Where from here

Dog forever

Don't know where we go from here. 5 games 1 win bottom of pile. On paper it looked like we had a good squad in reality we can't compete . We are just not good enough. Got some tough games coming up and I'm getting a tad concerned about how this season is panning out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears from tonight's team we are back in the blame game, just the same as this sage last season. The coach then was telling us that instructions were being ignored, he rubbed certain players up the wrong way, now that it's HIS TEAM, things haven't changed and it appears that, although part of a (poor) winning team on Sunday certain players are already not flavour of the month, and a 10-0 lead giving away 44 isn't encouraging anybody, board, coach, players or supporters. Bulls next, 1 out of 6 wins would really see us down amongst the dead men. Sheffield aren't all that better than us, that's just shoddy. Serious conversations to be had.

we need a new coach.

simple as that.

some may think it's too early to start calling for Diskin's head but the players plainly are not interested in playing for him.

i really thought this season we might shock a few teams but we are looking increasingly like bottom 3 material.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

It’s a very poor start, that’s for sure. The Board have shown unrivalled loyalty to the coach over the past year. Is it going to continue?

I don’t expect anything else.

Very disappointing again and the coach is not good enough at this level. 

Hopes of a competitive season are  fast disappearing.

30 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Got to say for what it’s worth,the squad you’ve got this season should be doing better than you are,as Diskin says this is his team. 

Bang on Graham. Improvement needs to happen and fast. The warning signs were shining bright against Rochdale I hoped for a better showing tonight but bottom 4 is looking like a reality for us now.

lets not pin all this on the coach,they have a board room and a big table for a reason and its not pie n peas. diskins been backed to the hilt and should a gone 2 blackpools since after the verbel attack on the fans, but far worse as gone in within his reign that the board should have acted on both on and off the pitch. dare say we will get another"come on guys stick with it" condesending post before days out, that squad a players have shown they can play some great rugby and have shown at times the old dog defence of old, but it was clear for even the neutral fan to see at the rochdale game they had no desire and the team spirit was gone same as last year for weeks on end, cracking ground, hell of a set a players,stonking fans,cracking board,rubbish coach from day one and 3 years  wasted and almost took us back 5 years.:read:

10 minutes ago, silverback said:

lets not pin all this on the coach,they have a board room and a big table for a reason and its not pie n peas. diskins been backed to the hilt and should a gone 2 blackpools since after the verbel attack on the fans, but far worse as gone in within his reign that the board should have acted on both on and off the pitch. dare say we will get another"come on guys stick with it" condesending post before days out, that squad a players have shown they can play some great rugby and have shown at times the old dog defence of old, but it was clear for even the neutral fan to see at the rochdale game they had no desire and the team spirit was gone same as last year for weeks on end, cracking ground, hell of a set a players,stonking fans,cracking board,rubbish coach from day one and 3 years  wasted and almost took us back 5 years.:read:

Some great points made Silverback. Something is clearly not working between Coach and team. The Bulldog spirit that is evident in everything you mentioned - supporters, Board of Directors, Volunteers, stadium, etc, is sadly lacking at the business end, i.e. on the pitch. An appreciation of who we are and what we stand for at Batley Bulldogs, with our immense heritage and sense of pride, fight, and bite, is not being transferred to players, who are clearly not sticking to a game plan due to a lack of confidence in that plan, and also a lack of motivation and belief in themselves, both issues unfortunately pointing to the Coach. 

It is frustrating that in the final year of his contract, Matt Diskin appears to be running the clock down by deflecting blame rather than taking responsibility and 'bottoming' the current situation. The question is, is he up to that job?

The performance by the players was so much like previous years (yes even when Kear was in charge) after 30 minutes of controlling the game as a team we rolled out the white flag and invited the Eagles to dominate the game. A number of players kept going to the end of the game but they were in the minority, the whole team needs to look at the full match and ask themselves do I deserve a shirt after that performance because if they are honest the answer for a number of them will be no. The team including coaching staff have a week to turn things round or a lot of Bulls fans will really enjoy there afternoon at the Mount. I was confident at the start of the season that we would be a competitive team this year similar to the year Sharpe took over but like then it is looking like I will be disappointed.

I was confident at the start of the season that we would be a competitive side but 4 out of 5 matches has already shown we will be fighting for points against the bottom six teams in the league rather than than the top eight.  

Can the present coaching staff turn things round? As the season started I had full confidence in them but now they have to show they can pick a team to compete and motivate the player's to play to the best of their ability.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

one win in five not good enough , i can see us losing the next five, then Swinton at home a possible wooden spoon match , the coach is well into his third season and we,re miles worse off than when he took over disgruntled fans staying away, do we really want to drop to league one, thats where we,re heading so come on Mr. Chairman smell the coffee before we,re doomed

1 hour ago, Bulldog Days said:

Some great points made Silverback. Something is clearly not working between Coach and team. The Bulldog spirit that is evident in everything you mentioned - supporters, Board of Directors, Volunteers, stadium, etc, is sadly lacking at the business end, i.e. on the pitch. An appreciation of who we are and what we stand for at Batley Bulldogs, with our immense heritage and sense of pride, fight, and bite, is not being transferred to players, who are clearly not sticking to a game plan due to a lack of confidence in that plan, and also a lack of motivation and belief in themselves, both issues unfortunately pointing to the Coach. 

