Today

Monkeymagic22

I have just heard it on Radio Leeds , what the h--l is going on. I feel sorry for the travelling fans. Looks like game over at half time

But not 28 points that much better at half time.

Carr will have to do a lot of motivating for next weeks match, as Sheffield seem to be no pushovers, as he will have to write off todays match to experience

A question would we be so disappointed if Widnes had not been in administration this week? To be honest it was always going to be a tough ask to win over there on an artificial field, which we never play well on against a full time team. As I see it their team hasn’t really changed and maybe this weeks events have given them a bit of a seige mentality backed by what sounds like a big crowd. I think we were just a bit unlucky with the timing.

That being said we do need to improve our defence particularly on our own goal line or it is going to be a long season.

34 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

A question would we be so disappointed if Widnes had not been in administration this week? To be honest it was always going to be a tough ask to win over there on an artificial field, which we never play well on against a full time team. As I see it their team hasn’t really changed and maybe this weeks events have given them a bit of a seige mentality backed by what sounds like a big crowd. I think we were just a bit unlucky with the timing.

That being said we do need to improve our defence particularly on our own goal line or it is going to be a long season.

Couldn't agree more. I doubt anyone really expected us to win there before the events of the last week or so and even with those it hasn't changed things much in terms of their relative strength. I suspect they and Toronto are at least a good step ahead of everyone else. On the brightside, we arguably did better than the supposed 'best part time team in the country'.

First half we didnt get going - cant even blame the ref as he gave us the majority of the first half descisions but by the time we got going we were 22-0 down

We didnt make any clean breaks in the first half and got close to their line once 

Widnes were inspired from the start - helped by W Boas droppin the kick off and them scoring on their first set but they ran it in a lot better and harder than us 

Second half we had a go and chanced our arm a bit but that maybe down to Widnes throwing it about and dropping their intensity a bit also - ref gave us majority again so cant blame that

We really missed Teteh today - his occasional big hit and defence was needed when we was under the pump in that first 15 mins, he wouldve played opposite gelling as well, instead it was Golding who is not a centre & perhaps it shouldve been Hardy playing there today

Dan Smith was immense again and an extension of his loan should be explored this week for sure

23 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

First half we didnt get going - cant even blame the ref as he gave us the majority of the first half descisions but by the time we got going we were 22-0 down

We didnt make any clean breaks in the first half and got close to their line once 

Widnes were inspired from the start - helped by W Boas droppin the kick off and them scoring on their first set but they ran it in a lot better and harder than us 

Second half we had a go and chanced our arm a bit but that maybe down to Widnes throwing it about and dropping their intensity a bit also - ref gave us majority again so cant blame that

We really missed Teteh today - his occasional big hit and defence was needed when we was under the pump in that first 15 mins, he wouldve played opposite gelling as well, instead it was Golding who is not a centre & perhaps it shouldve been Hardy playing there today

Dan Smith was immense again and an extension of his loan should be explored this week for sure

It would appear that it already has. TPH posted this a couple of days ago on the Tom Holmes thread:

......when Dan Smith signed the implication seemed to be that it would be potentially longer than a month with a recall clause...
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/huddersfield-giants-forward-makes-temporary-switch-to-yorkshire-neighbours-1-9563550

“It’s a club that’s local to him, all parties have the recall clause in place after the initial month and we’ll review the situation then.”

Another good game from Cameron.  I see no reason why Widnes shouldn't start a fundraising appeal amongst the generous RL community to sign him up before next weekend. (On the grounds that they can't field a sufficiently dominant team to annihilate part time Barrow next week).

2 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Why wasn't Danny Craven as clever and motitvated when he played for us?  Difference between the teams?  They played smart football, we played dumb.  Turning it inside time after time.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Another good game from Cameron.  I see no reason why Widnes shouldn't start a fundraising appeal amongst the generous RL community to sign him up before next weekend. (On the grounds that they can't field a sufficiently dominant team to annihilate part time Barrow next week).

Thank heavens for any begging buckets going round the grounds last week, taking the RL community for fools.

#prayforwidnes

The second incredibly poor first 20 minutes of the season. Against Batley it didn't cost us, today it put us out of the game. Surely the coaching staff and players were aware Widnes would be fired up and shoot out of the blocks, we looked like we were still in bed. I think we gave up as soon as Watson made the error on the first tackle. Very disappointing.

I've said it on a couple of occasions we're very slow when we try to pass the ball around, the majority of our tries are close range barges over the line, we didn't break the line at all in the first half yesterday. After some discussion of where Tom Holmes fits in the side, I think he walks in wherever he wants to.

What a travesty, administration, bought  out,still paying all their players full time wages. nothing has changed and that post above from Adam just proves the whole game is in a complete |& utter mess.  

Dont forget every minute counts but I think that only applies to fev when they keep going to sleep during matches. We need a bit of Dewsbury spirit like they showed yesterday until they made some terrible blunders in the last quarter a game they should have won but great effort Dewsbury.

On a better note looks like that club Widnes you know the one that was invited into super league if my memory serves me right will be getting more help.

Clubs set to aid Widnes

After Widnes were saved from extinction last week, they are set to receive further help from Super League clubs to cut their losses in terms of playing squad. The Vikings were forced to let go of three players – Krisnan Inu, Wellington Albert and Adam Tangata – but are set to bring in some loan signings to bolster their squad.

Keiron Purtill still has a squad of 25 players, however most are still young and inexperienced, while star fullback Olly Ashall-Bott is still injured. Players like Wakefield’s Jordan Baldwinson and Wigan’s Jack Wells are just two names that have been mentioned as potential incomings.

Seems pretty likely that this weekend will turn out to be the worst possible one to have played Widnes, not just because of the emotional boost they clearly received but because the departures seem not to have ended at Widnes yet - RL journos are reporting that after turning us inside out yesterday Liam Hood has signed for Leigh today.

22 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Seems pretty likely that this weekend will turn out to be the worst possible one to have played Widnes, not just because of the emotional boost they clearly received but because the departures seem not to have ended at Widnes yet - RL journos are reporting that after turning us inside out yesterday Liam Hood has signed for Leigh today.

Can't say I'm surprised as it's not easy to see how, unless players have taken fairly hefty pay cuts, they can continue with essentially the same squad without running into difficulties again not too far down the line.

Story sort of confirming Hood signing for Leigh here http://www.totalrl.com/hood-set-for-leigh-return/

Archived