Eddie Hemings hanging up the mic

On 3/1/2019 at 5:07 PM, DavidM said:

Voss is the best in the business by a distance . Loves and has great knowledge of the British game . If there was half a chance I’d sack all of these and give him their wages to get him , but he’s in a great thing as lead comms and presenter on Fox

This 1000%! It’s not just getting Voss because of his ability as a great lead commentator, it’s because he genuinely enjoys the British game and would bring a whole knew perception to the viewers imo. He’s been asked on Twitter a few times if he would and always suggests he would but that the job is already filled. Not any more Vossy! 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he and stevo did a great job when super League first started,but more recently Eddie was having more and more Ray French moments getting things mixed up and wrong names. Sadly time to go.

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Given that we're now in the #MeToo era, what's the betting we end up with Angela Powers (retreats into VERY deep nuclear bunker shutting the door firmly behind him!).

Yes. Because that what #metoo is all about. 

Was a very good commentator in the past, sadly he's a shell of that, too much just calling the names out which is exactly what John Motson did for most of his career and only able to describe the action in the replay. SKY need to use a radio commentator, these people are the ones who are able to describe the action, not just call the players names out and don't have the 'luxury' of having a chin-wag over something banal whilst play is going on and know when is the time to discuss a scenario/controversial moment

It's a shame that they aren't having a full clear the decks moment as the rest are a pile of poop and should be got shot of long before EH.

Thanks for your efforts Eddie and good luck to you whatever you do next, enjoy your retirement.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, Thunder Road said:

About time..

Get Jamie Jones on board then Jon wilkin..

Some commentators who are relevant.

Hope Phil Clarke is next to go followed by rod studds. 

Sorry to say but Jamie Jones diction is not good enough for a commentating position IMO.

15 hours ago, M j M said:

Eddie has been the voice of Rugby League over a period of tremendous change and has been the voice behind some of our most memorable, epic moments. I'm genuinely a bit sad that he's going - it's the end of a notable era when everything changed.

As for who next, I would very much like to see Richard Stead from Radio Humberside/Super League Show given a go - he's a great commentator, quick on his feet (mentally, not I fear literally) and can be relatively humorous whilst still being able to focus on the action.

Richard Stead is very good and probably deserves to break out of the confines of local radio to a wider audience.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It may have been his job but Eddie Hemmings has been passionate about Rugby League for a long time and that comes through in his commentary.

He may have spent too much time in the early years trying to find the 'controversy' in every game with Stevo but I think this was their way of trying to add to the entertainment. 

I'm pretty sure he found something positive to say about every single game he commented on which is more than we all did!

I wish him well for the future.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, chuffer said:

What's mick morgan up to these days?...

Effin and blinin in his rickin chair

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Amusing moments in RL, Ref tells Tomkins to take ball back 6" for penalty, Tomkins, have you seen how far I have to kick it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, graveyard johnny said:

watch this space for the main commentator to be female, that's how its all going these days

Ha ha ha did you have your cloth cap on with ur whippet in hand when you typed that or did you have a young secretary dressed in a mini skirt sat on ur lap who typed it for you :girlwerewolf:

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 10:35 PM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Breaking News on Sky - will retire next month. 

He's had his critics but I actually have a soft spot for Eddie. Who next? Would love to get Andrew Voss over as lead commentator.

Without a doubt the best sports commentator on Sky Sports.

He will be missed. Very difficult to replace in all honesty

Surely the sensible thing to do is split it between two commentators.This happens in virtually every other sport.The problem with Hemmings is that we heard too much from him,particularly when he presented as well.Anybody can get repetitive.

I'd have no problem with Bill Arthur on a thurs,at least he is lively and enthusiastic and perhaps someone more professional for the friday game.Frankly,anyone will struggle until they get rid of the two clowns.

14 minutes ago, cookey said:

Surely the sensible thing to do is split it between two commentators.This happens in virtually every other sport.The problem with Hemmings is that we heard too much from him,particularly when he presented as well.Anybody can get repetitive.

I'd have no problem with Bill Arthur on a thurs,at least he is lively and enthusiastic and perhaps someone more professional for the friday game.Frankly,anyone will struggle until they get rid of the two clowns.

14 minutes ago, cookey said:

While I find Barry funny as , Terry trys to copy and doesnt hit the spot , but watching the Toronto coverage , when each has been on their own with just the one commentator , they are fine as genuine summarisers

So for me that would be the way to go , have Barry and then Terry alone with a single different commentator each night , dump Cummins [ they should not have a ref as a summariser ] have Carney and wells in the studio with perhaps a guest joining them each week

Oh , and I forgot , put Clarke in charge of making the tea

When we held the WC a few years back and when it was on Premier there was Vossy but next to him in the commentary box and was a breath of fresh air and decent as well was Iestyn Harris. So, I'd like to see Sky give him ago.

Also, we need someone who tells it as it is.... maybe give Schoey ago (on the condition he doesn't talk about himself or his past feats).

Archived