Great Britain Tour Confirmed

http://www.totalrl.com/lions-tour-confirmed-as-great-britain-returns-to-international-scene/

They play New Zealand twice, Tonga and PNG in Port Moresby. 

It’s a shame there’s no game against Samoa or Fiji but it’s a decent start. No doubt the games against Tonga and PNG will be sell outs. Hope they have the Tonga game at Mount Smart like the semi final. Pack it out. Or be extra ambitious and take it to Eden Park

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So that's the announcement? No dates, venues, broadcasters, kick off times etc?

A shell of an announcement.

Apparentky the full details are being left to the Kiwis to announce later today 

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So that's the announcement? No dates, venues, broadcasters, kick off times etc?

A shell of an announcement.

Hamilton v Tonga

Auckland (Eden park) v nz 1st test

Christchurch v nz 2nd test

Port moresby v png

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I will take as much international Leage as I can get so that's good. I would have preferred England but I'm not going down that route again.

What frustrates me is two tests against the Kiwis... one test is a tour fixture and three is a series whereas two is such a silly number for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I will take as much international Leage as I can get so that's good. I would have preferred England but I'm not going down that route again.

What frustrates me is two tests against the Kiwis... one test is a tour fixture and three is a series whereas two is such a silly number for me.

Agree with everything you've said there. The 2 NZ games is what's bugging me as well. I suppose I'm feeling a bit more positive about this thing now it's been announced at least. These games aren't gonna be played for the baskerville shield are they? 

2 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Eden Park is very ambitious. Is that going to be a double header with Oz playing Tonga?

You’d hope so because NZ fans don’t attend in great numbers for the Kiwis. At least with a double header involving Tonga, it stands a good chance of selling out 

Just now, Yorkshire Knight said:

You’d hope so because NZ fans don’t attend in great numbers for the Kiwis. At least with a double header involving Tonga, it stands a good chance of selling out 

It can be done. Over 40,000 turned up to watch NZ play Australia in the 2010 four nations. A game that had one of the most outrageous passes I've ever seen leading up to a try for the Aussies.

That game in question was also a double header as we played PNG before hand. As this is also a double header it might, as you say, help push the numbers up again.

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I hope you've all got your pennies saved and your time off work booked.

I've always said something I want to do in my life is watch England or GB play in PNG but won't be happening this year. I've already got my holidays booked up and pennies is literally all I will have left when this tour finally comes around. 

16 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I hope you've all got your pennies saved and your time off work booked.

It is on my bucket list to follow the national team down under but to be honest this doesn't capture my imagination and I am going to wait for a three test series for England vs. either the Kangaroos or Kiwis.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Everyone who had accepted the rebirth of the GB team would have likes to have seen GB play Oz. However, we aren’t, but NZ, Tonga and PNG will be good games, and the way the double headers are integrating the tour with the Pacific Cup will make for a pretty good RL off-season. I’m looking forward to it.

Instead of a 4 Nations, we have 7 Nations playing and if we see the likes of McIllorum, Grace, etc turn out for GB, if it means those players commit to internional RL going forward that benefits the Celtic Nations as well

2 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Everyone who had accepted the rebirth of the GB team would have likes to have seen GB play Oz. However, we aren’t, but NZ, Samoa and PNG will be good games, and the way the double headers are integrating the tour with the Pacific Cup will make for a pretty good RL off-season. I’m looking forward to it.

Instead of a 4 Nations, we have 7 Nations playing and if we see the likes of McIllorum, Grace, etc turn out for GB, if it means those players commit to internional RL going forward that benefits the Celtic Nations as well

I know it is probably just an innocent error but GB aren't playing Samoa. We should be.

10 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Everyone who had accepted the rebirth of the GB team would have likes to have seen GB play Oz. However, we aren’t, but NZ, Samoa and PNG will be good games, and the way the double headers are integrating the tour with the Pacific Cup will make for a pretty good RL off-season. I’m looking forward to it.

And who’s to say GB won’t play Australia Down Under next time they tour?

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If by Irish involment you mean being completely humiliated by the announcement (everybody called it GB except for the guy running RL Ireland) and condemning the sport to forever being non existent over here... then yeah sure the Irish are involved.

Archived