Great Britain Tour Confirmed

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Goes to show how ill thought out this was....some of us tried telling everyone how negative this will be

thats embarrasing

1 hour ago, yanto said:

Maybe there will be a lot less before the tour  even hits Hamilton going my the enthusiasm shown by RL fans on this messsage board . ?

After crying out for years for more International fixtures and for the Aussies to do more to assist the PI development ,2019 is seeing just that and yet the majority of the posters on here are still not happy.

October / November 2019 Fiji,Tonga,Samoa,PNG,New Zealand,Australia,Great Britain,Scotland,Ireland,Italy,Spain,Russia and either Norway or Greece will all be playing in organised competitions or tour games.

Ten years ago who would have thought it !!!

But no, the main discussion is about the branding ,badge,legitimacy of the GB team and why no Aussie game.

Gotta love it ?

The only shirt I can find with a Great Britain and Ireland logo on it (in modern times) is the 1999/2000  Patrick shirt . Every other shirt has "British Isles XIII" under the four nations crests.

According to wiki (ok not 100%) the "Ireland" was dropped from the name in 2004 when Brian Noble was in charge and  the side reverted to Great Britain.This despite Brian Carney being in the team !!!

So again maybe the Irish cheif made an honest mistake in calling it Great Britain and Ireland  because that is the ONLY time I have seen it referred to as such.

s-l225.jpg

If Ireland are not mentioned then they are not in and the Ireland boss has no business being interviewed on how great it is to be a part of.. (that BTW is an RFL error too then.. they should have made it clear to him and Carney that the Irish are NOT involved)

if they want to be able to pick Ireland players it HAS to be called GB&I otherwise it is a joke and insulting to the Irish

i want more International RL but I also want it done right.. I dont want Greece playing Italy in Sydney made up of all Australian players (for example) i want more of what is happening with the world cup qualifiers.. I want the World Cup Qualifiers to be important with the GB tour being played over the top of 2 thats 2 of the constituent parts of this Lions concept it either devalues the Lions or it devalues the world cup qualifiers, take your pick. 

The Lions concept is fine but this is a horrible mess of something that is so simple it is laughable they have got it wrong. 

If they are going to expect it to have Irish players available for it and have Irish people support it but not respect them enough to have them at least in the name then there is massive lack of understanding of the world! for example there is no way either my son or wife are going to have an interest in this concept, ruling out a family holiday for Lions tours.. unlike Union where they would both jump at the chance.. and they both enjoy RL!

for your argument on how great a number of games we have.. we are a couple short by having a Lions tour... Take the lions away here and you get an England tour, you also get Wales playing... who could organise matches against France... so thats 2 more nations playing internationals which are not on your list (if you are just substituting England for the Lions)... 

It is very very unclear (as you are highlighting) who the hell this Lions team represent... this is 8-9 months out from the tour.. Brilliant work to all involved!!!

14 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I’ve just noticed that on the same day as GB vs Tonga, Scotland and Ireland are also playing.

What a joke. 

It’s not a joke. In RU, their Lions play whilst the likes of England and Wales have their own schedule. 

To be honest, the fact that Scotland and Ireland have games is a good justification for not picking their players on representative more than merit basis. McIIlorum is probably the only one with a shout, and if Ireland lose him, they will still beat Spain and probably italy who won’t have their full NRL contingent. Ireland kicking up a fuss over 1 player would be counter productive if they want the likes of McIIlorum to represent them.

Wales have already qualified so shouldn’t quibble if Grace, Knowles and Flower (like he ever plays!) are called up. Those 4 for me are the only ones who should have a sniff at a GB shirt, which isn’t a criticism. The GB brand has been welcomed by so many players and has got good headlines. Should be a good tour.

Please look at the badge that has been used on many Lions shirts (and hopefully will be used for this tour.)

BRITISH ISLES XIII.

Now that covers Ireland does it not ??

Only once has Great Britain and Ireland been placed on the badge in modern times. (1999)

Ireland was dropped in 2004 from the official brand.

