George Williams to Canberra Raiders or New Zealand Warriors

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is it because you and your friends are such shockingly bad judges of talent?

No. Quite the opposite, and that from a Wigan fan. We've totally failed to get a competent half-back pairing for years, and the way Escare has been used is nothing short of tragic.

Wigan's kicking game has been poor for many years. Place kicking (stats anyone?) as well as tactical kicking. The odd 40/20 does not make up for all the other dross.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Who would have thought Josh Hodgson would become one of the top hookers in the NRL when he left ? 

Good point that . I think Canberra know what they’re doing . Williams is a good player they’ll make him even better and more consistent in that environment . And England can only benefit from that 

Just now, JohnM said:

No. Quite the opposite, and that from a Wigan fan. We've totally failed to get a competent half-back pairing for years, and the way Escare has been used is nothing short of tragic.

Wigan's kicking game has been poor for many years. Place kicking (stats anyone?) as well as tactical kicking. The odd 40/20 does not make up for all the other dross.

Wigan are missing hooker after McIlorum left and have been in need of a quality 7 for some time.  Generally Wigan and many teams play the 6 and 7 on opposite sides of the pitch and work with their  appropriate second row.  6s and 7s (no pun intended) do not really interplay with each other much these days. Against NZ, Tomkins played right and Williams the left.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, paulwalker71 said:

Am I the only person what just doesn't see why George Williams is apparently such a hot property?

13 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is it because you and your friends are such shockingly bad judges of talent?

I think that criticism should really apply to you.

49 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its Canberra who have spent the money. All you have sprayed out is a prejudice. They are cheap.

I hold a different opinion to you about George Williams and you describe that as “spraying out cheap prejudice”. Who is being prejudiced now? ?

Maybe the change of scenery will do Williams the world of good. He still has so much promise.

All depends on whether he is prepared to knuckle down and improve. If he's prepared for a tough ride and determined, he'll go fine. If he's not, like many in the past, he'll be back at Wigan for 2021 or thereabouts.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I hold a different opinion to you about George Williams and you describe that as “spraying out cheap prejudice”. Who is being prejudiced now? ?

Williams played for England under Bennett last season.  I am not prejudiced. 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would I swop Blake Austin for George Williams as seems Canberra will be doing? 

Well the only measure we can make is their present form in SL, for mine Austin is much better than Williams so far this season, Friday will be interesting seeing them in opposition.

To be fair Austin is playing in a team that's playing well and has a halfback partner who isn't on his last legs,a 9 that offers attacking options and a creative fullback,Williams has none of those.

24 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

To be fair Austin is playing in a team that's playing well and has a halfback partner who isn't on his last legs,a 9 that offers attacking options and a creative fullback,Williams has none of those.

When you look at Wire forwards there is a good blend of youth, experience and speed.  Wigan’s pack just can’t seem to lay a decent platform for the halves consistently enough plus Tautai is more than willing to give pens away.

Williams needs to give Canberra a real good go and everybody wins.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

When you look at Wire forwards there is a good blend of youth, experience and speed.  Wigan’s pack just can’t seem to lay a decent platform for the halves consistently enough plus Tautai is more than willing to give pens away.

Williams needs to give Canberra a real good go and everybody wins.

I don't see why he can't give the NRL a good crack,after all Tyrone Roberts has played nearly 140 NRL games !!

2 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

You just have a problem with anybody who doesn’t agree with you. 

I don't agree with you on this, and as I just pointed out (and you choose to ignore) Wayne Bennett regarded Williams as the best available nr6 last year and the 2nd best in the world cup.

That makes him a useful player.  

On 3/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, Abicus said:

Good for England?

Depends on how much game time he gets if he plays first team he’ll almost certainly improve. If he ends up stuck in reserve grade it will be a backward step. 

13 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I don't agree with you on this, and as I just pointed out (and you choose to ignore) Wayne Bennett regarded Williams as the best available nr6 last year and the 2nd best in the world cup.

Being the “best available” doesn’t make him a great player and was that second best in the England squad?

50 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Being the “best available” doesn’t make him a great player and was that second best in the England squad?

You are looking down your nose from a great height at all the players who did nor get into the squads

14 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed. But we are talking of the accumulation of marginal differences in ability, fitness, speed of thought and action, consistency etc.at the highest level.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Indeed. But we are talking of the accumulation of marginal differences in ability, fitness, speed of thought and action, consistency etc.at the highest level.

In all honesty I am not sure what to devine from that but equally i am not aiming to be critical. 

If Widdop is fit and England can find a fit nr7 then he will be England's nr6.  Williams is certainly good enough to be his stand in.  Whether or not he stays at Wigan or not, certainly Canberra also think that. 

The petulant moans about Williams are results that are not well served.  By all means let us develop some alternatives, especially if they fit into the team. Good luck Jake Connor I like him, his chippy narky attitude and all.  Good luck to anyone else who looks vaguely like an alternative.

But like I have said, anyone who thinks he is not worth it are a poor judge.  As witnessed by Canberras interest and Bennetts selections.

PS... If Bennett struggles to find a nr7 then Widdop might have to go there.  If so who ever fits in at 6 will not be the main playmaker. And for me then Williams fits the bill.

I think this could be a good move for Williams. I think he has a lot of talent, I was always excited when he was linked to Wire, I think he could have gone well for us a couple of years back.

I'm just not sure that Wigan is the right team for him at the moment to develop his game further and become genuine world class. I'm sure he will be very happy with his many winners medals, but I think the strength of the Wigan team has perhaps meant he hasn't needed to step up to make a big difference. Some of his decision making is poor, he often overplays, but I think there is an element of his team-mates not always being on the same page as him. In the NRL, the generally higher standard of player may mean he will have more on his wavelength, or he will have to change his game to get a start. 

I'm not sure how much the NRL will put up with players running across the field, dummying to five people, then stopping, turning around and doing the same again the other way. But then Widdopp has that in him, and so did Tyrone Roberts. 

Good luck to him, he is a good player, I'd be very happy if he could develop into a great player, like he promised to a few years back.

Archived