Tired and bored

15 years for me.

I don’t think it’s changed too much.

I’ve been chatting with you guys for 15 years and I’ve only met one of the UK members face to face. When I was holidaying in Wales I recognised him in the stadium from a forum photograph and said “hello”. He knew me from this forum and we had a chat. He was well drunk. ?

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

And even today  I was mentioned on the Black and whites RL fans forum by a regular there who clearly frequents here and whom made personal remarks time and again without being moderated. They failed to mention how I praised the team after the performance on Friday, failed to mention that despite my dislike for the way the coach goes about his business and his failures, that I make the 3+ hour trip up as often as I can (and got hassle for only coming up xx times a year!) and have done so no matter how we are playing and who is in charge.

I just love the “I go to more games than you therefore I am superior to you” types.

rldfsignature.jpg

Ok, I'll be the one who says it.

This is one of the most negative threads I have read here, and guess what, it is even negative about other posters! A touch of hypocrisy is on show here I'm afraid.

It's coming across like a few pensioners in the pub moaning about how things were better in their day.

We need to make sure we are not confusing unnecessary negativity with challenging conversation. Twitter is a great example of the former, here people put well constructed arguments together to support their viewpoints in the main. Some people just then get stripey and ignore all relevant points and dismiss it as negative- see the viewers thread dkw started.

Sometimes a break from here is good if it is getting you down, but this is a good place to discuss and debate RL issues, if you want happy stories about RL, follow the official site. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It's coming across like a few pensioners in the pub moaning about how things were better in their day

Oi! I've not been in a pub for ages.... ? §

In my opinion...the whole site is very well moderated (sometimes even self-moderated) .. and by volunteers who don't have to do this thankless task. 

Much of the discussion on the main page is pure speculation and fantasy, never likely to become concrete in my view - US expansion for example - and brings out the worst in many posters. Vigorous language etc is the hallmark of many Internet forums and TRL is no different. 

The wide angle range of posters tends to be reflected in the wide range of opinions in posts, leading to more conflicts. 

Still have issues over the political and religious element of AOB where personal attacks and responses that don't comply with the forum norm have in my view discouraged dissenting voices and in some cases resulted in people giving up on the whole TRL thing. 

Nevertheless, even AOB is better than the BBC News, Daily Mail and the Guardian comment sections combined. 

§= I much prefer looking forwards rather than backwards. 

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Oi! I've not been in a pub for ages.... ? §

In my opinion...the whole site is very well moderated (sometimes even self-moderated) .. and by volunteers who don't have to do this thankless task. 

Much of the discussion on the main page is pure speculation and fantasy, never likely to become concrete in my view - US expansion for example - and brings out the worst in many posters. Vigorous language etc is the hallmark of many Internet forums and TRL is no different. 

The wide angle range of posters tends to be reflected in the wide range of opinions in posts, leading to more conflicts. 

Still have issues over the political and religious element of AOB where personal attacks and responses that don't comply with the forum norm have in my view discouraged dissenting voices and in some cases resulted in people giving up on the whole TRL thing. 

Nevertheless, even AOB is better than the BBC News, Daily Mail and the Guardian comment sections combined. 

§= I much prefer looking forwards rather than backwards. 

I agree about the moderation here, I have only had one issue, where one of my posts was deleted but I was not notified or warned, but the site owner publicly criticised in a weird way, but that is owner's prerogative I suppose. 

I think the site is excellent, I don't get involved in a lot of the political or religious threads, but I enjoy reading them, and learn a lot, whether I agree or disagree. 

There does tend to be too much categorization on here (I'll use that word rather than name-calling), and I do have some sympathy with the OP who had a weird exchange this week where he was branded a Little Englander for the crime of looking forward to the GB tour IIRC. But there is the reporting mechanism and  the ignore button to improve your personal experience. 

Completely agree with your penultimate line, when you look at almost any other forum, or form of social media, or comments section, this is a great site, and tbh, this is the only place I will engage in debate now.

Lots of negativity.......lots of agenda pushing........lots of derailing threads.........but that is what forums are.........we don't have to agree and this place is so well policed i doubt anyone can get away with anymore than sarcastically disagreeing with someone else.

