Rugby League Back Chat - Thur 7 Mar 5pm on Freesports with special guest Maurice Lindsay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Thoughts on the show, anyone...?

Thought Maurice still speaks a lot of sense,  a man who was derided by the average fan, knows whats required to drag a sport kicking and screaming into the modern scene. 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dave T said:

He was interesting in an after-dinner style, but a lot of his ideas for the  game were dated. Looking forward to seeing what he has to say this time, as obviously he can't just repeat everything from last time.

He was definitely interesting and watchable though.

Having watched the show, I would have to conclude that Maurice Lindsay was the one urging people not to dwell on the past. Quite surprising, but refreshing to note that he wasn't placing too much emphasis on past glories.

8 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Having watched the show, I would have to conclude that Maurice Lindsay was the one urging people not to dwell on the past. Quite surprising, but refreshing to note that he wasn't placing too much emphasis on past glories.

Haven't watched it yet mate, but this is an episode I am looking forward to.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Thought Maurice still speaks a lot of sense,  a man who was derided by the average fan, knows whats required to drag a sport kicking and screaming into the modern scene. 

Unfortunately Lindsay was onto a loser with his association with Wigan, many fans wouldn't let that drop. That is on top of the natural dislike of the RFL. But could you imagine if Ian Lenegan became RFL CEO now!!!

Lindsay was a good wheeler-dealer and was good at getting some stuff done, but he also did some pretty naff things which undermined his credibility somewhat.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately Lindsay was onto a loser with his association with Wigan, many fans wouldn't let that drop. That is on top of the natural dislike of the RFL. But could you imagine if Ian Lenegan became RFL CEO now!!!

Lindsay was a good wheeler-dealer and was good at getting some stuff done, but he also did some pretty naff things which undermined his credibility somewhat.

I understand your comments but he had a vision and was prepared to go for it. He also did not allow a few owners dictate the future of the game. You could see Toronto, Toulouse being given a lot more encouragement under his stewardship. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I understand your comments but he had a vision and was prepared to go for it. He also did not allow a few owners dictate the future of the game. You could see Toronto, Toulouse being given a lot more encouragement under his stewardship. 

The owners did dictate the future. The first SL season was heavily watered down because the clubs resisted.

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The owners did dictate the future. The first SL season was heavily watered down because the clubs resisted.

Indeed. The whole Super League concept has still never really happened. All we got was a tarted up Championship with a lot more TV money.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. The whole Super League concept has still never really happened. All we got was a tarted up Championship with a lot more TV money.

I don't have too much of an issue with that, the SL thing has evolved, we have more professional setups, bigger crowds, nicer grounds, more tv coverage - that is the move from Championship to super League.

The original plan was flawed.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't have too much of an issue with that, the SL thing has evolved, we have more professional setups, bigger crowds, nicer grounds, more tv coverage - that is the move from Championship to super League.

The original plan was flawed.

I don't see any of that being to do with Super League, its just a consequence of more money in the game and benelovent local authorities and clubs sharing with Football clubs. Little has materially changed, Super League changed nothing.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, John Drake said:

This week's topics covered include:

'The troubles continue at Leeds and now Wigan have caught the bug… meanwhile it’s full steam ahead for the London Broncos… Widnes are back on track as they come out of administration… and the Lions are to be unleashed at long last.'

So that's Super League, Championship and the international game covered, which is why it's called Rugby League Back Chat.

Not that you'll be reading this, of course...

Couldn't find it on Virgin despite the claims. The channel numbers quoted don't seem to exist.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

When uncle Mo was CEO at the RFL or what ever his job title was we got mainly positive stories in the media. He certainly knew the value of communication.

Archived