9-10 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

When this Toulouse team get on a roll they are very hard to stop. My team Hull KR were winning 0-19 after half an hour in the qualifiers but Toulouse then started playing an expansive game, offloading at every tackle, every pass stuck and we simply couldn't live with them.

There simply isn't a team in Super League that plays like they do and when their style is working they can run teams ragged.

At home especially they can be a joy to watch and Toronto are the latest to find out.

Last season at the LSV they started to play with 10 minutes to go and cut us to shreds , they were rewarded with a standing ovation from the Leigh fans 

1 hour ago, Snowman123 said:

Just woke up to see the scoreboard photographed ( I’m in Sydney, AU). I was convinced before the game it would be the other way around.

TO had a bad start to the season, and had recently played the weaker sides, so I figured their lacklustre form would result in a loss. 

Its a weird comp this year, with Sheffield and York in top positions and Widnes battling from their points deduction. 

Toronto did look tired mate.

Wilkin ran the first thirty minutes but looked tired after that.Hepi and Marion changed the pace of the  game and the experience of Toronto was overtaken by the superior fitness and sharpness of Toulouse. Parata was good and Ford started to look like his old self. Robin was brilliant yet again and the only negative point for me was Ben Evans who looked sluggish and out of place in such a lively squad. Looks like he was carrying an injury.

Jake Emmitt went down after a routine tackle on 72 and suffered concussion. The game stopped for a while until he recovered sufficiently to leave the pitch, he looked shaky so here's hoping he's ok.

3 hours ago, damp squib said:

The 6000+ crowd is all the more impressive when you consider that Catalans are at home on the same day.

Around 15,000 people watched live Superleague and Championship RL in France today. Must be some kind of record.

Hope the TOTO derby is a Superleague fixture sooner rather than later.

I really hope so, I would love to see 2 French teams in the competition. 

5 hours ago, oiseau said:

Wilkin ran the first thirty minutes but looked tired after that.Hepi and Marion changed the pace of the  game and the experience of Toronto was overtaken by the superior fitness and sharpness of Toulouse. Parata was good and Ford started to look like his old self. Robin was brilliant yet again

It makes me wonder how Toronto can turn this around.  Fitness doesn’t come in a week or two. 

From Toulouse’s point of view, consistency is their issue.  They knocked off HKR twice last year, and gave Wakefield a good shake for 40 or so minutes.  So on a good day, with confidence and attitude, they are electric.

It will be interesting to see how the different styles of English “big” guns plays out against French “flair” in the comp. On a good day I know what’s more entertaining for the fans. 

I don’t know if the exposed fitness gap is enough for the other Championship sides to exploit, given the overall English style at this level. 

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

What has happened to you Harry?...why have you become so negative?

You used to be a positive go lucky type of guy...now its just anti TWP, and then more of the same.

What happened Harry?

My statement has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you consider me to be negative or otherwise regarding the NA expansion excersize, it is an observation from years of involvement in this game as to my interpretation of this present TWP team and it's coaching administration.

You used the 'confused' emoji to my comments, I will accept that from you taking into consideration of the little time you have spent in Rugby League and are still obviously learning and getting to grips with the many different factions this game has to offer, you recently used the phrase "can't see the wood for the trees" to someone, I will suggest that behind your euphoria of the wins your team has acheived this term you try to delve a little deeper and analyse the performances, I probably have the advantage over your good self, apart from the televised games I have actually watched your team in the flesh from a better vantage point than what is portrayed on the TV or sitting lateral to the pitch side, and your team is anything but impressive.

Your playing roster in comparison to your opposition is such that you should be blowing teams of the park especially the 'partimers' that they are not doing so or at least being  very dominant says something is amiss, is it their attitude, their fitness or the coaching and tactics they receive, it could be one, a couple or even all three of those, what is evident is something is not right.

The TWP team has some good individuals who being better in the main than their opponents will win more games than they will lose, but don't get misguided that they are a good cohesive unit, on the evidence I have seen they are far from that.

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes it is an impressive crowd , it was reported I think that the RU fans of the club that plays at Blagnac could get free entry , not sure if the same applies to the main Toulouse team 

Fairly sure it will be a record crowd for a regular season game (you couldn't get 6000 in at Minimes, for one thing.) It was only Colomiers members that got free entry - there was a reciprocal deal whereby TO season ticket holders got free entry for a Colomiers game and I doubt we're talking many people. 

