Liam Finn

Les Tonks Sidestep

20 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Never let us down last time so welcome back Liam and it sounds very promising indeed (unless you consider the huge distance between Horbury and Dews as an issue of course)

What about the penalty against Fev that he conceded in the last 20 seconds? (Not that such things are burned into my memory, you understand.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What about the penalty against Fev that he conceded in the last 20 seconds? (Not that such things are burned into my memory, you understand.)

Was the referee that day a certain Mr Hewer by any chance, or someone more recently connected with the club, Dave Merrick?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

One of the few joys of ageing is selective amnesia but trust you to bring back the bad as well as the good!

18 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Was that the one Steve Dickens kicked from the touchline? Seem to remember Kevin Crouthers dropping probably the only goal of his career from a similar spot to beat Fev. 

It was when Finn was taking an age to get up after being tackled - eating up the clock - and a Fev player lifted him up to get him to play the ball, at which point Finn dropped to the floor again. The ref gave the penalty and we lost the match 27-28.

In the old National League 2, 30th April 2006 if I have the correct game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It was when Finn was taking an age to get up after being tackled - eating up the clock - and a Fev player lifted him up to get him to play the ball, at which point Finn dropped to the floor again. The ref gave the penalty and we lost the match 27-28.

Wow that defeat really hurt. Okay so Finn did let us down at least once! ??

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Gee whiz.  Feels like yesterday.  Those moments certainly hang around, even in my old brain. Still remember that drop goal against Fev and don’t think I will ever forget it

1 hour ago, YOUNG UN said:

It was I believe. He had is own personal rule book nothing to do with RFL regulations.?

Yes, Colin Morris.

It was Finn's first season with us and he certainly did more than enough to make up for it subsequently. Like many fans I suppose I seem to remember the downsides more easily than the joy (like that daft penalty that John Hegarty gave away againt Workington in the last minute, letting McCorkadale slot over another goal from the touchline to earn a draw  ? ).

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, Colin Morris.

It was Finn's first season with us and he certainly did more than enough to make up for it subsequently. Like many fans I suppose I seem to remember the downsides more easily than the joy (like that daft penalty that John Hegarty gave away againt Workington in the last minute, letting McCorkadale slot over another goal from the touchline to earn a draw  ? ).

I also remember us throwing the ball over the back fence against Sheffield prior to a dropout from under the sticks and the referee giving Sheffield a last minute penalty for the so called offence to beat us. Can't remember the referee on that occasion. 

Big bonus points with Finny are that he takes the ball to the line and draws the opposition and knows how to time a pass. His positional kicking is also superb. He also has that ability to be able to calm a game down, which we are currently desperate for in the last quarter. He looks slow but thinks quick which gives him a deceptive ability to create space. Defences stand off him allowing him time. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, Colin Morris.

Yes I was there for that one as well. Think we only won a couple of games all season and then Hegarty threw away a point.

And yes it was Colin Morris, he used to give a spate of penalties to one side and then to the other.

I remember Liam’s first game for us . He ran down the line towards the end of the game keeping Lingard at bay with a flurry of amazing hand offs before scoring a brilliant try . Think it was Boxing Day . At that point he just looked like a fat lad from Featherstone . Who would of thought he would return the success story he has become . Happy to have Liam home 

On 3/6/2019 at 3:33 PM, Blind side johnny said:

The last game Colin Morris referee'd

Not that I'm bitter about the win been snatched away

9 hours ago, SheffieldRam said:

I remember Liam’s first game for us . He ran down the line towards the end of the game keeping Lingard at bay with a flurry of amazing hand offs before scoring a brilliant try . Think it was Boxing Day . At that point he just looked like a fat lad from Featherstone . Who would of thought he would return the success story he has become . Happy to have Liam home 

Finn is from Halifax I believe.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:21 AM, SheffieldRam said:

Okay, so a fat lad from Halifax, glad this has been clarified ?

Archived