Nigerian Rugby League (Merged Threads)

35 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Just the 300km from Jos and 1,100km from Lagos.

I'm confused about the logistics of this league.

In that case it’s not that much further (4500km as the crow flies) for their first round challenge cup tie at Millom.

Logos are great, but I'd rather see a team photo.  Do they have players first, then make a logo?  Or is it being done the other way around.

I've been following them on FB for a while now and am yet to see anything of real substance get posted there.  All I see are logos of new "teams" and the odd UK-based Nigerian speaking in an interview.

21 hours ago, fevtom said:

In that case it’s not that much further (4500km as the crow flies) for their first round challenge cup tie at Millom.

22 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Just the 300km from Jos and 1,100km from Lagos.

I'm confused about the logistics of this league.

Will need to see what teams get announced next.

I wonder who the aussies are?

“Obviously, there are a lot of players in the UK who qualify for Nigeria but also plenty of players in Australia, six of whom play for NRL teams and if we can get kids at a young age, we could definitely create the next Martin Offiah.”

10 minutes ago, Copa said:

I wonder who the aussies are?

“Obviously, there are a lot of players in the UK who qualify for Nigeria but also plenty of players in Australia, six of whom play for NRL teams and if we can get kids at a young age, we could definitely create the next Martin Offiah.”

Me too. Moses Mbye must be one. 

It would be great to see RL make some in roads into Nigeria. 

Potentially there's a huge player pool there of talent, as long as you can offer the players educational opportunities alongside rugby there should be alot of interest. 

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Of Gambian descent.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. My mistake. It does make me think who are the 6 then? 6 is alot of players. 6 NRL players would give a reasonable national team with say 7 UK based players and some home based ones. 

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

This guy is doing phenomenal work for the sport. Hats off to him. 

To come from a standing start a few years ago.

Creating a new domestic league and bringing in big name partners.

Hosting Africa's first international rugby league tournament.

The new Eric Perez  .....

16 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

To come from a standing start a few years ago.

Creating a new domestic league and bringing in big name partners.

Hosting Africa's first international rugby league tournament.

The new Eric Perez  .....

West Africa must have huge untapped potential. Imagine the possibilities for the international game.

Have you seen any games on YouTube etc of Nigerian RL? Keen to have a look

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Thank you for clearing that up for me. My mistake. It does make me think who are the 6 then? 6 is alot of players. 6 NRL players would give a reasonable national team with say 7 UK based players and some home based ones. 

To be honest I can’t think of many NRL players with African heritage. One of the few I can think of is the now retired Jamal Idris who does have a Nigerian father.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived