Are Wigan in crisis?

Are Wigan in crisis?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are Wigan in crisis?

• It’s the end of Wigan as we know it and I’ll feel fine
    • There’s only a few rounds gone, we can do it via the playoffs, simply the best etc etc

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

No. They are only 2 wins off a play off place. But, if it will be interesting to see where they are after their next 6 games, which are:

Warrington (A)
Salford (A)
Catalans (H)
Wakefield (A)
Castleford (A)
St Helens (H)

That's an unenviable run at the best of time and contains a lot of away games. Wigan have a few problems for me. Leuluai looks past it to me and Sammut clearly isn't seen by Lam as an adequate replacement. O Loughlin, whilst still a quality player, is another year older and they can't rely on him to drag them back into games on his own. Bateman is clearly a huge loss.

The next problem is style. Lam's stated aim was to play a "flamboyant" style of rugby. But all that the players who have been there for years know is structure. That's the players who have come through the academy and players that they have brought in like Flower and Clubb.

That regimented style was boring (evidenced by Wigan's drop in average crowds from 17,000 is 2011 to 11,000 in 2018, despite on field success) but effective and no Super League side found a way to counter it consistently.

To change from one end of the spectrum to the other takes time. One off season isn't enough, and one year for Lam won't be enough. He also doesn't have the players to play that flamboyant style. Wane built the side in his own image, tough, uncompromising and driven towards winning over anything else.

Hardaker seems hampered in the side as he is used to playing in sides that have a different way of playing. I believe Lam can turn Wigan around, but it may takes a year or so. It would take smart recruitment towards players who are more capable of being flamboyant as opposed to those who thrive in regimented structure.

To me, Lam has a choice. He can go back to the style they knew under Wane and go back to those methods. If they stick with what they know, there's no reason they can't climb the table. Or, he can stick to his principles. The problem with this is the one-year deal. It is not sufficient to allow him to implement change, build a side in his image and recruit smartly. This may bear fruit in the future (after he's gone), but could lead to a disappointing year this year.

It's certainly a conundrum for Lam.

A long speech, but it counts to nothing if players drop the ball and slow witted forwards get regularly sin binned.  Wigan players are losing games off their own bat. 

I read that both Wigan wingers went of injured and someone else went off on a concussion bin.  If people want to analyse a game then they should do so in its entirety. 

Genuine question for Wigan fans:

What was the driving force behind Wane’s departure?   Lenagan and some fans seemed glad to see the back of him.   Although I didn’t like some of his tactics there was no question of him still producing the goods - it’s not like his time had passed and the club was slowly going backwards.   That’s how I saw it from the outside as a non-Wigan fan anyway.

Also, I’m almost 100% certain that Wogan won’t finish bottom this year, even if they are bottom four.   Hugely disappointing, but not panic stations yet.

The more I think about it the more I compare Shaun Wane to Peter Fox, both were stubborn and pig headed and intensley disliked by opposion and some of their own clubs fans yet they got the job done often with player's that others had dicarded and delighted in doing so, and if you talked to either of them away from the game they talked far more sence than many others more lauded in the game.  Somehow the only thing I couldn't see is Foxy getting involved in Rugby Union but back in his pomp the opportunity, or the money, wasn't available, if Lenaghan did get rid of Wane it's another indication of his inept judgement and decision making?

13 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

What was the driving force behind Wane’s departure?   Lenagan and some fans seemed glad to see the back of him.   Although I didn’t like some of his tactics there was no question of him still producing the goods - it’s not like his time had passed and the club was slowly going backwards.   That’s how I saw it from the outside as a non-Wigan fan anyway.

Also, I’m almost 100% certain that Wogan won’t finish bottom this year, even if they are bottom four.   Hugely disappointing, but not panic stations yet.

I know I'm like a broken record on this, but this is the entertainment business. Winning stuff is great, but it won't keep fans coming back week after week if they are not entertained. They will find other entertaining things to do. I think we have seen that at Wigan, they have been very formulaic, effective, but not exactly champagne stuff.

It is my worry at Warrington under Price.

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know I'm like a broken record on this, but this is the entertainment business. Winning stuff is great, but it won't keep fans coming back week after week if they are not entertained. They will find other entertaining things to do. I think we have seen that at Wigan, they have been very formulaic, effective, but not exactly champagne stuff.

It is my worry at Warrington under Price.

I think you can find a balance.   Wane was on the less entertaining end of the spectrum, no doubts about that - but his trophy haul is enviable.   I’d have to garner the opinions of Wigan fans to know whether they’d swap the trophies for a more entertaining style.