Local tv has a report on the game which seems to be interviewing some fans who'd never watched RL. Shame there was seemingly the usual media blackout beforehand.

https://viaoccitanie.tv/rugby-a-xiii-le-to-renverse-toronto-leader-a-ernest-wallon/

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Fairly sure it will be a record crowd for a regular season game (you couldn't get 6000 in at Minimes, for one thing.) It was only Colomiers members that got free entry - there was a reciprocal deal whereby TO season ticket holders got free entry for a Colomiers game and I doubt we're talking many people. 

Local tv has a report on the game which seems to be interviewing some fans who'd never watched RL. Shame there was seemingly the usual media blackout beforehand.

https://viaoccitanie.tv/rugby-a-xiii-le-to-renverse-toronto-leader-a-ernest-wallon/

Colomiers members pay 5€ 

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Double edged sword for me. Im a huge francophile and watching fev play in france is the poodles swingers for me.

Not overplaying the anticipated performance of rovers this season, I do so hope toulouse go up if fev don't.

If Fev don't...."It's a Cracker"  Budgie x

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Double edged sword for me. Im a huge francophile and watching fev play in france is the poodles swingers for me.

Not overplaying the anticipated performance of rovers this season, I do so hope toulouse go up if fev don't.

Bloody forinner 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My statement has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you consider me to be negative or otherwise regarding the NA expansion excersize, it is an observation from years of involvement in this game as to my interpretation of this present TWP team and it's coaching administration.

You used the 'confused' emoji to my comments, I will accept that from you taking into consideration of the little time you have spent in Rugby League and are still obviously learning and getting to grips with the many different factions this game has to offer, you recently used the phrase "can't see the wood for the trees" to someone, I will suggest that behind your euphoria of the wins your team has acheived this term you try to delve a little deeper and analyse the performances, I probably have the advantage over your good self, apart from the televised games I have actually watched your team in the flesh from a better vantage point than what is portrayed on the TV or sitting lateral to the pitch side, and your team is anything but impressive.

Your playing roster in comparison to your opposition is such that you should be blowing teams of the park especially the 'partimers' that they are not doing so or at least being  very dominant says something is amiss, is it their attitude, their fitness or the coaching and tactics they receive, it could be one, a couple or even all three of those, what is evident is something is not right.

The TWP team has some good individuals who being better in the main than their opponents will win more games than they will lose, but don't get misguided that they are a good cohesive unit, on the evidence I have seen they are far from that.

Last time I looked the  Wolfpack is 5 Wins and 1 Loss.   I know I'm fairly new and you are an old pro when it comes to RL but I don't think that is too bad Harry. 5 and 1; sounds pretty good to this newbie.

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Last time I looked the  Wolfpack is 5 Wins and 1 Loss.   I know I'm fairly new and you are an old pro when it comes to RL but I don't think that is too bad Harry. 5 and 1; sounds pretty good to this newbie.

I neither know nor really care if you're new to the game or not KM.

Harry's analysis is correct. Whilst 5-1 is admirable and TWP deserve recognition for those results, with the full time and comparitively more expensively assembled squad, it can be argued that TWP's record could easily have been 4-2 or even 3-3 and although a 5-1 record is posted, some of the performances have been under par for what might have been expected of that squad thus far.

Toulouse have not been in good nick and were there for the taking, something that TWP failed spectacularly to do in front of a fabulous french crowd.

Some of the tired looking tackles were dreadful and consistent with a team blowingout of their coļlective botty.

Early doors. The season is long. 

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I neither know nor really care if you're new to the game or not KM.

Harry's analysis is correct. Whilst 5-1 is admirable and TWP deserve recognition for those results, with the full time and comparitively more expensively assembled squad, it can be argued that TWP's record could easily have been 4-2 or even 3-3 and although a 5-1 record is posted, some of the performances have been under par for what might have been expected of that squad thus far.

Toulouse have not been in good nick and were there for the taking, something that TWP failed spectacularly to do in front of a fabulous french crowd.

Some of the tired looking tackles were dreadful and consistent with a team blowingout of their coļlective botty.

Early doors. The season is long. 

The season is early...Toulouse is a good team and bested us on the day....so we are 5 and 1 now...pretty good.

No need to hit a panic button, no need to freakout.  Adjustments will be made.

Its hard playing away from your home fans for such long stretches....it is what it is...but once the lads come back home to Lamport they will be reenergized, a new attitude will emerge when they have us over here shouting for them.... adrenaline will be running in their veins.

No worries on this end...everything will be fine....STAY THE COURSE!!!!!  This whole thing is just a minor bump and experienced fans should know better.

Basically we lost 1/2 of a rugby match...minor problems.

Archived