Memorable games

Wakefield Ram

Keep being reminded from other threads so here's a few of mine.

First game New Year's Day 1974 Dewsbury 14-12 Castleford Jeff Grayson scored two tries

Best moments

2000 Grand Final win against Leigh and their whining coach Aussie Paul Terzis (?)

1976 Beating Salford 17-16 to stay in the old 1st division when they had  an all star team with Watkins, Fielding,Richards, Dixon, Hesketh. Remember Nigel Stephenson was scoring points by the bucket load.

1999 winning at Fev, because it was the first and last time I'd seen us do it.

1988 Coming back from about 28-6 down at home to Rochdale at half-time ton win 32-28. Dean Hall was unstoppable.

Worst moments

Too many to remember

First Game was Huyton at Home, not sure of year but was late 70's.

Best moments - 

Going up in 84/85 season, but before that loving watching the likes of Jack Austin, Malcolm Agar, Bernard Watson etc

Chris Mita - class act and scored so many interceptions

Seeing us win at odsal in the top flight.

Beating Hull KR in 1990, 3 to 2, no tries scored yet one of the best game i have ever seen. 

Last game at Crown Flatts - sad time but so many memories, walking up Leeds Road, playing rugby on the banking at the top end, seeing the likes of Hull turn up and take up the whole ground (Honorable mentions to Halifax (twice), Hull K R early/mid 80's in a Cup game, Oldham in old Div 1 and Featherstone in early 80's, never seen so many NCB donkey Jackets

Challenge Cup game away at Wigan in 1990 - one of the best away supports we have taken away

First game at new stadium

Seeing so many great players wear the red, amber and black that many wouldn't know from opposition clubs - Gary Cocks, Glen Coughlan, Chris Vasey, Johnny Moore, Les Haynes, mick Collins, Dennis Bailey and Eddie Rombo on opposite wings, Dennis trembath, tim butler, dave busfield .............................

Every Derby victory

Worst Moments - 

Every Derby loss

That damn fire

been only 2 in 1973 and the 2 semi final defeats, imagine dewsbury at wembley?

catching pneumonia at least 2 times every season up at the old crown flatts

Defeat to Hunslet in 99 grand final (expected to win, the year after didnt expect to win)

Leaving Rams stadium after one game to have a car full of gloating kids laughing etc out of the window with their Bulls stickers in the back window, although i often think who's laughing now? the general apathy from locals to their local team (batley included) we only have Rugby league teams, sod the Rhinos etc, not enough follow their local teams.

Most of mine are in the 1970's.

1973 Dews v Wakefield Trinity (Challenge Cup 3rd Round) Crown Flatt. Beat a star studded Trinity in front of an absolutely packed house. 

1973 Warrington v Dews at Wilderspool. Championship play off semi. What Murphy, Gordon, Ashurst, Whitehead, Nicholas etc were going to do to us. We were never going to lose that game. Fantastic day!

1973 Dewsbury v Australia at Crown Flatt. Did that really happen. Can you imagine saying that now. I still think my son doesn't believe me. The great Artie Beetson on display.

1970's not sure of the exact year, beating Wigan at Central Park 9-7 in a night match. Nigel dropping a goal from halfway to win it. 

1970's once again not exact on year. Beating Widnes one sunny afternoon when Nigel wasn't playing and Dick Lowe kicked god knows how many goals from all over the pitch.

1980's I think, playing the best Hull side ever at Crown Flatt in a cup comp. We lost but put on a great display. They had Leulai, Kemble, Evans, Crooks, O Hara, Topliss, Norton etc.

Great memories 

1 hour ago, YOUNG UN said:

Most of mine are in the 1970's.

1973 Dewsbury v Australia at Crown Flatt. Did that really happen. Can you imagine saying that now. I still think my son doesn't believe me. The great Artie Beetson on display. 

Was that the game when Steve Hankins got absolutely flattened .... I remember him staggering around completely out of it!!... I think it was Beetson who hit him! 

10 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Was that the game when Steve Hankins got absolutely flattened .... I remember him staggering around completely out of it!!... I think it was Beetson who hit him! 

You are correct 

So many good & bad........ 

Championship Final 73 ...... Top of the pile !!       

Beating Bradford in Challenge Cup recently (Morrison's best game in charge ??)

St Helens in Challenge Cup at Headingley - great game even though we lost

Challenge Cup game at Workington 73 followed by the game v Wakefield in Quarter Final

Beating Leigh (something like 37-36) in Northern Rail Cup 2007

The win at Blackpool to complete the "Invincibles" season

Grand Final 2000

A New Years' Day game at Headingley - Stevo got his marching orders early in the game

Yorkshire Cup Final 72/73........... even though we got spanked

Yorkshire Cup Semi at Halifax........ heck of a game, we lost by a point

The 0-0 vs Rochdale that BSJ refers to ......... AND the first-ever 1-0 vs York - Nigel Stephenson drop goal

Losing to Bradford in CC Semi 1973.........think we were 7th in table and they were 23rd

Losing at home to Cas in (I think) late 60's...... game went on for ever (or so it seemed) until Cas got winning drop goal

The '73 game vs Australia...........Amazing experience

Jeff Grayshon's first appearance in 2nd row..... vs St Helens at home....... We gave 'em a right game

Beating Fev 40-0 at home on a Tueasday evening early season

Losing at home to Huyton in CC

Losing to Sharlston in CC @ Post Office Road............

And they are just a few..................

25 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

So many good & bad........ 

