Toulouse Olympique vs Wolfpack

RobertAM

I think this weekends Toulouse clash will be a tough contest...stats aside Les Olympique have given us a real challenge at every outing. 

I think we will prevail but I'm predicting a close one maybe by a try - converted or not...

Hope Sandy Shipley can livestream on facebook...if so we're all gonna owe her a beer or two when she and the team get back to Lamport...!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Make that 40 unanswered points DP.

I hope they recorded the half time pep talk of the French coach...bottle it and sell it!

6 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Never expected that at all kayakman.  I send my apologies for saying to you that I can't see twp being beaten this season.

Its Okay..probably a good thing...losing is part of winning, as long as you learn from the loss.

We will get them on the flipside...the Pack will retreat to the woods and lick their wounds, then come back bigger and stronger...poor Batley.

It has been 2 poor efforts on the trot and I hope it was just fatigue - that is fixable and hopefully the team will learn from this and come together. I fully expect we will see a different team when we play Batley next weekend.

Well - pity the poor York City Knights..their match against Rochdale Hornets called off due to "high winds" (WTH?) so their opportunity to move into first place (if a Fev win against Shef) derailed....

Toronto's Defence at the ruck was terrible.  Gadwin Springer with three very poor tackling attempts led to to three tries.  He is benched next game.  Lussick also looked terrible, I have a hard time believing he played in the NRL every time I watch him.

I love Stanislas Robin though.  He is exactly what I think a scrum-half should be and he ripped The Pack to shreds in the second half.  

Everyone talks about Jonathan Ford but I think Robin and Kheirallah are Olympique's two best players.  They can literally create plays out of nothing.  

you're right..it was an appalling shambles..I can accept us losing a game here n there but a team with this quality of squad shouldn't be blown out like we were in the 2nd 40m we looked like we were running in treacle.  Don't share your Lussick criticism though, he has been very good before yesterday...OK he can get aggressive and take penalties but rather that than go thru the motions..

Kheirallah is incredible..in fact the entire TOXIII are very good...we'd better figure out how to beat them as we face them May 18 and June 22. 

7 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

you're right..it was an appalling shambles..I can accept us losing a game here n there but a team with this quality of squad shouldn't be blown out like we were in the 2nd 40m we looked like we were running in treacle.  Don't share your Lussick criticism though, he has been very good before yesterday...OK he can get aggressive and take penalties but rather that than go thru the motions..

Kheirallah is incredible..in fact the entire TOXIII are very good...we'd better figure out how to beat them as we face them May 18 and June 22. 

I find Lussick very slow and he doesn't get a lot of punch on offense.  I find Sidlow and Sims are far better.  

Toulouse is one of the only teams in the championship that can legitimately challenge us.  They are fully professional and I would not be shocked if they are promoted over us at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I find Lussick very slow and he doesn't get a lot of punch on offense.  I find Sidlow and Sims are far better.  

Toulouse is one of the only teams in the championship that can legitimately challenge us.  They are fully professional and I would not be shocked if they are promoted over us at the end of the season.

we had their number last year and frankly they had a point to make against us and they did it most emphatically. Let's see how the other 2 games go..one on neutral ground and one at home..Liam should be back and he was their nemesis in 2 outings. if we don't win both then we are in trouble come season end.  If York maintains their pace and composure they too will be tough, I see them finishing 3rd or 4th.  But  early days yet and we will bounce back and end up on top. 

17 minutes ago, tandle said:

I stated on this forum that the 2019 season would be a lot harder than the 2018 for you. a lot of teams in the championship will have got your measure welcome to the real world, you are about to learn the facts of life. 

higher you climb harder it gets - that seems logical. we will be fine but thanks for caring.

20 hours ago, RobertAM said:

It has been 2 poor efforts on the trot and I hope it was just fatigue - that is fixable and hopefully the team will learn from this and come together. I fully expect we will see a different team when we play Batley next weekend.

I think it is fatigue and being on the road constantly wouldn't be easy. Form is a funny thing. A team can bounce back and look a very different side by the end of the season. It's too early for the knockers to be saying 'I told you so". A season is judged at its end, not a few games in. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I think it is fatigue and being on the road constantly wouldn't be easy. Form is a funny thing. A team can bounce back and look a very different side by the end of the season. It's too early for the knockers to be saying 'I told you so". A season is judged at its end, not a few games in. 

exactly..do not count out the Pack!

So it seems from multiple sources it was all Springer's fault...

Do wolves prey on their own weak and injured? Should we be worried about his continued existence as a member of the Wolfpack?

Now that the dust has mostly settled on Sundays effort......and while I'm trying to forget about the second half, with some difficulty mind you, I thought I'd share with this group here of mostly TWP supporters (Dog forever and tandle being exceptions), an observation......I LOVE observations.   While scrolling up the forums yesterday a "last post" on one of the other clubs forums (Featherstone Rivers) caught my eye and piqued my interest since the thread title was "Toronto thumped".  So I looked at all the Championship Clubs forums and to my surprise no less than four of them had threads pertaining to the TWP loss to Toulouse Olympique. Viz............

• Barrow (Pop. 56.7K) Raiders - "toronto stuffed" by "scrumhalf" with 3 replies.
  • Batley (Pop. 49.4K) Bulldogs - "Well done Toulouse" by ernieone with 8 replies several being from our own RobertAM, but that's OK 'cause he's a Batley boy "at heart".
  • Dewsbury (Pop. 62.9K) Rams - "Well done Toulouse" by EQUALIZER with zero replies.
  • Featherstone (Pop. 14.2K) Rovers - Toronto thumped" by The Phantom Horseman with 10 replies.

Now, I personally usually only view other Clubs Forums in the week leading up to TWP playing their team, just to get a "feel" for their opinions and viewpoints.  I'd never expect to see threads like these on teams forums about a game that they were not involved in.   And, no surprise, the general consensus is that they were all sooooooooo pleased about the game's result.   You know, you read all over the place in articles and news-clips about the wonderful togetherness of the "Rugby League Family" blah, blah, blah.  But it would seem to me that TWP are not yet part of this "Family".  And yes, I know that this may only be from the "vocal minority" but they would appear to me to be a sizeable minority (is that an oxymoron?). Notice too that the larger Towns/Cities in the Championship (Bradford/Halifax/Sheffield/York) did not have any similar thread on their forum.  I'm thinking they've got nothing better to do with their time in these small towns/villages than to gloat over any and every setback that befalls TWP.

The total population of the four towns at about 183K doesn't even constitute half a Markham and even Barrie is probably up there now with all its recent growth.   Rant finis.

Comments?

CH I too like to see what the others are talking about particularly the clubs that I have an affinity with like (as you note) Batley, York and Bradford. I am a big fan of the Kneets being as I lived in York for my early and teen years and I like they way they are going about business - great marketing and a real team/fan spirit. And I have a soft spot for Batley and Bradford, you can't beat that Yorkshire grit! I get the jealousy of our well funded team - we have come in like a whirlwind and get a lot of press and attention. But I think an enlightened majority know that we can be good for the sport if it means greater exposure for this fantastic game. Sure many of them can't wait for us to get promoted and see us get bashed about by the likes of CasTigers, St. Helens etc. but if we are successful against the big boys and I believe that will indeed happen I am sure the WP may just become their 2nd favorite team and I am OK with that. 

It is kind of odd since they're probably not big fans of Toulouse either. How would they react if one of their hated local rivals pulled such an upset on TWP? Gloating? Jealous?

Archived