The 2005,2006 and 2007 Lions were  also known as Great Britain...... were where all you guys that are now kicking up a fuss back then ??.

In 2004,2005,2006 and 2007  the Great Britain Lions were not a joke,didnt devalue the brand,wasnt laughable,a horrible mess,embarrassing,got it wrong  bla bla bla. 

So someone please tell me why they are now ??? 

I wonder how many were thinking  "what an embarrassment this is" when the Great Britain Lions beat Australia on 13th November 2004 at Wigan or 4th November 2006 in Sydney or the 2007 three game whitewash against the Kiwis .???

ye I thought not !!!

Must be the new PC world we are living in or Rugby League fans once again looking for things to rubbish the game that we are all supposed to love.

Then you wonder why we struggle when our own supporters nit pick and are so negative at everything the game tries to do.

These Lions are branded Great Britain as they have been since 2004.

If they put the British Isles XIII badge on the shirts everything is covered .

Get over it 

Great_Britain_rugby_league_crest.png

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Little England in a nut-shell. Jacob Rees-Mogg would be proud.

Yup, it's really quite depressing. I got sent the video above by a mate with the caption 'The tans are at it again', and looking at certain members of the forum...

1 hour ago, yanto said:

1. Please look at the badge that has been used on many Lions shirts (and hopefully will be used for this tour.)

BRITISH ISLES XIII.

Now that covers Ireland does it not ??

2. Only once has Great Britain and Ireland been placed on the badge in modern times. (1999)

Ireland was dropped in 2004 from the official brand.

3. The 2005,2006 and 2007 Lions were  also known as Great Britain...... were where all you guys that are now kicking up a fuss back then ??.

4. In 2004,2005,2006 and 2007  the Great Britain Lions were not a joke,didnt devalue the brand,wasnt laughable,a horrible mess,embarrassing,got it wrong  bla bla bla. 

5. So someone please tell me why they are now ??? 

6. I wonder how many were thinking  "what an embarrassment this is" when the Great Britain Lions beat Australia on 13th November 2004 at Wigan or 4th November 2006 in Sydney or the 2007 three game whitewash against the Kiwis .???

ye I thought not !!!

7. Must be the new PC world we are living in or Rugby League fans once again looking for things to rubbish the game that we are all supposed to love.

8. Then you wonder why we struggle when our own supporters nit pick and are so negative at everything the game tries to do.

9. These Lions are branded Great Britain as they have been since 2004.

If they put the British Isles XIII badge on the shirts everything is covered .

Get over it 

Great_Britain_rugby_league_crest.png

1. ALL the branding that is being used now says "Great Britain" NOT the British Isles, NOT Great Britain and Ireland. Even you are saying "Hopefully we use it" that says something 8 months out of a tour that we have no idea! If they want to call it British Isles then fine (though i think this has issues to be honest) but they dont they are calling it Great Britain... so exclude Ireland fine, but then they talk of having Irish players arghhhhh!

2. that doesnt make it right to exclude it now.. 

3. yes actually I was... I thought, you know it being 15 years further forward, that they may have fixed what was an embarrassment back then!

4. it was embarassing the way Carney and his "irishness" was treated. It was not as much of a mess but as i was saying at the time IMHO if you play as GB between world cups then you play as GB in the world cups.. I also thought it was a mess that you had a "european cup" (or what ever it was called) going on at the same time as GB were playing so the England team was of a lower quality hardly pulling punters through the door... to me, and i said it at the time, it was a mess then too (they have learnt nothing).. I was very glad when they split it apart.. I was also happy to tour once every 4 years as the lions as I am now but get the bloody name right!