It is frustrating that in the final year of his contract, Matt Diskin appears to be running the clock down by deflecting blame rather than taking responsibility and 'bottoming' the current situation. The question is, is he up to that job?

So what was the game plan?  It seemed to me it was to get opposition players sinbinned or sent off, particularly Farrell.  Hardly a winning formula as was proved by the outcome of the game.  The most telling point was Sheffield's last try which came straight from the kick off.  It bounced over a Batley player and a Sheffield forward scored under the post.  Summed up for me the players' lack of commitment throughout the game.

46 minutes ago, Fishmonger said:

So what was the game plan?  It seemed to me it was to get opposition players sinbinned or sent off, particularly Farrell.  Hardly a winning formula as was proved by the outcome of the game.  The most telling point was Sheffield's last try which came straight from the kick off.  It bounced over a Batley player and a Sheffield forward scored under the post.  Summed up for me the players' lack of commitment throughout the game.

The next game will be critical. Surrender, and we will be annihilated. Let's see what Diskin can do in a game where little motivation is needed for a massive local derby with various links between the Clubs. If we perform with the same lethargy and lack of commitment to the cause then Diskin should do the honourable thing for all concerned.

I don't like saying it, but I did state that before the season started that I thought we had not recruited well and so it appears to be coming true, even Widnes on minus will over take us and relegation is starting to appear to be a reality.

Having said that I will still be going up to the Mount.

Friday night fright night.

Diabolical after the first 20 minutes, when I suspect Sheffield had underestimated us.

most worrying of all, is we look totally unfit. At the end of the first half we looked knackered!

A team with no leaders in it and no tactics whatsoever.

Tactics wise, where do you start? Totally naive from Diskin and as already stated, completely out of his depth.

Nailed on bottom 4 now, Widnes will catch us up in no time! Let’s hope the board act before it’s too late, although I suspect that is unlikely.

The warning signs have been there for a while. We need an experienced coach. The Championship is no place for a head coach cutting his teeth. We seem a mile away in quality from the days under Harrison and JK. Sad. And the die-hard supporters continue to drift away. Supported this club for 38 years but the distractions on a Sunday have never been more attractive based on the current regime.

KNs loyalty to MD and not the paying supporters, is getting beyond a joke. To be expected to pay up and shut up every game is running more than thin to say the least. 

Do I really have to stop going to the Mount and hurt the club in their pockets to get the message across.

Fans are sacking the club by not going to the games, can't he see this, is he really that blind or doesn't he care.

3 years of rubbish KN, 3 years and I can't stomach much more.

Loyal supporters are being taken for granted. It must take 10 good games to gain a supporter, 2 bad games to lose them.

But we don't sack the coach at Batley.

whatever anyone says or thinks i'm afraid we're stuck with Mr. Diskin until the end of the year.

i'm going to the Bulls game and if we are as dross as the last 5 games thats me done until a new coach is in.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

I have read that according to MD we had released Davey, Farrell, Crookes and Walker.  I had assumed that it was a simple case of the Eagles being in a position to offer more money.  All four are excellent players but I can understand Walker being released given his age and that we still have Brambani in the fold. However, Davey would have been very much towards the top of my "retain" list, whilst the go forward of Crookes and Farrell would have served us well.  Have we lost players because we can no longer afford to retain them, or because the coach thought that he could improve the squad by letting some go?

19 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

I have read that according to MD we had released Davey, Farrell, Crookes and Walker.  I had assumed that it was a simple case of the Eagles being in a position to offer more money.  All four are excellent players but I can understand Walker being released given his age and that we still have Brambani in the fold. However, Davey would have been very much towards the top of my "retain" list, whilst the go forward of Crookes and Farrell would have served us well.  Have we lost players because we can no longer afford to retain them, or because the coach thought that he could improve the squad by letting some go?

maybe they just wanted to be part of a winning coachs ideas,eagles sure aint done bad with what some people thought were cast offs, strange how even ainy turned the clock back v us by about 5 years and had a blinder.we seen when dom were out patch suffered in a few games,same when patch were out dom had a nightmare at times, all too late now but we need a  wakey wood/miller type to show us round the park,and lets face it we have one hell of a set a players this time round so must be coach getting things way wrong, some teams would love brownie/scotty/mannu/wardy/gledds/jc/leaky/retts/cropper/ sad times to come yet again.

Il cattuvi, time to drop the gentlemanly tag, and act. I disagree to a degree about recruitment...Downs is doing his work, Yates can't get a regular game, played great at Halifax, Wood fitting in well, Dickinson looks good and Brearley. We've trumpeted Bienek, put the effort in on his debut, dropped straight off. Tiara is one who is clearly carrying the can, despite this being 'the coach's team. He had a poor attitude towards the players early doors last year and despite his assertions of being ahead in training before Christmas, it appears to have returned. Despite the bad times we endured under John Kear there was always the expectation that his experience would eventually shine through which it did, so never backed a Kear out programme.  The current coach, apart from a 7 match run in 2018's play-off has on the whole presided over 2 and a bit seasons of mediocrity, and it's time to change. Who For? How about doing a Fev...Ben Black for a start, could bring a couple with him....look at a SL assistant like Halifax did....a Dogs dream-team Lingard and Maun....over to you, but it needs to be quick, as everyone says, 5 tough games coming up, 1 win out of 10 would then put us firmly in a relegation battle.

Archived