George Williams to Canberra Raiders or New Zealand Warriors

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Possibly not, no. They’d have to find a way to make the most of his undoubted running, passing and kicking skills but not let him run the show. 

7 and 9 run the show, generally.  

PS.  If the story has legs then Wigan will be asking for a fee.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DavidM said:

They’ve got Sam Williams . He’s a huge upgrade on him . I’m not surprised by this . He looks a bit stale but imo there’s plenty there to work with . He’s got some xfactor about him and they’ll work with him there and he’ll be pushed to fulfil his potential .Good move for him and good move for Canberra .

Canberra.have had a strong forward pack and strike out wide. Plus a very capable but not world class full back. What Canberra have been missing in the last few years to be a top 4 side is quality halves.

It's amazing how a team coached by one of the best half backs of his generation are so weak in this area.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I can't work Williams out. His short kicking game is as good as anyone in Super League. He showed some really creative passing against the Kiwis in the last test series and his try assist stats are always good. His running game is evasive and he is pretty strong on defense. 

But... the sum of the parts don't add up. Each part of his game stands up well and yet I don't think he is the player he should be and I'm not quite sure why.

I think that is a great description of him. Maybe a change of environment will be good for him. Take him out of his comfort zone.

9 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Am I the only person what just doesn't see why George Williams is apparently such a hot property?

I'm with you on that. Canberra and NZW most be really hard up in the halves.

9 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I thought he was excellent against the Roosters in the WCC too. 

If you were a Wigan fan, you’d have to be miffed with Lenghan’s approach.

What is Lenegans approach ?

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

Sell as many players as possible.

Didn't  Wigan turn down 400k when someone last came looking for Williams? Or was it Bateman.

Your logic seemed skewed, or us it just another tired excuse for someone to sneer at Lenegan?

Either way, it's the players who go... they claim the riches of  sun sand and and the Aussie dollar.

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Must be superb news if you’re a Wigan fan. He’s been average for a long time now and he’s never really kicked on from his initial promise. 

I’d be crowdfunding for his flight to Australia if I were a Wiganer. He’ll be on a decent wedge at Wigan and they’re crying out for a proper half to lead them around the park. 

For once, Oliver, I have to agree with you.

5 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Good for England?

Time will tell I guess.

I am not one of those that subscribe to the theory that playing in Australia will automatically make a player better... most of the English lads who have done well were already top quality players.  But the NRL is a better standard competition than Super League and so it will expose Williams to more weekly intensity which will be a good thing.

My primary worry is Ricky Stuart. I am not convinced that as a coach he is great at developing players, some of his Canberra players have had the same weaknesses in their game for years.  Despite Stuart being a great half back this is particularly true for the Canberra halves.

I would be much happier if Williams was going to be coached by the likes of Wayne Bennett, Trent Robinson or Craig Bellamy.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To be fair to Williams he's been pretty valuable to Wigan over the last few years, even if he's not been playing particularly well. When we've been winning games he's often been the one creating the tries. What's not really debatable is the fact that he's really failed to reach the level many people expected of him.

The NRL will be make or break for him I expect. He still has the potential to be the best British halfback of his generation but time is running out.

I hope Wigan actually try to replace him with a top player and don't continue to do things on the cheap. I thought we should have been investing in a top halfback this year rather than signing Hardaker. Next year it's essential we bring in a quality halfback with good all round skills but importantly a good running game. That should give us the ideal partner for Sammut (who will still be under contract) or preferably Harry Smith, if he continues to progress.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, Southerner said:

He’s far too inconsistent to make it in the NRL. His top game is good enough but it’s so rare.

Are some of his attributes strong enough - Pace, power, tackling, handling, decision making etc.....

Who would have thought Josh Hodgson would become one of the top hookers in the NRL when he left ? 

The movement of players from the British game to the NRL has hasn't reached any kind of worrying level.  This year we will see eight players in the NRL who moved from Super League while another two (George Burgess and Gareth Widdop) haven't played a senior club game in the UK.  Players like Savelio and Greenwood are back in the UK while still in their prime.

One of the things we speak about when attracting young players to our game is the possibility of playing in a premier and glamorous competition on the other side of the world rather than be tempted by another code.  When this happens, we shouldn't be negative about it.

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The movement of players from the British game to the NRL has hasn't reached any kind of worrying level.  This year we will see eight players in the NRL who moved from Super League while another two (George Burgess and Gareth Widdop) haven't played a senior club game in the UK.  Players like Savelio and Greenwood are back in the UK while still in their prime.

One of the things we speak about when attracting young players to our game is the possibility of playing in a premier and glamorous competition on the other side of the world rather than be tempted by another code.  When this happens, we shouldn't be negative about it.

Yup. And with the marquee player rule in place, it at least means that we are able to replace the likes of Williams with quality players if we so choose.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:38 AM, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Looks like the unofficial world club challenge trial matches arranged between Wigan, Hull,  Souths and St George paid off.... for Wigan players agents.

Looks like the short term pain of IFL not making the money he thought he would get from this tour is being followed by the long term pain of losing Wigan's best players to the lure of the NRL

It's all a bit odd because we keep hearing about this production line of competitive players being created by Australia. 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, Copa said:

This is great for Canberra. Many Australia players don’t want to come here. They prefer the bright lights of the big cities. Their families and networks are also in the big cities.

Canberra offers a great lifestyle with hardly any traffic, great weather, lots of nature, brilliant restaurants etc and a thriving rugby league culture.

It's a shame for English players there is no team in Tasmania. At least for the Aussies they have London.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, paulwalker71 said:

Am I the only person what just doesn't see why George Williams is apparently such a hot property?

Is it because you and your friends are such shockingly bad judges of talent?

Archived