Goole Vikings are back HOME

7 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Took in the game yesterday and very impressed with the set up

Even accepting the facilities were already in place, there are few in the amateur game with a bar, tea bat, stand and covered terracing as well as a tannoy and all were in use

Plenty of enthusiasm and I estimated the attendance to be about 150. there was also a presence around the ground, posters and boarding suggesting the club were part of the set up, rather than a barely welcomed tenant

They seemed to have only played higher division teams so far and been close so hopefully first win should be soon. Interesting that the biggest cheer of the day was for the hardest tackle not the first try

As it is a subject elsewhere nice to see a programme although if this matters to a visitor, suggest they check as may be a one off

Both games to date have been I note low scoring

Certainly a place I will revisit and only 5 mins walk from the station is an attraction, although waiting for a friend on the station, I noticed the line to Castleford has only two trains a day and a inconvenient times

Programme refers to this being first match in the town since Broughton Rangers in the Challenge cup but I have been told by two people of Scarborough and Hull A teams games at the ground   

May well see them again at Queensbury next week as I see they are still playing at Halifax RU and not seen RL there  

Glad you enjoyed your visit. 

The 80 year reference is in regards to a side from Goole playing. You’re correct though, the VPG was used in the early 90’s between Scarborough and hull. 

I can confirm that a match day programme will be available for every home game this coming season.

We look forward to having you down at a game again soon, hopefully our match day experience will only improve.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Goolerugbyleague said:

Selby folded last year, Moorends are a winter side.

We’re currently the only summer team within a 15 mile radius, if not more. 

We bridge the gap between Hull and Cas! 

Don’t Selby still have juniors?

8 minutes ago, Goolerugbyleague said:

Sadly the full club has folded from top to bottom

That’s a real shame as they had quite a strong junior setup at one stage at the expense of the union club which was really struggling in the town

26 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That’s a real shame as they had quite a strong junior setup at one stage at the expense of the union club which was really struggling in the town

Very true. We have however made no secret of our intentions to set up a junior section as soon as possible! No juniors=limited future 

Goolerl,

as stated earlier congratulations on your efforts.

Just for your information,my own RU club played Goole a few weeks ago and I would estimate their attendance at around 150.However,like most Yorks 2 clubs they,quite rightly,charged an entrance of £3/person.Shirts,maintance,referees,kit etc all have to be paid for.I noticed you had free entry,so I wondered how you go about funding yourself?

By further coincidence,we were at Ripon on sat and they are the only Yorks 2 club who do not charge for admittance but even they take round an old fashioned collection box.Goole RU will be promoted this seaon and I have no doubt next seasons admittance will be at least £4.Finally,to the comment above re Selby RUFC,they are one of the strongest clubs in the county and are certainly not strugling for players or facilities.

29 minutes ago, cookey said:

Goolerl,

Just for your information,my own RU club played Goole a few weeks ago and I would estimate their attendance at around 150.However,like most Yorks 2 clubs they,quite rightly,charged an entrance of £3/person.Shirts,maintance,referees,kit etc all have to be paid for.I noticed you had free entry,so I wondered how you go about funding yourself?

By further coincidence,we were at Ripon on sat and they are the only Yorks 2 club who do not charge for admittance but even they take round an old fashioned collection box.Goole RU will be promoted this seaon and I have no doubt next seasons admittance will be at least £4.Finally,to the comment above re Selby RUFC,they are one of the strongest clubs in the county and are certainly not strugling for players or facilities.

The initial attendance was far more than 150, granted that Included a junior team from Beverley braves. The attendance at the full time whistle was round the 180 mark. With a main stand that holds 1,000, 300 can even look lost in it.

The free entry model is used to attract people to the ground, stick a £2-3 charge per person and a family may not come down and have a nosey. 

Financially, We have a corporate box, which was used on Saturday, match ball sponsors, snack bar proceeds, a portion of bar proceeds, raffle, bus stop cards and a donation bucket are all methods we used on Saturday for fundraising. If you have the facilities, it makes it much easier to achieve. 

Good luck to Goole RUFC, I hope they gain promotion, it’s good for the town! 

Hi,thanks,

my point really was that you shouldn't be afraid to charge an entrance fee,like Goole RU.I tire of RL supporters saying that £20 is too much to go to Magic,or I'd go to Wembley if it was cheaper etc.Surely a nominal entrance fee of £2 isn't unreasonable and would help with club finances/facilities?

25 minutes ago, cookey said:

Hi,thanks,

my point really was that you shouldn't be afraid to charge an entrance fee,like Goole RU.I tire of RL supporters saying that £20 is too much to go to Magic,or I'd go to Wembley if it was cheaper etc.Surely a nominal entrance fee of £2 isn't unreasonable and would help with club finances/facilities?

In future seasons we may charge admission fees.

But for now, get as many people through the turnstiles, engage the locals with rugby league and hopefully pick up a few supporters along the way. 

If they’re in the ground, they may buy a drink or some food! 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Goolerugbyleague said:

In future seasons we may charge admission fees.

But for now, get as many people through the turnstiles, engage the locals with rugby league and hopefully pick up a few supporters along the way. 

If they’re in the ground, they may buy a drink or some food! 

Cheers

Who owns the ground you play at?

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Goolerl,

Sorry, I was getting confused with Wetherby union team who were struggling at the expense of the league team a few years ago. I know some youngsters had to go to Selby because of that. That said I know Wetherby Bulldogs have been struggling too somewhat, certainly at open age. 

Well spotted on the Bolsover team

http://bolsoverbulls.co.uk/team.php

Looks like they have a girls' team and a couple of boys' teams. Training is out of Frederick Gent school (near Alfreton) where the North Derbyshire Chargers were based for a while. There's actually real potential in the area, just need to get past the first couple of years and get the buy-in of more parents. I would certainly urge them to look to Yorkshire for their fixtures. The girls will have no choice but the boys will learn a lot more from a longer season and against some more equally matched opponents. The Midlands is very inconsistent in nearly all respects.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Great effort by Goole on Saturday, I'm sure their first win is only a game or two in the near future.

I'd be into Matty Taylors (Goole RU) ribs to sign for the summer, he's a better League player than a union player.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Great effort by Goole on Saturday, I'm sure their first win is only a game or two in the near future.

I'd be into Matty Taylors (Goole RU) ribs to sign for the summer, he's a better League player than a union player.

Make yourself known next time your down mate. We’ll hopefully tidy a few things up and get the win this Saturday.

Your not the first to say that about matty Taylor. When their season ends, hopefully we’ll have a few down to give league a try 

1 hour ago, Goolerugbyleague said:

Make yourself known next time your down mate. We’ll hopefully tidy a few things up and get the win this Saturday.

Your not the first to say that about matty Taylor. When their season ends, hopefully we’ll have a few down to give league a try 

Matty came through our juniors, sad thing is he supports Leeds Rhinos.

1 hour ago, mightyship said:

Good point! Though isn’t over the border into South Yorkshire? I’m sticking with my East York’s brethren in Goole ?

Snaith, Goole & Thorne where all in the West Riding of Yorkshire till 1974.

Archived