getting closer but no cigar

wayne_r

I am sure its agonising for the team and coaching staff as well as the supporters, I honestly think the performances are getting better so the elusive first win must come soon - no reason why we can't beat Leigh on Sunday.

Followed it via the official Swinton twitter feed on Sunday and it sounded like a decent performance from the Lions.

Sounded like they were managing the conditions better in the first half, particularly the kicking game.

There was a 10 minute spell in the second half where I had to hang up some washed shirts and by the time I got back, Halifax had scored two tries and turned the game on it’s head.

I think at Heywood Rd there’s decent chance of beating Leigh on Sunday.

Well - another game lost :( which was certainly winnable - we dominated for long periods in the first half but couldn't turn it into points - then gave away three tries in the space of a few minutes that meant we went in 20 nil down instead of 4 nil. Showed some poor positional play also letting Leigh kick two (or was it three) 40-20 with the wingers not covering back - of course Leigh didn't make that mistake in the second half.

Second half we out scored Leigh 12- 10...…...which says it all.

Again Fairclough received no protection from the ref - Thornley's attempt at a tackle was either badly timed or intended to seriously hurt Fairclough...………..who to me looked to be  carrying an injury on his right arm / shoulder for most of the second half.

I think Leigh did a number on Swinton - got the players all riled up which in turn stopped them from focussing on the plan outlined by the coaching staff.

Mike Butt is as tough as nails he took a shot from his opposite number midway through the second half, so returned the favour with a knee to the Leigh wingers head the next tackle.

The ref was poor in my opinion Leigh gave away four successive penalties in the early part of the second half while Swinton were camped in Leigh's 20 metre area - but no team warning for Leigh.

Oh well Featherstone next week who after having been well beaten by Widnes two weeks ago - beat Sheffield on Sunday

3 hours ago, wayne_r said:

Well - another game lost :( which was certainly winnable - we dominated for long periods in the first half but couldn't turn it into points - then gave away three tries in the space of a few minutes that meant we went in 20 nil down instead of 4 nil. Showed some poor positional play also letting Leigh kick two (or was it three) 40-20 with the wingers not covering back - of course Leigh didn't make that mistake in the second half.

Second half we out scored Leigh 12- 10...…...which says it all.

Again Fairclough received no protection from the ref - Thornley's attempt at a tackle was either badly timed or intended to seriously hurt Fairclough...………..who to me looked to be  carrying an injury on his right arm / shoulder for most of the second half.

I think Leigh did a number on Swinton - got the players all riled up which in turn stopped them from focussing on the plan outlined by the coaching staff.

Mike Butt is as tough as nails he took a shot from his opposite number midway through the second half, so returned the favour with a knee to the Leigh wingers head the next tackle.

The ref was poor in my opinion Leigh gave away four successive penalties in the early part of the second half while Swinton were camped in Leigh's 20 metre area - but no team warning for Leigh.

Oh well Featherstone next week who after having been well beaten by Widnes two weeks ago - beat Sheffield on Sunday

I wasn’t there on a Sunday, but managed to listen to the whole game on BBC Radio Manchester.

I agree totally with you that those tries just before halftime were a killer even with the Lions having the wind with them in the second half as it’s tough to come back from 20-0 down.

Looking at the table, it still seems to me that the results later this season against Rochdale, Dewsbury, Batley and Barrow are going to be the key to staying up.

In the meantime, hopefully the players continue to take things out of good performances against the likes of Toulouse, Halifax and Leigh.

I think we are missing an experienced campaigner on the field who can stop the team switching off or getting distracted - to be honest hearing Stuart shouting to the coaching staff to tell the team to focus and move on to the next phase of the game, e.g. when they lose possession etc reminds me of how well the team used to marshalled when Ian Watson was on the field.

The last three matches have shown that the team can compete with any team in the league - so hopefully come Sunday they will get it right and beat Featherstone - to me they have the capability...…….

About 25 mins into the first half, while at 0-4, Danny Richardson sparked into life for Leigh and caused us all sorts of trouble.  I know that Lewis Hatton was subbed off at 25 min with Jamie Acton coming on but, I don't know what changes Leigh made around that point but, it certainly worked in Leigh's favour.

Shame it wasn't called off. Lol

On a serious note I do wonder where we can get a win this season. Basically might boil down to two games against Rochdale.

Hope I'm wrong...

It's hard to be positive though it's clear the team is trying hard. Just don't have the stamina or nous to win.

well sadly it was the same pattern as previous weeks - the team competed well for the large majority of the first half and took an 8 - nil lead, but a 5-10 min spell of lost concentration let Fev in for three tries which sealed the match. In the second half again we pressed and moved the ball about, scored one - could have another couple - referee was generous in only sin binning the Fev player who blatantly brought down Ashton as he was racing away after his kick ahead - but that was in the last minute of the match.

Stuart sits behind us in the stand and from his reaction - again the team didn't follow through on plans and actions that they had discussed prior to the match, they knew about Brisco but didn't handle him and Fev scored at least one try of his breaks...…...I though Acton looked good and is definitely an asset.

As for the first win - well maybe next week at Barrow ……….

well you have got us Raiders at the right time due to injuries .....we barely have the 17 to make a side and things are so bad we have a 2nd row and a prop playing in the centres

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

I hope its a good game - with a decent ref (for both teams) I guess both teams will see this match as one of the best opportunities for a win - so I expect it to be a tense affair - last season we drew both games with Barrow - I guess its golden point now...……..

6 hours ago, wayne_r said:

I hope its a good game - with a decent ref (for both teams) I guess both teams will see this match as one of the best opportunities for a win - so I expect it to be a tense affair - last season we drew both games with Barrow - I guess its golden point now...……..

There's no golden point in this league thank god !!!!!  Gonna be a tense affair Sunday. Barrow's injuries don't now appear to be as bad as first thought as we have a few returning.

Archived