Wigan win back deducted two points as punishment for breaching cap adjusted

Following a re-hearing, a Sport Resolutions panel has imposed a punishment on Wigan Warriors for breaching the Super League salary cap in 2017. The Club appealed against the decision to deduct two points in the 2019 season and to issue a fine of £5,000, £2,500 of which was suspended, which was originally decided by an independent tribunal in January, whilst accepting…

The post Wigan win back deducted two points as punishment for breaching cap adjusted appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the outside this kind of thing sometimes looks a bit odd . A governing body or panel gives a ruling and punishment ... then some other in another office changes it . So do they get it wrong to begin with ? 

I can hardly contain my surprise.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Absolutely the right decision. Justice.

It was ludicrous to be deducted points for being over the cap by 0.8% with a technical breach due to admin error. A breach which the club informed the RFL of as soon as they realised.

There was no intention to cheat/bend the rules to gain an advantage. Wigan didn’t even make the play-offs that season. 

The original (incorrect) punishment also cited Wigan’s previous record in terms of the salary cap despite it being over 10 years ago and under a completely different ownership.

1 minute ago, Cdd said:

Absolutely the right decision. Justice.

It was ludicrous to be deducted points for being over the cap by 0.8% with a technical breach due to admin error. A breach which the club informed the RFL of as soon as they realised.

There was no intention to cheat/bend the rules to gain an advantage. Wigan didn’t even make the play-offs that season. 

The original (incorrect) punishment also cited Wigan’s previous record in terms of the salary cap despite it being over 10 years ago and under a completely different ownership.

The logic behind your post is flawed. 

So because Wigan didn’t win things, it wasn’t an advantage. Except, of course it was. A financial advantage, whether it showed on the pitch or not, is still an advantage.

Rules are rules, whether under one ownership or not. The business itself, whoever the owner is, has a responsibility to play by those rules and Wigan are repeat offenders and have, as a business, showed no sign of being deterred from breaking rules. 

3 minutes ago, Cdd said:

A breach which the club informed the RFL of as soon as they realised.

1 - Wrong. This only came up as part of the RFL audit.

2 - How do you know that? Had they declared this £14k overspend, as they should have done, maybe they would have had to have released a player. 

Maybe, they didn't declare it because they didn't want to release a player? That would be cheating.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

1 - Wrong. This only came up as part of the RFL audit.

2 - How do you know that? Had they declared this £14k overspend, as they should have done, maybe they would have had to have released a player. 

Maybe, they didn't declare it because they didn't want to release a player? That would be cheating.

Good to see Wigan boiling ###### as usual.

The point still stands, a points deduction for a 0.8% admin error would be totally ridiculous based on previous punishments and in a season not relating to when the breach was made. 

2 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Good to see Wigan boiling ###### as usual.

The point still stands, a points deduction for a 0.8% admin error would be totally ridiculous based on previous punishments and in a season not relating to when the breach was made. 

Well, no, the point doesn't stand, as your point was nonsense and inaccurate.

I have no issues with the 2 points being returned, they were two independent panels, and they have made their decision. I'm glad it is out of the way early on.

Even the above post finishes on a nonsense point, most, if not all points deductions have taken place in a season not relating to when the breach was made.

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It would Dave but Wigan would never do that, would they?

I have no idea whether they cheated, ultimately only Wigan will know that when your defence is 'it was a mistake'.

But both sides have gone through the process and Wigan have been punished for their salary cap breach.

I don't think I am a fan of points deductions, maybe signings bans or similar like they do in football is a useful punishment?

Surely it's your responsibility to not overspend whether it's an accident or not? If you can't trust yourself not to go 0.8% over then either give yourself more room for error or employ someone who can use a calculator.

I don't really have an opinion on if it should have warranted a points deduction or not but deducting points and having them reinstated doesn't do much to help the sports image. Not really a fan of small fines because I don't think they're really a deterrent at all.

Salary cap should be scrapped if it isn't going to be enforced.

It's the second time they have broken the cap no matter by how little........if aything the punishment should have been worse than the first time simply based on that.

Enforce the cap properly or don't bother with it..........i'm happy with either way.

This decision is just another embarrassment for the game.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

3 minutes ago, fevtom said:

1 - Surely it's your responsibility to not overspend whether it's an accident or not? If you can't trust yourself not to go 0.8% over then either give yourself more room for error or employ someone who can use a calculator.

2 - I don't really have an opinion on if it should have warranted a points deduction or not but deducting points and having them reinstated doesn't do much to help the sports image. Not really a fan of small fines because I don't think they're really a deterrent at all.

1 - Yep, and they have been found guilty and punished.

2 - I'm not so sure that is true. We see punishments handed out and appealed in sports all over the place. 

Archived