Persistent rain.

mickhornet

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Given the quote from the Match Commissioner that Health and Safety comes first I expect the game to be replayed at some point.

Apparantly, the Commissioner also said he explored every avenue to get the game played, but the groundstaff weren't playing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rochdale afc wanted our game called off then fair enough, we are only lodgers but call it off Sunday morning. Hornets need to make a statement and an apology to both sets of supporters. A lot of Hornets fans who have followed the club for many years said they would never go again. I invited four top rugby league lads yesterday we sat there until four oclock, i felt totally embarrassed. All i want to know is whose to blame and who is in charge of communication. 

What did these fans expect the club to do - hold a gun to the groundsman's head ? 

It looked to me like the delay in calling the game off was because the club was doing it's level best to actually get the game on.

Even in today's political climate lodgers have rights. The football club had a contractual duty to do everything in their power to get our game on. I'm not sure they did yesterday.

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

Stronger Gails than on  Sunday forecast for tonight, how on earth are the Rochdale football Club groundstaff going to get the covers off and put up the goalposts?........I bet they manage it.

Todays wind Forecast not much difference to Sunday 

2019-03-12.png

The point is why didnt the ground staff try and erect the posts on Sunday morning then if unsuccessful call the game off before anyone travelled. Why no mention of these problems on twitter. Poorly handled situation. 

47 minutes ago, excolt said:

The point is why didnt the ground staff try and erect the posts on Sunday morning then if unsuccessful call the game off before anyone travelled. Why no mention of these problems on twitter. Poorly handled situation. 

It’s normally done after the game isn’t it? Something doesn’t seem right. 

In 1987 both Rochdale Hornets and Rochdale A.F.C. were in financial trouble. First to receive an offer for their ground, Hornets accepted Morrison's £2.6m offer for the Athletic Grounds and, following the sale of the land bought a half share in Rochdale A.F.C.'s Spotland Stadium, thus saving both clubs.

Lest the round ball exponents forget...

1 hour ago, eclecticsheep said:

In 1987 both Rochdale Hornets and Rochdale A.F.C. were in financial trouble. First to receive an offer for their ground, Hornets accepted Morrison's £2.6m offer for the Athletic Grounds and, following the sale of the land bought a half share in Rochdale A.F.C.'s Spotland Stadium, thus saving both clubs.

But for Morrison's needing to build a supermarket it's hard to see how both clubs could have kept going. Both were really struggling at the time.

I honestly have a great deal of sympathy with the predicament Hornets find themselves in regarding your arrangement with the football club. Having said that what happened last Sunday showed a total lack of involvement from the rugby club, and their contradictory statements, and lack of communication were a disgrace, and no blame for that can be laid at the door of the football club.

7 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

Also, look at the improvements made to the stadium since. At the time, both football and rugby league were played during the winter months. I don't remember any serious pitch problems as a result....both clubs worked together well, initially. Obviously financial and other problems developed but they don't alter the way things were in '87. 

The AFC supporters, in general, don't even want to remember....or maybe many don't even know the facts. 

Oh, and I used to love those meat pies.....in the old main stand terrace. 

I do feel the recent regime gave away the family silver a bit too easily for a 25 year sentence.  The Athletic Grounds and the 2.6 million at the time "allowing for residual" Hornets debt to be cleared, reinvigorated the pig sty that was Spotland.  In retrospect the Directors at the time of the move should have imported in some help to really stabilise and move the Hornets brand forward.  However history belongs to the victor and Hornets like Oldham are behind the eight ball and success is the now survival.

Good luck to York I think with a bit of luck and good governance you could do super league and fill that new stadium.  Onward Hornets and lets hope the silly season has now ended. 

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A replay was always going to be the outcome. Points need to be earned not given.

Don't think for one second that anyone thought otherwise. The objection by York was to ensure a proper investigation took place and that it couldnt just be shrugged off by the RFL and the Hornets.

Nobody seems to be mentioning the RFL's part in all this. OK, we all know it's a balls up, but why on earth are Hornets playing York at home, on the Sunday, when Dale are at home on the Saturday and Tuesday. Three games in four days...….it's a cock up waiting to occur. I know York City were at home last weekend but they didn't have a midweek game. Why not reverse the fixture in the first place?

Why can't those organizing fixtures use a bit of brain and take such things into account?

1 hour ago, owfener said:

Nobody seems to be mentioning the RFL's part in all this. OK, we all know it's a balls up, but why on earth are Hornets playing York at home, on the Sunday, when Dale are at home on the Saturday and Tuesday. Three games in four days...….it's a cock up waiting to occur. I know York City were at home last weekend but they didn't have a midweek game. Why not reverse the fixture in the first place?

Why can't those organizing fixtures use a bit of brain and take such things into account?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the RFL provisionally issue the fixture list to the clubs to check availability of grounds etc., before the list becomes official? If that is true, then Hornets should have flagged this up and had the fitxure re-arraanged. I would have thought the pitch would have been in excellent condition, considering what the football team put on it every week.?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, HaxbyKnight said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the RFL provisionally issue the fixture list to the clubs to check availability of grounds etc., before the list becomes official? If that is true, then Hornets should have flagged this up and had the fitxure re-arraanged. I would have thought the pitch would have been in excellent condition, considering what the football team put on it every week.?

Why do you hijack every thread your like a nosy neighbor always peering over the garden fence. Is there nowt too do in York? I understand your frustration at the club and the game being cancelled the other Sunday - but that caused far less chaos than York dropping out of the league half way through in 2002. Don't preach too much.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 12:36, Hornets Nest said:

Why do you hijack every thread your like a nosy neighbor always peering over the garden fence. Is there nowt too do in York? I understand your frustration at the club and the game being cancelled the other Sunday - but that caused far less chaos than York dropping out of the league half way through in 2002. Don't preach too much.

Hes the same which ever forum you go on.

Archived