9-10 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Had to cry off from attending the Swinton-Leigh game due to illness.

BBC Radio Manchester to the rescue, but it’s not the same.

Would appreciate any report on the match from the Leythers on here.

Tough game , Swinton played well in defence and made Leigh work for their points , I can understand why everybody visiting has had a difficult game , still expect to see the Lions in the bottom 3 at the end of the season 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fev end Sheffield's unbeaten record with a 32-14 win.

Sheffield played 45 minutes with 12 men. Not seen the red card so no comment but I guess it would have been closer without it.

There'll be good games in this division and squad depth will play a part.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Games off, after everyone's has already travelled over. Brilliant.

Rochdale statement says ‘due to safety reasons’.  I can only presume wind and the risk from lightning.  What was the weather like over there?

11 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Sheffield played 45 minutes with 12 men. Not seen the red card so no comment but I guess it would have been closer without it.

There'll be good games in this division and squad depth will play a part.

Nah, Sheffield never looked like winning. Really nasty spear tackle. Definite red.

Scrappy game, awful conditions. Fev dominant throughout.

30 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Rochdale statement says ‘due to safety reasons’.  I can only presume wind and the risk from lightning.  What was the weather like over there?

It was windy, but nothing exceptional, and we had a sleet shower. Seen many games played in far worse conditions .Pitch was playable, but covers were not taken off, and there were no posts. Communication from Rochdale was appalling.

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Lightning? I've known stronger winds when the dog farts!

Something doesn't quite add up with this postponement....

17 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

It was windy, but nothing exceptional, and we had a sleet shower. Seen many games played in far worse conditions .Pitch was playable, but covers were not taken off, and there were no posts. Communication from Rochdale was appalling.

Risk from lightning, putting the posts up, coukdve been the reason given the weather forecast.   

Long time since I’ve been there.  Don’t the football club play at the same ground?

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Risk from lightning, putting the posts up, coukdve been the reason given the weather forecast.   

Long time since I’ve been there.  Don’t the football club play at the same ground?

No indication of any lightning in the vicinity. Yes, the football club do play at the same ground. That was the problem today. They have a home game on Tuesday. Events today were a complete farce.Say no .more

6 hours ago, JonM said:

I think there was some difficulty in finding a local TV production company to film it - it wasn't shown in France and TWP were unable to show it in Canada as a result.

Sky broadcasts TWP because TWP pays the costs associated. If TWP dont pay then Sky wont show them play

6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Sky broadcasts TWP because TWP pays the costs associated. If TWP dont pay then Sky wont show them play

Yep. But no-one was willing to pay for a Sky crew to go over to France and TWP were unable to find a local film crew to do it.

4 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Potential banana skin negotiated.

Heavy pitch, freezing cold and blowing a gale.

Well pleased with this result.

Attendance looked more to me from my view but what do I know. 

Widnes just had a little bit more quality. I think only way Widnes lost was if they weren't up for a dog fight which after 10 mins I wasn't sure they were but I think they got into it. Toronto and Leigh didn't come away with wins at barrow last year in similar conditions as I don't think they were up for the graft. 

Very close game tbf but Widnes were just more clinical in good territory. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Yep. But no-one was willing to pay for a Sky crew to go over to France and TWP were unable to find a local film crew to do it.

I think we're saying essentially the same thing

In fairness to Rochdale, simple geography indicates that the weather on the Pennines  can't have been much better than it was for me driving up the M1 and then watching at Batley. Howling winds, driving rain, sleet, lightning and, improbably, bright sunshine all in evidence during the late morning and afternoon.

I was as cold at Batley as I've ever been at Odsal. Full marks to the Bulldogs for allowing everyone to go in the stands and to both teams for putting in a good performance in pretty awful conditions.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 3/11/2019 at 12:51 AM, RSN said:

Attendance looked more to me from my view but what do I know. 

Widnes just had a little bit more quality. I think only way Widnes lost was if they weren't up for a dog fight which after 10 mins I wasn't sure they were but I think they got into it. Toronto and Leigh didn't come away with wins at barrow last year in similar conditions as I don't think they were up for the graft. 

Very close game tbf but Widnes were just more clinical in good territory. 

looking at your Barrow squad it is strong and fair weather will be more suited , getting back Hock , D Toal and Duffy for power and aggression and S Toal and T Ritson and D Hulme for pace and defence and you will go well after the wet muddy early season .

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 AM, JonM said:

I didn't realise Sky crews still went to France,  I thought they took the pictures from Bein Sports ?

Archived