5. do you really think everything is going swimmingly for this shower? honestly? a tour announced a while back that until last week we weren't even really sure would still take place. An announcement that was made with either terrible branding or randomly asking a man who has no involvement for his opinion then printing it on your official article, even though it is factually incorrect, is a good launch? The only positive is the shirt but we dont even know how that will look/be branded cos, although it is the main positive, its not been designed yet!?!?!?!  a GB tour happening while world cup qualifiers are going on for 1/2 the countries that are involved with GB.. its rubbish planning

6. again, great performances, great team and i enjoyed the games... but yes I thought the way it was handled in terms of including the Irish, of which one was playing, was embarrassing

7. its not PC to say "i would like you to be included so I will include you", but it is downright rude to say "I would like you included but equally I am going to not recognise your presence"... with the history between the two nations you really would think being a little more careful now would be a good idea. (PC is not a bad thing BTW.. its about not being an ars*hole for the most part)

8. we struggle because those that run the game are lazy.... ALL they need to do is put "& Ireland" under the lions head and not play GSTQ and, to stop the mouthful, refer to them as "The Lions" and job done....  OR stick with GB and let Ireland go it alone (and if this is what the have done then fine.. but you may want to tell the RLI, Irish players & fans and ex Irish players like Carney)

Why is it so difficult to get this right? We can nit pick because this is a forum to discuss things, I will support the Lions because I am English but I still think it is poorly done and IMHO it is lazy and unbelievably arrogant. I can see why the Irish bloody hate us to be honest when you read some of the attitudes towards the terms used.. Like it or not in Ireland the terms are extremely important to people and carry a huge amount of emotions with them, we could at least respect this. 

23 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

Whilst I completely agree that the apparent lack of consideration of the Ireland issue is at best questionable and at worst downright ignorant of the matter at hand, bickering over the name of the team is pure rugby league.

Its frustratingly so simple to have not happened either thats what makes it so annoying. 

11 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

It'll be agreed beforehand between the RFL & ARLC what the split will be of the profits..50/50,60/40...whatever..and out of the ARLC split they pay their players..

Quite simple really..

I'm sure the players wages are guaranteed

12 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Just had a quick look at all the main newspapers over in Ireland to see what the Irish make of this grossly offensive announcement from the RFL..........They don't seem to bothered

Is that not a case of them just not covering it at all.. no mention on the Irish Times or the Independent for example. 

3 hours ago, RP London said:

8. we struggle because those that run the game are lazy.... ALL they need to do is put "& Ireland" under the lions head and not play GSTQ and, to stop the mouthful, refer to them as "The Lions" and job done...

I agree about that being a solution, but I really hope we don't go down that route. Your second option of not including Ireland is much preferable to me.

Great Britain RL used to be our national team. It was never a rugby union Lions type of team. We used to walk out to Land of Hope and Glory, we used the Union Flag, both on the pitch and on the changing room wall, we sang God Save The Queen, we wore (and still do wear) a kit that is clearly designed to represent the UK/Great Britain, we called ourselves Great Britain, the commentators called us Great Britain, we put Great Britain rugby league on the badge under the lion, and we certainly didn't consistently have the four nations badge or any reference to the British Isles XIII on the shirt.

The rugby union Lions have always been different, and especially in recent times, they have absolutely made certain that the team represents the four constituent nations - from the kit design, to the lack of anthem etc.. Nobody in rugby union circles would nowadays call them the British Lions. If anyone did, they would be jumped on immediately and corrected. The way the RU Lions do things works in rugby union because the international game is different. The four nations are extremely well established and well supported teams that play loads of matches in high profile competitions. So, when they come together for a couple of months for the Lions every four years, nobody minds putting the national symbols and songs aside. You have three and a half years to sing your own anthem pre-match and walk out behind your flag, and have your own songs played over the loud speakers in your own stadium. If rugby league had the same, then I'd have no problem with the rugby league Lions adopting the same model. But rugby league doesn't have those things, and that's why I'm massively against watering down the British identity of the Lions in order to accommodate an Irish part that is basically non-existent anyway. That's why I favour not including Ireland so that we can use all the British songs and symbols - especially if we're ever going to play at home (warm up game before the tour or whatever).

