Each Teams Ground Ranked SL to League 1

10 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Good shout.

I'm one of those that purports not to like Guinness, but.... when in the Hearsall I always drink it. Bostin' pint. Bostin' pub. And proper Irish in a traditional Irish way, unlike the Four Provinces at the bottom of the road.

Polite disclaimer.

Please note The Bears we would encourage anyone visiting Coventry to try the Guiness in both establishments. The 4P's are always welcoming and are a valued sponsor of Coventry Bears!?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Very nice ground Stebonheath, if only we could build one just like it in Wrexham.

Possibly the best pitch I've ever seen, and I've been to more that a hundred football/rugby grounds.

Thank you. Look forward to seeing you at Steboneath this season.

I think what is quite clear is that the facilities at the top end have improved out of sight.

Look at 30 years ago:

Of clubs still in the top flight, Wigan, Leeds, Hull FC, Saints, Wire, Salford and Hull KR have all improved substantially.

Of those no longer in the top flight, Widnes, Featherstone and Halifax have improved facilities.

Cas, Bradford, Wakefield and Oldham still have issues.

So 10 of the 14 clubs have improved substantially. 

Of new clubs into the top flight, Catalans and Hudds both have new improved facilities. London less so.

We spend a lot of time complaining about facilities, but the sport has come on leaps and bounds in terms of the facilities nowadays.

21 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Very nice ground Stebonheath, if only we could build one just like it in Wrexham.

Possibly the best pitch I've ever seen, and I've been to more that a hundred football/rugby grounds.

I have seen Fulham/Crusaders/Broncos/Quins RL at every ground they have played at, that must be nearly 100?

For me, one of the things that makes a stadium stand out is when you know that you are at a ground made for rugby. That's why Warrington, St Helens and Leeds are the best for me. My rank order of Super League grounds would be:

1. Warrington - Perfectly sized for them, great mix of standing a seating. I've been as an away fan and to watch internationals and you get a great view anywhere in the stadium.

2. St Helens - Again, not too big. Looks fantastic when full and contrary to popular myths, has an atmosphere that is no worse than Knowsley Road. Nice touches in the concourse with murals to ex-players and themed bars.

3. Leeds - This is just from what I've seen as I haven't been to Headingley since the South and North stands have been redeveloped. It looks magnificent on the pictures and I'm glad they've retained standing in the South stand. If the eyesore of the Western Terrace could be corrected, it would comfortably be the best rugby stadium in the country.

4. Hull FC - A smart stadium. It benefits from having a two-tiered stand, which makes the stadium feel more enclosed.

5. Wigan - My view may be tainted as a Saints fan, as when I go, it's usually full and rocking. And when it is full, it's a great stadium. As with many Super League stadiums, it's let down by being too big for both of its inhabitants.

6. Salford - I think its quite underrated. It's got modern facilities and I've never had major problems parking there, although many have. It's let down by being half-empty all the time, and if the Salford fans could fill it, I probably would have it a few places higher. The traffic around there is a nightmare though and that's probably why I've put it quite low!

7. Huddersfield - Again, nothing wrong with the stadium itself, but there's little appealing about between 5,000 and 7,000 rattling around in a 25,000 seater stadium. I'd argue they may be better shutting the non-camera facing stand and packing them all in to the opposite stand.

8. Castleford - A diplomatic way of putting it would be "retro". But stadiums like this no longer have a place in the game and I have little doubt that it holds Castleford back. With great facilities and the way they have played over the last few years, they would be likely to get much better crowds (from an already decent base).

9. Wakefield - The least said the better really. I've been a couple of times, but don't think I'd ever go back, unless it was a very important match.

I've never been to Catalans, London or Hull KR, but may try and get to a couple of them this year.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think what is quite clear is that the facilities at the top end have improved out of sight.

Look at 30 years ago:

Of clubs still in the top flight, Wigan, Leeds, Hull FC, Saints, Wire, Salford and Hull KR have all improved substantially.

Of those no longer in the top flight, Widnes, Featherstone and Halifax have improved facilities.

Of new clubs into the top flight, Catalans and Hudds both have new improved facilities. London less so.

We spend a lot of time complaining about facilities, but the sport has come on leaps and bounds in terms of the facilities nowadays.

Oi , What about Leyth ?

I can only judge the grounds I've been to recently (last 10 years say)

I'm a Fev fan, I love P O Road, and it has been improved immensely without losing atmosphere

Headingley, greatest RL ground I've ever been on.  Plus it's unique in being a double test ground, Arthur Clues the former Leeds Aussie forward scored a try and a century at both Headingley and SCG

Hull FC good ground

Hull KR not keen

Warrington  nice ground

Saints - only seen it from the outside but looks good

Widnes -went to see Fev play Saints when they were sharing it, nice ground

Leigh - Super ground.

Doncaster - another soccer ground but ok

Huddersfield - I like the John Smiths - been there several times for different reasons - even saw a Union World Cup game there

Halifax - the Shay   great ground

Dewsbury   nice ground, capable of expansion

Batley - one of my favourites to spectate at, but I believe the players call it Mount Unpleasant.  I have bitter memories of this ground. we lost 72-2 in the 1963 Dewsbury and Batley U17 Cup Final there.

