Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RayCee

SL Attendances So Far In 2019

Recommended Posts

Early days I know but how have attendances been so far after 32 matches? Ranking is based on increase/decrease. 

  Club Average % Games C'ship
1 Salford 3,895 37.8% 3  
2 Warrington 10,948 11.8% 3  
3 Hull KR 8,792 11.7% 3  
4 St Helens 12,412 10.5% 3  
5 Huddersfield 7,217 8.8% 3  
6 Leeds 13,418 8.6% 1  
7 Wakefield 5,335 6.5% 3  
8 Castleford 8,132 4.9% 2  
9 Catalans 8,463 4.2% 3  
10 Hull FC 11,726 -0.7% 2  
11 Wigan 10,772 -6.6% 3  
12 London 2,262 -51.1% 3 148.8%
  Total 8,105 -2.9% 32  

The averages gradually fall as the season progresses so being down 2.9% already looks bad. However considering Leeds have only played once at home and London entering has to be taken into account. London is down 51% on Widnes' average but compared to last year (Championship), the Broncos are up nearly 150%! Salford have had a huge gain, so movement in the right direction. 

What is disappointing but entirely predictable is Wigan's continued slide. Since 2011 when the average was over 16,000, it's been mainly downward. it's still has a higher than the average attendance but when will the slide be arrested? Other than that a fairly encouraging start. 


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hull FC's form turnaround should start to see the crowds come back. To have gone through over 10+ consecutive losses will impact anyone's crowds, so to be only 0.7% down is encouraging.

How much can Headingley hold at the moment? And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

Wigan is a worrying one, to be winning competitions and still losing crowds is concerning.


signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

 And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

Wigan is a worrying one, to be winning competitions and still losing crowds is concerning.

Talking to a chap sat next to me in the south stand. He'd been allocated a temporary seat in there until he moves across the ground in early May 

Wigan is worrying. It's well known that United going back into the Prem will hit Headingly crowds but Wigan football not doing at all well at the moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Hull FC's form turnaround should start to see the crowds come back. To have gone through over 10+ consecutive losses will impact anyone's crowds, so to be only 0.7% down is encouraging.

How much can Headingley hold at the moment? And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

Wigan is a worrying one, to be winning competitions and still losing crowds is concerning.

With Hull you also have to consider that the biggest crowd by a distance is the derby. Until that gets played our average is likely to be a little lower than last years season long average.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London really is an anomaly because they are almost selling out their seating and the rest are forking out up to £23 to stand behind perimeter fencing. Beyond the 2k-ish seats it’s basically a park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

London really is an anomaly because they are almost selling out their seating and the rest are forking out up to £23 to stand behind perimeter fencing. Beyond the 2k-ish seats it’s basically a park. 

Who needs to sit? Standing outside the bar is the best spot at ET anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Who needs to sit? Standing outside the bar is the best spot at ET anyway

If you’re not standing two or three deep it’s passable. £23 for a park is pretty steep though. 

View from the new stand is quite good. Quite high up at the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

Talking to a chap sat next to me in the south stand. He'd been allocated a temporary seat in there until he moves across the ground in early May 

Wigan is worrying. It's well known that United going back into the Prem will hit Headingly crowds but Wigan football not doing at all well at the moment 

Wigan Athletic are currently 20th in the Championship.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are pretty poor attendances for top flight sport.  The decline of Wigan is just highlighting how poor the sport is doing in general.  Salford’s improvement shows they have a long way to go but also what some on field success could achieve given time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If you’re not standing two or three deep it’s passable. £23 for a park is pretty steep though. 

View from the new stand is quite good. Quite high up at the back.

Should have bought a season ticket. Cheap as chips.

  • Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Has the demise of Bradford affected SL crowds to a large extent?

Yes. However, if and when the Bulls get back into SL, they may never return to their previous attendance figures. It's easier to lose fans than attract them back again. 


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nadera78 said:

Should have bought a season ticket. Cheap as chips.

