SL Attendances So Far In 2019

Early days I know but how have attendances been so far after 32 matches? Ranking is based on increase/decrease. 

Club Average % Games C'ship
1 Salford 3,895 37.8% 3  
2 Warrington 10,948 11.8% 3  
3 Hull KR 8,792 11.7% 3  
4 St Helens 12,412 10.5% 3  
5 Huddersfield 7,217 8.8% 3  
6 Leeds 13,418 8.6% 1  
7 Wakefield 5,335 6.5% 3  
8 Castleford 8,132 4.9% 2  
9 Catalans 8,463 4.2% 3  
10 Hull FC 11,726 -0.7% 2  
11 Wigan 10,772 -6.6% 3  
12 London 2,262 -51.1% 3 148.8%
  Total 8,105 -2.9% 32  

The averages gradually fall as the season progresses so being down 2.9% already looks bad. However considering Leeds have only played once at home and London entering has to be taken into account. London is down 51% on Widnes' average but compared to last year (Championship), the Broncos are up nearly 150%! Salford have had a huge gain, so movement in the right direction. 

What is disappointing but entirely predictable is Wigan's continued slide. Since 2011 when the average was over 16,000, it's been mainly downward. it's still has a higher than the average attendance but when will the slide be arrested? Other than that a fairly encouraging start. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hull FC's form turnaround should start to see the crowds come back. To have gone through over 10+ consecutive losses will impact anyone's crowds, so to be only 0.7% down is encouraging.

How much can Headingley hold at the moment? And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

Wigan is a worrying one, to be winning competitions and still losing crowds is concerning.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

Wigan is a worrying one, to be winning competitions and still losing crowds is concerning.

Talking to a chap sat next to me in the south stand. He'd been allocated a temporary seat in there until he moves across the ground in early May 

Wigan is worrying. It's well known that United going back into the Prem will hit Headingly crowds but Wigan football not doing at all well at the moment 

11 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Hull FC's form turnaround should start to see the crowds come back. To have gone through over 10+ consecutive losses will impact anyone's crowds, so to be only 0.7% down is encouraging.

How much can Headingley hold at the moment? And when will the next stage of the grandstand be opened? Any growth in capacity there could potentially wipe out the gap that came from London replacing Widnes.

With Hull you also have to consider that the biggest crowd by a distance is the derby. Until that gets played our average is likely to be a little lower than last years season long average.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

London really is an anomaly because they are almost selling out their seating and the rest are forking out up to £23 to stand behind perimeter fencing. Beyond the 2k-ish seats it’s basically a park. 

Who needs to sit? Standing outside the bar is the best spot at ET anyway

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Who needs to sit? Standing outside the bar is the best spot at ET anyway

If you’re not standing two or three deep it’s passable. £23 for a park is pretty steep though. 

View from the new stand is quite good. Quite high up at the back.

25 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

Talking to a chap sat next to me in the south stand. He'd been allocated a temporary seat in there until he moves across the ground in early May 

Wigan is worrying. It's well known that United going back into the Prem will hit Headingly crowds but Wigan football not doing at all well at the moment 

Wigan Athletic are currently 20th in the Championship.

Those are pretty poor attendances for top flight sport.  The decline of Wigan is just highlighting how poor the sport is doing in general.  Salford’s improvement shows they have a long way to go but also what some on field success could achieve given time. 

29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If you’re not standing two or three deep it’s passable. £23 for a park is pretty steep though. 

Should have bought a season ticket. Cheap as chips.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Has the demise of Bradford affected SL crowds to a large extent?

Yes. However, if and when the Bulls get back into SL, they may never return to their previous attendance figures. It's easier to lose fans than attract them back again. 

Just now, nadera78 said:

Should have bought a season ticket. Cheap as chips.

Oh, I got one. Never know when there’ll be Super League within the M25 again so didn’t want to miss the chance ? 