Castleford  - a fire trap should have been closed years ago

Wakefield - downright dangerous after dark

London - not convenient - about an hour from Kings Cross, view is poor.  Given supposed stadium criteria for SL surprised they were let in.

Toulouse, not sure the ground we went to in 2017 may have changed, but the one we went to was great, handy for tram.

Catalan - superb ground.

Salford - hate it.  Took us an hour to get off the car park

Wigan - don't like the ground and don't like its location in Wigan.

Odsal  a dump that should have been closed years ago.

I haven't been to the new York ground, and I've never watched RL in Cumbria.

My favourite away ground of all time was Watersheddings, I was disappointed when it closed.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I can only judge the grounds I've been to recently (last 10 years say)

I'm a Fev fan, I love P O Road, and it has been improved immensely without losing atmosphere

Headingley, greatest RL ground I've ever been on.  Plus it's unique in being a double test ground, Arthur Clues the former Leeds Aussie forward scored a try and a century at both Headingley and SCG

Hull FC good ground

Hull KR not keen

Warrington  nice ground

Saints - only seen it from the outside but looks good

Widnes -went to see Fev play Saints when they were sharing it, nice ground

Leigh - Super ground.

Doncaster - another soccer ground but ok

Huddersfield - I like the John Smiths - been there several times for different reasons - even saw a Union World Cup game there

Halifax - the Shay   great ground

Dewsbury   nice ground, capable of expansion

Batley - one of my favourites to spectate at, but I believe the players call it Mount Unpleasant.  I have bitter memories of this ground. we lost 72-2 in the 1963 Dewsbury and Batley U17 Cup Final there.

Castleford  - a fire trap should have been closed years ago

Wakefield - downright dangerous after dark

London - not convenient - about an hour from Kings Cross, view is poor.  Given supposed stadium criteria for SL surprised they were let in.

Toulouse, not sure the ground we went to in 2017 may have changed, but the one we went to was great, handy for tram.

Catalan - superb ground.

Salford - hate it.  Took us an hour to get off the car park

Wigan - don't like the ground and don't like its location in Wigan.

Odsal  a dump that should have been closed years ago.

I haven't been to the new York ground, and I've never watched RL in Cumbria.

My favourite away ground of all time was Watersheddings, I was disappointed when it closed.

The Keepmoat was built for both Doncaster Rovers and The Dons by the council who still own it.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Wouldn’t disagree about New River. Running tracks kill viewing. We were stuck with that when we moved to Enfield for a couple of seasons  

I also preferred it when the club house was in the old stand. 

In the old days my favourite old grounds were Parkside and Bellevue before it was forced to pull down two stands. I am interested to see if the Southstand at Headingley has retained its atmosphere, but since the redevelopment is far from finished I don't think it can be judged yet ,but it does look very classy. I don't think the western terrace will get done for many y years though if ever. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

31 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Wouldn’t disagree about New River. Running tracks kill viewing. We were stuck with that when we moved to Enfield for a couple of seasons  

I also preferred it when the club house was in the old stand. 

Although maybe it's an effect diluted because I'm not watching a game there every other week like yourself, but I didn't think the track made that much difference on my previous three visits there as you can at least get a decent bit of elevation in the stand, albeit not quite as much as the upper tier at Hunslet which provides a great spec. Contrast that to the old Don Valley at Sheffield where you felt a mile away from the pitch no matter where you sat and it actually reached a point where I stopped going to games there because the match felt so ridiculously distant.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, Wolford6 said:

Don't be stupid.

Leeds would be in Bradford.

It's what they've always dreamed of.

Well there is a reason we stopped at Pudsey you know we stopped the " Pidgeons flying backards to keep t spot out o the eyes " but we couldn't do owt for Bradford if we took over there 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I was fortunate to start watching the game in the 80s when clubs all had their own grounds and often had a camera with me to capture them. Clearly the facilities at most grounds are better these days and as has been said earlier in the thread Saints and Wire have built grounds that are anything but identikit or sterile. Having said that  I don't think you can ever replicate what is was like to be at, for instance, a packed Central Park. I took this photo at the tour match v Australia in 1986.

IMG_20190301_0001.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Look at 30 years ago:

Whilst facilities have improved it's probably also worth noting that only 6 of those 14 still own the ground they play at home.

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whilst facilities have improved it's probably also worth noting that only 6 of those 14 still own the ground they play at home.

I don't think that is too much of a concern. Clubs have gone bust over the years owning a ground, or renting a ground. 

Obviously owning a great modern ground is nice, but owning a dump doesn't help anyone really.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, Bearman said:

Polite disclaimer.

Please note The Bears we would encourage anyone visiting Coventry to try the Guiness in both establishments. The 4P's are always welcoming and are a valued sponsor of Coventry Bears!?

Not knocking the 4Ps. I just have my preference in pub styles!

eh?

On 3/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, Marauder said:

The Keepmoat was built for both Doncaster Rovers and The Dons by the council who still own it.

The Council have now pretty much given it away. Club Doncaster (the Dons owners) now also own the lease to the Keepmoat.

Archived