9 Mar: SL: Catalans Dragons v Salford Red Devils KO 5pm (UK time) (TV)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/19 at 17:00

Ouch. Just watched this on replay. 

Gigot makes such a difference to Les Dracs. He consistently lifts the team mentally and has bucket loads of creativity. 

Dracs were done after the game went to14-0 then 20-0 before half time it seemed they really started to drop. Some of the tries Salford scored the defense didn't seem to be trying enough to be set properly. They seemed off the pace. 

Hastings showing some lovely skill. At times he reminds me of Quade Cooper with his passing but is much much more physical. 

Hopefully this shocker will be a blip and les Dracs get back on track at Hull KR next Sunday. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FMOB...just watched the game cos working. Im speechless...sure Im not gonna enjoy a game as much as that this season...what just happend there?

3 hours ago, Sparse Attendance said:

A lot of people will be throwing their fixed odds away after seeing the result, and im one of them. I’m still amazed that Catalans signed Matty Smith and paid a fee for him. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 

Yeah bingo there everything for dragons last season came from Tony gigot and Drinkwater. imo the smith not up to it. 

3 hours ago, winnyason said:

Yeah bingo there everything for dragons last season came from Tony gigot and Drinkwater. imo the smith not up to it. 

It is amazing really that Dracs let go of Drinkwater after his season last year.

About Gigot, can anyone compare the win rate, with vs without Gigot 2017 onwards? 

If I remember rightly they started to win some games after he came back from that ridiculous ban in 2018.

Him and Casty are the heart of the team. 

25 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

It is amazing really that Dracs let go of Drinkwater after his season last year.

About Gigot, can anyone compare the win rate, with vs without Gigot 2017 onwards? 

If I remember rightly they started to win some games after he came back from that ridiculous ban in 2018.

Him and Casty are the heart of the team. 

Yeah seems mcnarmara signed smith well on advance. Drinkwater has much better kicking game. 

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

In case you missed Salford’s sumptuous tries. So many beauts. 

Great to see so much depth in Super League these days. Top 5 is almost impossible to call right now

Fantastic teamwork.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, winnyason said:

Yeah seems mcnarmara signed smith well on advance. Drinkwater has much better kicking game. 

Reminds me very much of the 2013 season and in particular the WC, SM 4 weeks into the season named Captain Slow aka Kevin Sinfield and Rangi Chase as first choice half's for a competition 9 months away, no respect that player's form changes over the season and some can really put a marker down, he also managed to omit the most influential 7 we had and the then present MoS Danny Brough.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Reminds me very much of the 2013 season and in particular the WC, SM 4 weeks into the season named Captain Slow aka Kevin Sinfield and Rangi Chase as first choice half's for a competition 9 months away, no respect that player's form changes over the season and some can really put a marker down, he also managed to omit the most influential 7 we had and the then present MoS Danny Brough.

Yeap spine recruitment can make or break sides. I see this as particularly crippling

1 hour ago, winnyason said:

I think McNamara underestimated how much older players can decline in a season. Tbh Even Zak at Wigan looks like he's lost a little something in the time out and he's only 27.

Les Dracs need a really good organising HB. Gigot / Samkins are dynamic maverick hb/fbs. Someone like a Danny Brough alongside them is what they need. Or the irony is Drinkwater would do. Or the very good Lui at Salford. 

Smith was a very good player and is still OK, just given the lack of creativity in the backline, they need all the organising skill of a good HB they can get. 

Lastly some of Salfords tries were beautiful to watch. Credit where its due. 

And that man Hastings has to be on Lions watch.... 

13 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Did you wonder on here by mistake? You won't last two minutes with an attitude like that!

Credit where it's due, just so unTGG!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

24 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I think McNamara underestimated how much older players can decline in a season. Tbh Even Zak at Wigan looks like he's lost a little something in the time out and he's only 27.

Les Dracs need a really good organising HB. Gigot / Samkins are dynamic maverick hb/fbs. Someone like a Danny Brough alongside them is what they need. Or the irony is Drinkwater would do. Or the very good Lui at Salford. 

Smith was a very good player and is still OK, just given the lack of creativity in the backline, they need all the organising skill of a good HB they can get. 

Yeah so true. Well done to jacko hastings going very well. 

I wonder if young lucas albert could step up. Gigot such an important factor they beat wolves in superb game last week. 

Smith’s decline wasn’t over last season, it wasn’t even over 2017, it was 2016, his last year at Wigan, before Cunningham have him an obscene contract at Saints. 

His stats in ‘17 as a regular starter were abysmal. We won one away game all season that he started and it was a game that he went off injured in after less than ten minutes. His try assists were abysmal, too. 

I cant believe we found someone daft enough to take him off our hands. 

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Even Zak at Wigan looks like he's lost a little something in the time out and he's only 27.

I notice you don't commend the quality of the Wigan Half's to have the abillity to change the fortunes of Catalan, and that is the very same reason that Zac has as you put it seemingly lost something, he simply does not get the service from the Wigan 6 & 7 to compliment his talents.

11 hours ago, Sparse Attendance said:

A lot of people will be throwing their fixed odds away after seeing the result, and im one of them. I’m still amazed that Catalans signed Matty Smith and paid a fee for him. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 

They did not have a scrum half otherwise?

Smith isn't great but he's decent IMO. A much bigger disappointment is Langi who is ineffective whether at 6 or centre, in any case his defense is dreadful. 

Albert has spent the last three years waiting for his chance. Now is the time. He's a better half than Gigot, Langi and Smith. 

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Fair comment.  Good luck to Hastings, and Wigan wanted to sign him...    But having one game against a side that were not really trying and offering him all the time and space he wanted, well that does not make him an international yet.  

But over the season if he shows up then let's hope he becomes another good prospect for international football, I'm certainly not knocking him.

Unfortunately, the knee jerk reaction and prejudicial self serving glee against a player is too common on the interweb.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Smith’s decline wasn’t over last season, it wasn’t even over 2017, it was 2016, his last year at Wigan, before Cunningham have him an obscene contract at Saints. 

His stats in ‘17 as a regular starter were abysmal. We won one away game all season that he started and it was a game that he went off injured in after less than ten minutes. His try assists were abysmal, too. 

I cant believe we found someone daft enough to take him off our hands. 

That might be true, but could some of Matty's apparent decline be down to the quality of the coaches he's been playing under?

As a coach, Keiron Cunningham didn't just look like a fish out of water, he looked like a fish on a bicycle out of water. Shaun Wane, although successful as a coach, didn't, to my mind, coach a particularly halfback driven style of play, and seemed to rely on his forwards a lot.

Contrast that to what Ian Watson has achieved at Salford. He's taken players that were roundly dismissed by supporters of their previous clubs - Greg Burke (dismissed as "fat" by Widnes fans), Gil Dudson (who they mockingly referred to as "The Talisman"), Ed Chamberlain ("no better than 'runny semen' " - a term of 'endearment' they used for hero turned zero centre Charlie Runciman), Jansin Turgut ("not as good as he likes to think he is") - and turned them into a competitive team.

Salford are a bit like The Wombles - making good use of the things that they find, things that the every day folk leave behind - and I wonder if Matty Smith would be a better player under Ian 'Uncle Bulgaria' Watson's watchful eye.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Who the hell is Quade Cooper?

And will I like the answer?

Union Aussie Fly Half. Very talented. Bit tempramental. Great at finding the pass. Bit of Larikin about him. Same with Hastings, who is far more physical. Quade lovely skills but not a tackler. 

Not sure how you feel about union so not sure you will like the answer....

Archived