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I agree about that being a solution, but I really hope we don't go down that route. Your second option of not including Ireland is much preferable to me.

Great Britain RL used to be our national team. It was never a rugby union Lions type of team. We used to walk out to Land of Hope and Glory, we used the Union Flag, both on the pitch and on the changing room wall, we sang God Save The Queen, we wore (and still do wear) a kit that is clearly designed to represent the UK/Great Britain, we called ourselves Great Britain, the commentators called us Great Britain, we put Great Britain rugby league on the badge under the lion, and we certainly didn't consistently have the four nations badge or any reference to the British Isles XIII on the shirt.

The rugby union Lions have always been different, and especially in recent times, they have absolutely made certain that the team represents the four constituent nations - from the kit design, to the lack of anthem etc.. Nobody in rugby union circles would nowadays call them the British Lions. If anyone did, they would be jumped on immediately and corrected. The way the RU Lions do things works in rugby union because the international game is different. The four nations are extremely well established and well supported teams that play loads of matches in high profile competitions. So, when they come together for a couple of months for the Lions every four years, nobody minds putting the national symbols and songs aside. You have three and a half years to sing your own anthem pre-match and walk out behind your flag, and have your own songs played over the loud speakers in your own stadium. If rugby league had the same, then I'd have no problem with the rugby league Lions adopting the same model. But rugby league doesn't have those things, and that's why I'm massively against watering down the British identity of the Lions in order to accommodate an Irish part that is basically non-existent anyway. That's why I favour not including Ireland so that we can use all the British songs and symbols - especially if we're ever going to play at home (warm up game before the tour or whatever).

havent got an issue with that at all and if that was the decision then, as i've said before, lets go with it (but then they may want to let people know like Brain Carney and most of all the head of RLI)

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Little England in a nut-shell. Jacob Rees-Mogg would be proud.

So now because I point out FACTS that have carried the Great Britain Lions forward wearing a British Isles XIII logo since the "Ireland " was dropped in 2004 I am classed as "Little England" 

Considering  I left "Little England"  twenty one years ago thats a good one ?

So every one at the RLF and every player who has ever pulled on a Lions jersey since 2004 are also classed in the same vien because they played for the Great Britain Lions or administrated them without considering Ireland. 

Guess you voted remain in the Brexit referendum  and like the other 48%  you class those that have a different opinion as " Little England".

That sir is one massive problem you have .

But off course you are right.

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Just had a quick look at all the main newspapers over in Ireland to see what the Irish make of this grossly offensive announcement from the RFL..........They don't seem to bothered

But people on TRL message boards are making a massive issue over it and anyone who has looked at how long the Great Britain Lions have not carried the name Ireland and put his opinion over  is sudddenly classed as a Little Englander .

Then you wonder why people keep off places such as these if you dont follow the sheep people start insulting you.

Good job Im thick skinned and it would be great to meet up with some of these so called Rugby League fans on tour in New Zealand wearing their Great Britain Lions shirts ?

20 minutes ago, yanto said:

But people on TRL message boards are making a massive issue over it and anyone who has looked at how long the Great Britain Lions have not carried the name Ireland and put his opinion over  is sudddenly classed as a Little Englander .

?

Ireland arent mentioning it at all (except the Carney quotes.. brilliant well done).. (6 nations timing is not going to help that... another well done on timing there to be honest..) but I would suggest that if we are to include Ireland and want them to get behind it that actually putting "Ireland" on official press releases etc may actually capture some form of imagination and get some form of press coverage.. the fact we dont give them recognition means we can easily be ignored/missed.. 

As I say if we dont care and dont want them then fine by me but lets make it clear (not wheeling out their chairman and letting BC know that, no it is actually just GB, for example) but if we do then this small small thing could make a difference in a whole load of things.. 

BTW I know how long they carried and didnt carry the name, and the British Isles badge etc.. i made the exact same fuss then, it has not been relevant for 13 years so obviously i havent spoken up about it till this mess..

i dont see why people are so set against calling it what it is... 

Archived