Championship Final 73 ...... Top of the pile !!       

Beating Bradford in Challenge Cup recently (Morrison's best game in charge ??)

St Helens in Challenge Cup at Headingley - great game even though we lost

Challenge Cup game at Workington 73 followed by the game v Wakefield in Quarter Final

Beating Leigh (something like 37-36) in Northern Rail Cup 2007

The win at Blackpool to complete the "Invincibles" season

Grand Final 2000

A New Years' Day game at Headingley - Stevo got his marching orders early in the game

Yorkshire Cup Final 72/73........... even though we got spanked

Yorkshire Cup Semi at Halifax........ heck of a game, we lost by a point

The 0-0 vs Rochdale that BSJ refers to ......... AND the first-ever 1-0 vs York - Nigel Stephenson drop goal

Losing to Bradford in CC Semi 1973.........think we were 7th in table and they were 23rd

Losing at home to Cas in (I think) late 60's...... game went on for ever (or so it seemed) until Cas got winning drop goal

The '73 game vs Australia...........Amazing experience

Jeff Grayshon's first appearance in 2nd row..... vs St Helens at home....... We gave 'em a right game

Beating Fev 40-0 at home on a Tueasday evening early season

Losing at home to Huyton in CC

Losing to Sharlston in CC @ Post Office Road............

And they are just a few..................

Playing Warrington in the cup at home in 1981. What a performance by us. 

Playing Hull in the John Player in 1984. What a crowd.

Playing Leeds in the Yorkshire Cup in 1985. Cliff Lyons made his debut for them. What a player. 

Playing Halifax in the  league in 1989. They'd been in the John Player/Regal Trophy the week before. They were murdering us at one point, but we won in the end. What a comeback. 

Playing a very good Widnes side completely off the paddock in 1999 with the most amazing kicking tactics off all time. What a feeling as the hooter sounded.

Watching all my favourite player's over the years. What a privilege. 

3 hours ago, ginaldo said:

nobody mentioned playing Batley at Widnes mid 2000s 

My old man and me bless his soul made a day of it but were sick to our stomachs. The nerves hit hard and the result meant heart break for one side of heavy woollen. Come 80 minutes we broke out the smuggled picnic!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

My most memorable game was actually a defeat, challenge cup 3rd round in 76/77 when we were riding high in the second division and were drawn at home to St Helens - 10,000 at CF that day and we were 11-0 down at half time- came roaring back playing towards  nine’oil and Harry Beverley got his knees going and scattered their defence to score under the posts, Nigel converted and then John Clark went over to make it 11-8; last five minutes we were pulverising their line but they just held out. Dramatic and absorbing and still in the memory 40 odd years on.

56 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

My most memorable game was actually a defeat, challenge cup 3rd round in 76/77 when we were riding high in the second division and were drawn at home to St Helens - 10,000 at CF that day and we were 11-0 down at half time- came roaring back playing towards  nine’oil and Harry Beverley got his knees going and scattered their defence to score under the posts, Nigel converted and then John Clark went over to make it 11-8; last five minutes we were pulverising their line but they just held out. Dramatic and absorbing and still in the memory 40 odd years on.

A really memorabe game hot on the heels of the previous round's victory over Wakefield, of course.

And that attendance figure was just a joke - there was barely a square foot available for anyone else to stand.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

For me it has to be March 3rd 1991, Hoghton Rd, St Helens (now a housing estate).

About 40 loyal Dewsbury fans were amongst the attendace of 330; they ran out of pies five minutes after the gates opened it seemed and the tea was tepid and weak; the main stand was a tin shed with a leaking roof, and it rained steadily throughout. A mercurial scrum half by the name of Willie Johnson (he joined them mid-season from another club) tore us to shreds as we succumbed to Runcorn's first triumph (9-2) in about 20 years, or something like that.

On the plus side the wheels were still on the car after the match.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

47 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A really memorabe game hot on the heels of the previous round's victory over Wakefield, of course.

And that attendance figure was just a joke - there was barely a square foot available for anyone else to stand.

I think this was the game where Adrian Rushton dropped the ball over the line. All he had to do was put the ball down and he showboated and dropped it.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

For me it has to be March 3rd 1991, Hoghton Rd, St Helens (now a housing estate).

About 40 loyal Dewsbury fans were amongst the attendace of 330; they ran out of pies five minutes after the gates opened it seemed and the tea was tepid and weak; the main stand was a tin shed with a leaking roof, and it rained steadily throughout. A mercurial scrum half by the name of Willie Johnson (he joined them mid-season from another club) tore us to shreds as we succumbed to Runcorn's first triumph (9-2) in about 20 years, or something like that.

Always remember going to Huyton and there being little scallys outside the bar charging 5 pence to take the tops off your beer bottle with their teeth.?

Taking into consideration the considerable age difference from a few of you fine gentlemen I don’t have as many to choose from  but for me it would be the last game of the 2006 season when we sealed promotion and championship with a win . 

All the fans fans went on to the sacred turf at full time where the lads lifted the championship singing along to we are the champions. 

That team was also something special will some absolute class players our line up that day was  Dewsbury Rams: Preece; Powell, Bostock, Maun, Mack; Glynn, Finn; Watene, Chapman, Jowitt, Crouthers, Bretherton, M Walker. Subs (all used): Haigh, Rogers, Southwell, J Walker. 

having been a rams fan all my life this was certainly the game that summed up the reason why I love our amazing club. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, Blind side johnny said:

Brilliant! ?

Archived