Eddie Hemings hanging up the mic

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Agree, let's blood the young'uns.

He'd get Sky through this season and he's a former Press Officer for the Rugby League. He's a genuine fan, has a sense of humour and has been a BBC commentator at the Olympics.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Partridge's TV career has recently been re-launched, and he does have some past form in RL commentary. :wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

He'd get Sky through this season and he's a former Press Officer for the Rugby League. He's a genuine fan, has a sense of humour and has been a BBC commentator at the Olympics.

Good point, he was decent in Moscow in 1980.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Good point, he was decent in Moscow in 1980.

He's still good on Look North. The other presenters tease him about how old he is so that would automatically add a humorous element to the Sky commentary and magazine shows.

He is fit though and does a long-distance challenge every year for Comic Relief. One year he did a week-long bedpush challenge with Amy Garcia. She was at the front and he was at the back. One night they asked him how it was going and he said that it was hard work but he had the best view in the house.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Is their any current football commentators that work for sky with an interest in RL ?

Idd like to see Dave Woods along side Tony Rae and John Wells with Carney staying as presentor in the studio along side some current and ex players like John Wilkin, JJB and Paul Scunthorpe 

2 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

Idd like to see Dave Woods along side Tony Rae and John Wells with Carney staying as presentor in the studio along side some current and ex players like John Wilkin, JJB and Paul Scunthorpe 

I’d back that selection.   And the Aussie girl who does the NRL magazine show down under.

12 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Mark Chapman

Has he ever done commentary? It really isn't the same as being a presenter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eddie has been the voice of Rugby League over a period of tremendous change and has been the voice behind some of our most memorable, epic moments. I'm genuinely a bit sad that he's going - it's the end of a notable era when everything changed.

As for who next, I would very much like to see Richard Stead from Radio Humberside/Super League Show given a go - he's a great commentator, quick on his feet (mentally, not I fear literally) and can be relatively humorous whilst still being able to focus on the action.

Out of all the people sky use, Bill Arthur is probably the best, Rod Studd, decent bloke but incoherent and shouty since he started doing the darts.

There are some good radio commentators about who call the game as opposed to just waffle through a game which is sky's most frustrating aspect.

Eddie and Stevo were good, good for the game and became known, but sadly they got turned into some characters which never left them, added to the fact that sky then found jobs for all the others meant the last few years haven't been enjoyable.

Less people, more substantial commentary for me please and cut out the inane babble!

As for Eddie, he's been great but has slowly been dragged into the playtime banter stuff, good luck to him in his retirement.

Phil Kinsella is a good call (Red Willow).

Eddie has been past his best for a while, but, he has been good for the sport and he has never been anything less than enthusiastic.

Someone mentioned time out for prostrate cancer, that was BIll Arthur, I don't recall it being Eddie.

The suddenness, could be ill health, end of contract, change of management, however I do hope that it his call and he has just been waiting for his replacement to come free so he can then enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

It was Bill Arthur who had to have time out for prostate cancer. Given that we're now in the #MeToo era, what's the betting we end up with Angela Powers (retreats into VERY deep nuclear bunker shutting the door firmly behind him!).

More chance of Austin Powers , Gary Powers and Phil the Power 

Fitting that his last game will be the worlds biggest rugby derby at the home of the world's biggest rugby club.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Fitting that his last game will be the worlds biggest rugby derby at the home of the world's biggest rugby club.

Surprised he's flying out to Brisbane for his swansong. I thought it was reported he was doing a local game that's being payed in a football stadium.

Archived