You tried having a polite discussion about our game on facebook or twitter?

Just post what you want to and ignore the plonkers is my advice

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

I  don’t think it’s too bad. Certainly the derailing if posts is a frustration.

I think the “glass half full” attitude probably reflects where the game is to some extend. Lost of positives overall, not least that it’s a great spectacle, but there are lots of unresolved issues particularly about the future and concerns which are hard to get away from.

No different to society really . At uni , work anywhere . Get a tiny few who are sometimes  rude , in your face , self righteous etc and I always think well that says more about them than anything else . Ignore them it’s pointless getting into debate . I don’t like personal insults or aggression it’s not me . A few who have all the answers definitely to every issue and should be on display in a museum with ropes round for folk to visit - they’re amazing . It’s ok to just have an opinion , waffle on giving an impression of knowledge ( expert here ) or say I DONT KNOW ! . 

By and large though I find the vast vast majority here good folk who are on the same wavelength . Have a laugh ( number 1 ) , banter , debate , a knowledge of the game ... and most importantly , whether moaning  , criticising , venting frustration or lauding and praising or whatever LOVE THE GAME . People can express any opinion they want without being shut down . It’ll be a sad day if no one cares enough to bother . I love it here personally it’s great crack and good folk to crack with 

14 hours ago, yanto said:

I have been a member of this site for over 10/15 years (I reckon) but  to be honest I find it now so negetive to all aspects of the game I wonder why I bother anymore.

We have the same  group of people who know whats wrong with the game and put forward all their stats  numbers and figures and they are never wrong.THEY have all the answers.

We have the same  group of  people who just do not want to listen to any other opinions and if you dont agree with them you are bullied of the thread.

This site has become "home to  a few" who think they know best and if you disagree with their opinion then  you are hounded off the topic.

Discussion and opinions are no longer relevent,the crack is no longer fun,its all to serious and controlled by a minority  who no matter what YOU think ...THEY  are always right.

A lot of good characters no longer post, a lot fun characters who had great knowledge of the game no longer post and I wonder why that is ?

Guess the new young breed have taken over  ?

Apologies if I exacerbated your annoyance on the GB&I issue.. honestly none was meant personally I just didnt seem to be able to get across I didnt care which they plumped for (GB or GB&I) but just to be consistent and get it right.. Sorry if it came across as an attack etc. (i thought the little Englander comment was wrong and unfair)

I've been on the forum since about 2003 and have had peoples anger/annoyance/opinions at/of me taken off the board before and actually used in a review of a book that I wrote and posted on Amazon even though it had nothing to do with the book (basically saying you shouldnt trust someone who calls someone from Samoa "Somoans"... a type on an RL Forum as at no point do i even mention the country or its inhabitants in the book!).. which made me take a year or so off the board. Like the book, its style, its content or dont but just slagging the person off is not really on.. (I also had one review on it that I had removed saying "RP London is a leftist xyz..." which is bizarre if you knew me, and to refer to a forum moniker when reviewing a book is odd... )

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

That's probably the best advice you can give. I sometimes get fed up or take a response too much to heart and I find a break works best.

Sometimes this forum can make you grumpy. When I find that carries over into 'real' life, that's when I take a bit of a break, even for a day or two.

Now, my day to day approach is not to get involved in certain threads. There are certain ones that can be predicted who will say what etc. just by the title, they aren't generally worth bothering with for me. 

Agreed. I also think it's a useful to be able to recognise when things are beginning to go round in circles so you can detach yourself. A classic example of this is when debates about Toronto start up. I was on the point of ignoring them as they always tended to follow the same trajectory. However I do enjoy debating the various issues but after a while you just find yourself reading or saying exactly the same things.

I think this is a great place to chat about all things League.

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sometimes this forum can make you grumpy. When I find that carries over into 'real' life, that's when I take a bit of a break, even for a day or two.

Now, my day to day approach is not to get involved in certain threads. There are certain ones that can be predicted who will say what etc. just by the title, they aren't generally worth bothering with for me. 

sometimes  I like to start out grumpy and build on it. ?

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed...   I’ve noticed a marked increase in people randomly pulling legs off spiders since the Wigan points appeal win ?

Archived