Cameron Smith tees off

At the time I was upset with Storm and the people involved and thought serious punishment was deserved. 

Even then I thought playing that season for no points was more than twisting the knife though. The punishment just stopped short of kicking the club out. As it was it could have crumbled under the weight of punishments.

The point being made here is about consistency.

Storm had the book , bookshelf and dining table thrown at them within what seemed like hours.

The treatment of Sharks has been more measured and possibly (views please) more proportionate.

Cameron Smith is just comparing how Storm and Sharks have been treated and calling foul.

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD

Cameron Smith has urged the NRL to re-visit the whopping penalties handed down to the Melbourne Storm for rorting the salary cap after Cronulla escaped being stripped of their 2016 premiership for similar breaches.

Smith, the most powerful voice in rugby league, said the Storm were stripped of their two premierships, competition points and three minor premierships – along with a $1.7million fine – just two days after the breaches were revealed.

The NRL’s latest investigation into the Sharks took nine months. The Shire club, however, retained their historic 2016 premiership.

Smith and Melbourne have gone on to win two premierships since the horror 2010 season, but the penalties will never be forgotten down south. The Storm players took years to shed their ‘‘cheats’’ tag, with rival fans often waving banknotes in the stands during the years that followed.

‘The clear difference for me is that there is a fair bit of time put into gathering all the evidence, the emails, all that sort of stuff, and they haven’t made a decision after what was just 48 hours like ours,’’ Smith said at the NRL launch on Thursday at Bondi Icebergs.

‘‘They have put a bit of time and thought into the punishment handed down to Cronulla. It hasn’t happened in the space of two days.

The Cronulla Sharks: the club that doesn't know how to play by the rules
‘‘As far as looking at what happened at Cronulla and having the understanding of what I know happened at our club, it sounds quite similar, yet we were made to play an entire season without points and had premierships taken off us. It is almost like the same or similar crime with a completely different punishment. If you look over the course of time from 2010 to now there are a handful of clubs that have been over the salary cap by similar amounts and they haven’t been made to sit out a season or not play for points.

‘‘They have been deducted four points, they have been deducted two points. For me, the main difference I have seen in the new administration, and that is Todd [Greenberg] being involved, is that he has taken the correct amount of time to go through all the information gathered and come to the correct decision then, rather than seeing a club breach the salary cap and then wielding the axe.’’

The Storm were fined $1.7 million for rorting the salary cap by $3.7 million over five years.
Cronulla rorted the cap from 2013 to 2018 before outgoing CEO Barry Russell self-reported a $50,000 discrepancy. The NRL uncovered breaches totalling around $700,000 after investigating the Shire club.

It is almost like the same or similar crime with a completely different punishment.

Cameron Smith
While the amounts greatly varied, Smith said the breaches at both clubs were over a similar period, and supported Greenberg’s team casting their eye over what was a swift penalty under then-boss David Gallop.

‘‘If they could have a look back and go over what happened at the Melbourne Storm over those years, you may find there is a different outcome,’’ Smith said.

‘‘To be honest, I think everyone involved in the club in that period has moved on in a lot of ways.
‘‘We are always going to hold a lot of disappointment from what happened in that season, but
I think you have seen from what we have been able to achieve, that shows that we have put it behind us in a lot of ways.

The Storm kick off the season next Thursday night when they host the Brisbane Broncos in what could be the year that Smith becomes the first player to reach 400 NRL games.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sm....07-p512jl.html

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

13 minutes ago, Graham said:

World class player consistently. Would like him on my side in a pressure situation. Cool calm and collected... as they say

Alternatively, he refs every game he plays in may as well make up the cap rules and punishments as well :biggrin:

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

For folk who don’t like him fair enough.

Look to what he says and the logic behind it. 

Surely some people who dislike him intensely would have jumped at the chance to have him in their team over the years.

Graham I don't know enough about the salary cap even the one in Super League baffles me.

Going forward I think it should be simplified  you have x million that is it full stop there are no variants for time at club , for coming from union etc etc  or else confine it to history.

A bit rich from a guy who signed 2 contracts at the same time.

He's entitled to his opinion. I'll refrain to comment any further.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Hope Greenberg isn't planning a long term career in his present position as it's pretty obvious who will have the job in a couple of years time.  Pity he's as bland as a brick wall?

I think it’s typical Smith barrack room lawyer and mischief making , and he’s being disingenuous . The Sharks weren’t over the cap in 2016 whereas the storm were half a mil and a mil over when they won it

Salary Cap Cheating amongst other things like Peptides ( Which the players & Cronulla got off lighly on) and constant lieing and cheating where money was going. Cronulla have got off lightly under Greenberg. They dont deserve to keep the 2016 Premiership for me. I bet Gallop ( Who was a much better administrator) would not have been so leniant on both the Club and individuals. And rightly so.

The problem with the NRL is that there is no consistancy or real leadership since Gallop left. Greenberg with Beattie have created a situation which is unclear. Justin Pascoe and Wests are fined etc, yet the Cronulla Situation over the past 4 or 5 years seems to be not taking in the same light. Greenberg has made a big thing about player behaviour and rightly so. But what about systematic Drug and money cheating? This seems to be not taken so seriously regarding events at Cronulla.

Don't take my word for it, but I know from an extremely reliable source that in 2016, not only were the Sharks over the cap by at least a good $2 million (but hey, what's a million dollar these days?), but they also played all their games with needles up their ***** (not an easy feat mind you). How else would you explain their, let's be honest a minute, rather suspect winning streak, not to mention their premiership? And cherry on the top, all of this on the back of one-eyed refereeing (Looking at you, Mr. Cecchin! Your timely comeback ain't fooling us by the way)

And yet, by far the most damning thing, a true Machiavellian scheme, they had the guile to actually organize illegal third-party payments and still stay (officially) below the cap. Who are they kidding?

My request to the NRL: retroactively award them the spoon for the 2011-2018 period... And please add 2019 and 2020 for good measure. Or better yet, kick them out.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Archived