I think Leeds had it right.   Not nearly as flamboyant as say Warrington or Castleford in the LLS seasons but with quality players who could manage a game carefully then turn it on when required.

Regarding Price, I don’t think he’s a Wane or a Bennett - last season was a lesson in building a decent defensive structure and hoping that Tyrone Roberts and Kevin Brown could provide a bit of x-factor offensively.   As we know that didn’t work out unfortunately.   This year we’ve been a bit more open and there’s no doubting Austin’s quality and commitment so I’m hoping we see more offloads from the forwards and a bit of pizazz from Austin and Ratchford.   The attack is more structured than under Cullen or Smith but we’ve still seen some quality stuff - the ‘points for’ column of the table actually contradicts what many (me included) perceive the team’s style to be.   I guess we’ll know more by the summer when the teams are all more settled.

13 hours ago, Clogiron said:

The more I think about it the more I compare Shaun Wane to Peter Fox, both were stubborn and pig headed and intensley disliked by opposion and some of their own clubs fans yet they got the job done often with player's that others had dicarded and delighted in doing so, and if you talked to either of them away from the game they talked far more sence than many others more lauded in the game.  Somehow the only thing I couldn't see is Foxy getting involved in Rugby Union but back in his pomp the opportunity, or the money, wasn't available, if Lenaghan did get rid of Wane it's another indication of his inept judgement and decision making?

If the Wigan Chairman did want rid of Wane I bet he is regretting it already. The ground seemed like a Morgue on Friday as well. There must have been plenty of once a season fans at the Roosters game.

Leeds, until a few years ago, had an aura about them and whilst rival teams often seemed to raise their game there was that touch of inevitability to the result. Now rivals seem to arrive with the expectation that we're there to be had and relish getting one over on Leeds.

The pressure to be in a slightly weaker squad seems to weigh heavily on the players who often dont always play to their ability and it becomes a vicious circle.

Wigan could easily go the same way as form is directly linked to confidence.

If the poor form continues much more it will be very difficult to turn it around.

Just look at Manchester United and the aura they had, built up over 20 years of dominance. Ferguson left and the aura went with him.

You cannot buy confidence.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not sure if it’s too early for a ‘Wigan in crisis’ thread, but was it a mistake getting in a caretaker boss?

Or is it far far too soon to rush to judgement?

It’s seems as if Wane leaving was knee jerk reaction.  Wigan must have known Edwards wouldn’t be available for a year so, imo, it would have been just as easy to promote those already coaching the team.  Certainly they already are familiar with all the players.

Difficult to come into, what appeared to be, a well run organisation and pick up where the last coach left off.  The focus seems to be more on George Williams leaving that Wigan results when it should be the opposite.

This year is nothing like the dancing with death years. Even with a team with no sense of how they need to play the game we have been close in all of our games. It will come, and when it does we will be again one of the best teams. The squad is still very strong indeed. Hardaker for the Tomkins we saw at the week end is at worst like for like. Bullock is better than Sutton, and Sammutt will do something. We may well be in the bottom 7 but we will be very competitive within that group and able to beat anyone on our day. We got closer to the Roosters than pretty much any other team would have done. 

As for Wane leaving, the year before last saw us go on the longest streak without a win for over a century, and generally we played unwatchable rugby while we did so. Plus, Wane, being the person who he is, and against a backdrop of family tragedy, was finding it hard. Wigan is the most desirable gig, but it comes with a lot of pressure. The decision was made at the end of that year. With the pressure off, and backed by a typically strong squad put together by Lenaghan and Radlinski, we became champions again. 

Taking a step back from the first team, our youth development, our local initiatives, our women’s team, our support for reserve team rugby all show us in the best possible light. Unlike many clubs we invest in youth and the game, with the happy result that when players like Williams leave, we can bring on players like Woods, Smith and Shorrocks. Rather than seeing this as us being in crisis, I would have thought teams like FC and Warrington should be relishing the chance to put a new name on the trophy. Because Leeds and us won’t both be in transition for very long. 

On 3/9/2019 at 3:50 PM, TIWIT said:

Wigan, should have some sort of contingency plan stashed away should they find themselves in a similar situation come the last few rounds of the season. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

They had a contingency plan last time they nearly got relegated .It involved spending over the cap!

FWIW Losing Bateman and Tomkins was always going to be difficult,throw in losing a winning coach and it gets worse. But to cap all that with a coach who is only there for a year is lunacy.

Look at Man U when SAF announced he was leaving prior to changing his mind. They just collapsed.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, Cheshire Setter said:

I'm also sure 100% Wogan is dead and buried. Lol

Archived