apart and repellant. 

John Smiths - 18,000 empty seats and a cowbell do not a great experience make. Now when it is/was full for test matches it can be good and the three Leeds vs Bradford cup semis in the 1990s were amazing events. But it's just inherently unsuitable for Hudds games. On the plus side the location is good.

A J Bell - I've skipped going there for the past three years now; the Willows had a certain retro charm. This place is just horrible.

I've not been to Trailfinders yet but have happy memories of the Stoop and Griffin Park, less so the Valley. At the Stoop it just seemed to be a nice family atmosphere and a good venue with a decent ability to wander around.

My favourite experiences at historic stadia were Knowsley Road, Wilderspool, Pie Park, old Post Office Road and Watersheddings. They were all falling down but were all bearpits at times and were all fully tuned into the identities of the clubs which played there, something a patina of age and memories might add but which is difficult to manufacture.

11 hours ago, Bearman said:

Also the Hearsall Tavern has been voted as having the best Guinness in the WORLD.

I took my mate who worked in the pub trade in Dublin and asked his opinion

"Aye. Not bad" he said.

Then last year I overheard him talking in a pub in Donegal " I know a pub in Coventry that does a cracking pint, don't think I have ever had better".

I gave him a knowing look and he said " Aye, it was grand"!

Good shout.

I'm one of those that purports not to like Guinness, but.... when in the Hearsall I always drink it. Bostin' pint. Bostin' pub. And proper Irish in a traditional Irish way, unlike the Four Provinces at the bottom of the road.

eh?

Thank god the Saints fans didn’t have to stand at Leeds’s new state-of-the-art super stadium tonight. Salford may play in a Lego type ground, but at least it keeps you dry.

We parked at the aerodrome and then a 10min-ish walk to the stadium. The one thing i did notice outside and inside the stadium, there was more stuff up promoting the rugger team that play there, than Salford, unless i missed the Salford stuff. 

Archived