9-10 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly the game meant more to Toulouse than TWP. Maybe they figured if it's not on TV it doesn't count

7 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Jet lag from the UK to France??? 

No silly...Canada to France...its a long distance with many time zones.   Don't they teach geography over there any more?

6 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Who went from Canada?

Thank you. Given the squad is UK based the travel wouls have been no different to another championship team going to South of France. 

This is a big loss and a wake up for some of their players. Its been coming as others have said. 

I would expect them to get better. They do need a better half back though. 

4 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Who went from Canada?

What are you talking about?...the team is from Toronto, Ontario, CANADA.  Look at the name, check out the website, consult a map....for the Love of Mike.

What is the world coming to?....you people over there need to redesign your elementary school geography program....things appear to be going off the rails over there....next thing you know people will be voting to leave the European Union, not recognizing the obvious fact the Great Britain IS IN EUROPE!!!!

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

What are you talking about?...the team is from Toronto, Ontario, CANADA.  Look at the name, check out the website, consult a map....for the Love of Mike.

What is the world coming to?....you people over there need to redesign your elementary school geography program....things appear to be going off the rails over there....next thing you know people will be voting to leave the European Union, not recognizing the obvious fact the Great Britain IS IN EUROPE!!!!

Mate. 

The players travelled from North England for this game. Last week they played Dewsbury and the whole bunch of em live In the UK at this point of the season. 

You won't play a game in Toronto till 27th of April. 

I do like your enthusiasm at times, but comments like this are just silly and suggest you aren't looking at reality. 

Anyway, better luck next week. 

42-16 is a real pasting. 

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

Mate. 

The players travelled from North England for this game. Last week they played Dewsbury and the whole bunch of em live In the UK at this point of the season. 

I do like your enthusiasm at times, but comments like this are just silly and suggest you aren't looking at reality. 

42-16 is a real pasting. 

We will return to our home base over here in Toronto, Ontario, CANADA...we will assess all game film...we will design special drills to correct the shortcomings...we will be back, bigger, stronger, faster.  We will practice, practice, practice.

Why will we do these things?...because we are Canadian of course.

cap-canada.jpg

17 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Mate. 

42-16 is a real pasting. 

Wooooossssshhhhhhh.....

30 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We will return to our home base over here in Toronto, Ontario, CANADA...we will assess all game film...we will design special drills to correct the shortcomings...we will be back, bigger, stronger, faster.  We will practice, practice, practice.

Why will we do these things?...because we are Canadian of course.

cap-canada.jpg

You mean Manchester? 

Look, I'll try to explain this one more time for all the UK fans since I know many of them are well intentioned but don't seem to understand the truth of the situation; can't see the forest because of the trees kind of thing.

This is how pro sports work over here in North America.  Lets take the Toronto Blue jays for example.  They play the first part of their season in Florida (Dunedin).  They have an office there, field, the whole set up including living quarters etc.  its become part of the community down there; a home away from home if you will.  But no one in Florida is actually daft enough to think the team is from Florida; that would be silly.

Its the same for the Toronto Wolfpack; they have used the Blue Jays as their model..  They play the first part of their season in England.  They have an office there, field, living quarters etc.  Its not yet become part of the community over there (we are brand new) but it will; a home away from home if you will.  But no one in England should ever think the team is English; that would be silly.

That is how pro sports work over here (and very successfully at that).  I'll put this misunderstanding down to the insular nature of sport over there.  Its understandable that the average fan in the UK has no idea of how sports work in North America.  For most, Toronto would be their first exposure to a real professional North American team.

I know it might sound crazy that I have to state the obvious but I will again just to clear up any misunderstandings from the confused English fan: "The Toronto Wolfpack is a rugby team from Toronto, Ontario CANADA."  This is obvious to even the most casual viewer: it is a truth.

I mean honestly, what part of that don't you get?

I've included some photos of the Bluejays alternative home base in Florida so you know I'm not making this up, or trying to pull one over on ya.

You folks are just going to have to eat crow on this one, I'm sorry.   Some of you need to travel around the world a little more. Its a big place and things work differently in other countries sometimes, the world does not revolve around England.

images.jpg

images.png

The 6000+ crowd is all the more impressive when you consider that Catalans are at home on the same day.

Around 15,000 people watched live Superleague and Championship RL in France today. Must be some kind of record.

Hope the TOTO derby is a Superleague fixture sooner rather than later.

That was embarassing.

If Toronto are SL then i'm a chinaman.

Brian McDermott said it was coming after two poor (winning) performances. He said the players were tired after Dewsbury maybe as tired as TO13 after last weekends slog in the mud at Odsal.

Not for the first time the game changed on the half hour with the arrival of Tyla Hepi who upped the pace and physicality of the game.

The sneaky French probably gave the plucky Canucks no water and underinflated balls to practise, practise, practise with.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

25 minutes ago, oiseau said:

That was embarassing.

Brian McDermott said it was coming after two poor (winning) performances. He said the players were tired after Dewsbury maybe as tired as TO13 after last weekends slog in the mud at Odsal.

Not for the first time the game changed on the half hour with the arrival of Tyla Hepi who upped the pace and physicality of the game.

Have a look at my post after TWP played at Leigh, they look as though the have just met for the first time on the car park,  and as for McDermott praising the defences of part time teams against his star studded line up,  he should have a word with the man in the mirror and ask him who is it that coaches this team, individuals will carry him through to victories not his coaching and strategies, not much different than he has become accustomed to.

23 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

The sneaky French probably gave the plucky Canucks no water and underinflated balls to practise, practise, practise with.

I thought they weren't French...are not many of their players English and Australian?...how can they properly call themselves a French side?  Sneaky buggers!

No poutine for them when they come to Lamport!

When this Toulouse team get on a roll they are very hard to stop. My team Hull KR were winning 0-19 after half an hour in the qualifiers but Toulouse then started playing an expansive game, offloading at every tackle, every pass stuck and we simply couldn't live with them.

There simply isn't a team in Super League that plays like they do and when their style is working they can run teams ragged.

At home especially they can be a joy to watch and Toronto are the latest to find out.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have a look at my post after TWP played at Leigh, they look as though the have just met for the first time on the car park,  and as for McDermott praising the defences of part time teams against his star studded line up,  he should have a word with the man in the mirror and ask him who is it that coaches this team, individuals will carry him through to victories not his coaching and strategies, not much different than he has become accustomed to.

What has happened to you Harry?...why have you become so negative?

You used to be a positive go lucky type of guy...now its just anti TWP, and then more of the same.

What happened Harry?

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

The 6000+ crowd is all the more impressive when you consider that Catalans are at home on the same day.

Around 15,000 people watched live Superleague and Championship RL in France today. Must be some kind of record.

Hope the TOTO derby is a Superleague fixture sooner rather than later.

Yes it is an impressive crowd , it was reported I think that the RU fans of the club that plays at Blagnac could get free entry , not sure if the same applies to the main Toulouse team 

But still impressive , and given the result it certainly should help them build a potential SL support

1 hour ago, oiseau said:

That was embarassing.

Just woke up to see the scoreboard photographed ( I’m in Sydney, AU). I was convinced before the game it would be the other way around.

TO had a bad start to the season, and had recently played the weaker sides, so I figured their lacklustre form would result in a loss. 

Its a weird comp this year, with Sheffield and York in top positions and Widnes battling from their points deduction. 

Archived