Pitch inspection

yck2017

They must have known this morning if the pitch was unplayable, and there would be strong winds ( no other game has been called off due to the wind so I suspect that is a red herring )  It is a disgraceful way to treat away supporters and the RFL should look into this debacle, but I  doubt they will. The best way we can deal with this is to absolutely hammer them we we do meet. Disgraceful  tinpot club who should have been relegated last year. Rant over.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have more sympathy for the Hornets if there was more communication. Other than an official coming round just after 2pm saying it looked like the match would be delayed till 3.30pm there was nothing from the club, all communication was coming from the Knights twitter and press.

2 out of 4 home games cancelled. Time for matches to be forfeit like in the amateur leagues.

I walk 13 miles a day in worse winds than this as part of my job. 

The turnstiles were not opened at all, they obviously didn't want us to see the (lack of) effort going into getting the posts up. In my opinion Rochdale should be penalised by the Rugby League. A points deduction at least. They could have called the game off before the fans left York. No consideration for the supporters at all. 

6 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

The turnstiles were not opened at all, they obviously didn't want us to see the (lack of) effort going into getting the posts up. In my opinion Rochdale should be penalised by the Rugby League. A points deduction at least. They could have called the game off before the fans left York. No consideration for the supporters at all. 

agree - they should forfeit and call it a York win. 

I got to the ground around 2-40 and I was puzzled to see loads of people milling around outside the ground. Just taking one look through the railings told me the game was never going to be played.

The pitch was still covered over and the goalposts weren't erected. Later on I discovered that the Hornets staff and supporters volounteed to remove the covers and put up the posts but the football club staff wouldn't do it themselves or allow anybody else to do the job on the old chestnut of " Health & Safety ".

To me it's obvious that the Football Club didn't want the ground played on in view of their upcoming home game on Tuesday evening. In the light of this intransigence I struggle to see what Hornets could have done to force their hand.

It would have suited us to play today for several reasons. First and foremost it was very windy and that would have been a great leveller. There would have been no fancy rugby played and the team the managed the conditions best and wanted to be out there the most would have probably come out on top.

On another point the gate today would have been substantial, how many will be at the replayed fixture which will probably be at night ?

To those complaining about a wasted journey over from York, I flew back from Southern Spain on Friday for this game !

I had to smile at the guys queuing up to get their £4.00 parking fee back after the game. You can take the man out of Yorkshire etc. Where do I go to get the cost of my flight back ?

If what you say is correct, then the game should have been called off before the York supporters set off. The match was called off because they could not erect the posts, not because the pitch was unplayable. If the football club, have such a hold on you, you should do a Toronto and play your first few games away. Only been 2 Championship games postponed this season, both at Rochdale. Says it all.

3 minutes ago, White Knight said:

Thanks for your update and honesty Tyrone. Fans of both clubs shafted!

Definitely. Conditions have been bad today but I've seen games played in worse conditions. The only good thing is given the weather I don't think the game would have been much of a spectacle to be honest and we would have been frozen to death in the main stand.

2 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

If what you say is correct, then the game should have been called off before the York supporters set off. The match was called off because they could not erect the posts, not because the pitch was unplayable. If the football club, have such a hold on you, you should do a Toronto and play your first few games away. Only been 2 Championship games postponed this season, both at Rochdale. Says it all.

As I understand it strenuous efforts were being made to get the game on right up to 3.00 pm. Discussions were taking place in an attempt to get the groundstaff to do their job but to no avail. It wasn't just the posts, the pitch was completely covered.

2 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Glad I picked this match to miss so I could go to sunny Spain.

Grr !

As the blizzard was raging outside my window  this morning at about 10.30  I was thinking " this time last week we were having churros and cafe con leche in sunlight so strong we had move under a toldo. Tee shirt and shorts weather out in Spain.

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As I understand it strenuous efforts were being made to get the game on right up to 3.00 pm. Discussions were taking place in an attempt to get the groundstaff to do their job but to no avail. It wasn't just the posts, the pitch was completely covered.

Imagine groundstaff in Texas refusing to put the posts up for a NFL game, it would have looked like the Battle of Mogadishu in Blackhawk Down. ######s. 

For what good it will do i have written to the RFL at enquiries@rfl.co.uk asking for them to investigate and learn from their mistakes. Communication in a social media world is easy but the official statement didnt come from Rochdale until 15:22 for a 15:00 kick off. If the game was never going to go ahead which is more than likely the case then fine but tell people Saturday night /Sunday before 12pm at least before the coaches set off! 

I can't see the RFL forfeiting the match, I think a precedent was set when West Wales' home match against Newcastle in the first round of 2018 was merely rearranged due to West Wales failing to have a doctor at the ground - and that was a 700+ mile round trip for Thunder players and fans, now that really was incompetence!

Instead, assuming this match is rearranged, I'd urge Rochdale Hornets to do a deal on admission prices (eg £10 and £5 instead of £18 and £12). No one is perfect and mistakes are made, in this case even taking weather and who's fault it is out of the equation the communication was a shambles. It's how your respond to it that's important. A token apology statement doesn't mean much, an actual goodwill gesture at the rearranged match would be better. 

3 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

I can't see the RFL forfeiting the match, I think a precedent was set when West Wales' home match against Newcastle in the first round of 2018 was merely rearranged due to West Wales failing to have a doctor at the ground - and that was a 700+ mile round trip for Thunder players and fans, now that really was incompetence!

Instead, assuming this match is rearranged, I'd urge Rochdale Hornets to do a deal on admission prices (eg £10 and £5 instead of £18 and £12). No one is perfect and mistakes are made, in this case even taking weather and who's fault it is out of the equation the communication was a shambles. It's how your respond to it that's important. A token apology statement doesn't mean much, an actual goodwill gesture at the rearranged match would be better. 

Totally agree, i think its important that both the RFL and Rochdale learn from this. There needs to be guidance from the RFL with clear timings. We didnt know if the game was going ahead for sure until we were told at 14:50 and the rumoured 15:30 and 16:00 kick off times were unrealistic. 

Archived