Oh, I got one. Never know when there’ll be Super League within the M25 again so didn’t want to miss the chance ? 

But if I want to bring a mate then it’s £23 to watch top flight rugby in what, in football terms, are borderline Vanarama South/Bostik League facilities...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly never thought I’d see the day when Warrington’s average attendance overtook Wigan’s.

Maybe a revival later in the season will boost things a little.   I wonder if Edwards’ hesitancy could affect season ticket sales for 2020?   If he wants the Wigan fans’ respect I think he’ll have to make a decision soon so Lenagan can find a replacement and give the fans some hope (assuming Lam isn’t being considered for the job long-term of course - does he have a deal lined up elsewhere for next season?).

Edited by Cheshire Setter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Yes. However, if and when the Bulls get back into SL, they may never return to their previous attendance figures. It's easier to lose fans than attract them back again. 

You could be right. It depends who's in charge of the club. Prior to the Bulls brand, Bradford's attendances seem to be about average most seasons. That suggests their core support base is better than most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is no real point comparing London to Widnes.

Most of the attendances are up but the total average is down. London's arrival is a major factor in the drop so it is needed to clarify the situation. For that reason there was a point to it.

There is also a comparison to last year in the Championship which didn't need to be there, but shows how far London attendances have gone up. 

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Most of the attendances are up but the total average is down. London's arrival is a major factor in the drop so it is needed to clarify the situation. For that reason there was a point to it.

There is also a comparison to last year in the Championship which didn't need to be there, but shows how far London attendances have gone up. 

its a problem we go through every year trying to compare averages in a P+R world. Next year Toronto could replace london, every other side falls by 500 and we end up seeing attendances rise.

We probably need to strip out these outliers because the only really valid comparison year on year is a club against itself. Looking over 5-10 years or so you can probably average out the ups and downs caused by the change in clubs but im not sure we learn an awful lot comparing this year to last simply because one club that wasnt there last year has half the crowds of the club it replaces.

The only real argument it serves is against P+R as this drop in attendances is a feature of that structure, not a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

Those are pretty poor attendances for top flight sport.  The decline of Wigan is just highlighting how poor the sport is doing in general.  Salford’s improvement shows they have a long way to go but also what some on field success could achieve given time. 

Congratulations Salford;  what Salford are doing on the pitch is interesting, they are trying new things, being entertaining. As they polish their skills and techniques they will be formidable. People will gravitate to the exceptional, the talented, the spectacular. Sport is a part of the entertainment business and people love to be entertained. Looking forward to seeing how Salford prosper this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RayCee said:

What is disappointing but entirely predictable is Wigan's continued slide.

What are the reasons for this? They have a great track record as serial winners and they have a big modern stadium. Why have they been on a "continued slide" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

If you’re not standing two or three deep it’s passable. £23 for a park is pretty steep though. 

View from the new stand is quite good. Quite high up at the back.

I normally pay to see the entertainment and I'd sooner stand.

  • Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

What are the reasons for this? They have a great track record as serial winners and they have a big modern stadium. Why have they been on a "continued slide" ?

Is watching an unsuccessful football (soccer) team more entertaining? I'm not sure how Wigan Athletic attendances are going. 

Edited by RayCee

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Is watching an unsuccessful football (soccer) team more entertaining? I'm not sure how Wigan Athletic attendances are going. 

According to my son , a WA ST holder after seeing the DW on Thursday , he said " Lattics are getting more than that "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Yes. However, if and when the Bulls get back into SL, they may never return to their previous attendance figures. It's easier to lose fans than attract them back again. 

So what's the comparison between L1 and Championship regarding attendance for the Bulls? If its not increasing you probably have your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be informative to see the average, average attendance of the 12 highest clubs in this table each year they were in SL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League#All_Time_Super_League_table

 

There's not much to be gained by including bit part players like Widnes, KR, or London in the average attendance if you're looking at the general direction of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...