But if I want to bring a mate then it’s £23 to watch top flight rugby in what, in football terms, are borderline Vanarama South/Bostik League facilities...

Honestly never thought I’d see the day when Warrington’s average attendance overtook Wigan’s.

Maybe a revival later in the season will boost things a little.   I wonder if Edwards’ hesitancy could affect season ticket sales for 2020?   If he wants the Wigan fans’ respect I think he’ll have to make a decision soon so Lenagan can find a replacement and give the fans some hope (assuming Lam isn’t being considered for the job long-term of course - does he have a deal lined up elsewhere for next season?).

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Yes. However, if and when the Bulls get back into SL, they may never return to their previous attendance figures. It's easier to lose fans than attract them back again. 

You could be right. It depends who's in charge of the club. Prior to the Bulls brand, Bradford's attendances seem to be about average most seasons. That suggests their core support base is better than most.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is no real point comparing London to Widnes.

Most of the attendances are up but the total average is down. London's arrival is a major factor in the drop so it is needed to clarify the situation. For that reason there was a point to it.

There is also a comparison to last year in the Championship which didn't need to be there, but shows how far London attendances have gone up. 

1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

Those are pretty poor attendances for top flight sport.  The decline of Wigan is just highlighting how poor the sport is doing in general.  Salford’s improvement shows they have a long way to go but also what some on field success could achieve given time. 

Congratulations Salford;  what Salford are doing on the pitch is interesting, they are trying new things, being entertaining. As they polish their skills and techniques they will be formidable. People will gravitate to the exceptional, the talented, the spectacular. Sport is a part of the entertainment business and people love to be entertained. Looking forward to seeing how Salford prosper this season.

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

What is disappointing but entirely predictable is Wigan's continued slide.

What are the reasons for this? They have a great track record as serial winners and they have a big modern stadium. Why have they been on a "continued slide" ?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I normally pay to see the entertainment and I'd sooner stand.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

What are the reasons for this? They have a great track record as serial winners and they have a big modern stadium. Why have they been on a "continued slide" ?

Is watching an unsuccessful football (soccer) team more entertaining? I'm not sure how Wigan Athletic attendances are going. 

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Is watching an unsuccessful football (soccer) team more entertaining? I'm not sure how Wigan Athletic attendances are going. 

According to my son , a WA ST holder after seeing the DW on Thursday , he said " Lattics are getting more than that "

It'd be informative to see the average, average attendance of the 12 highest clubs in this table each year they were in SL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League#All_Time_Super_League_table

There's not much to be gained by including bit part players like Widnes, KR, or London in the average attendance if you're looking at the general direction of the league.

47 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

According to my son , a WA ST holder after seeing the DW on Thursday , he said " Lattics are getting more than that "

I decided to find out and found this:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2018-2019/1/

Wigan Athletic 11423 for the 2018-19 season which is mostly done already. I thought it would have been higher. I noticed Leeds Utd are getting 33,491 and Hull City 12,233. Huddersfield in the EPL are averaging 23,000. So for Huddersfield and Leeds the soccer sides do much better, Wigan similar and considering there are two RL teams in Hull, RL is doing better there.

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I decided to find out and found this:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2018-2019/1/

Wigan 11423 for the 2018-19 season which is mostly done already. I thought it would have been higher. I noticed Leeds Utd are getting 33,491 and Hull City 12,233. So part from Leeds, the Football teams mentioned in towns where top RL is played aren't better attended. 

You thought a Wigan team in a relegation battle in the second tier in a RL city that is not a traditional football and is surrounded by much bigger clubs would do better? Frankly Im amazed they break 5 figures. 

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

So what's the comparison between L1 and Championship regarding attendance for the Bulls? If its not increasing you probably have your answer.

In 2018 in league 1, Bradford averaged 3,574 and with three Championship matches in 2019, the average is 4,652. Those three games are 6,024, 4,182 and 3,751. The slide is hopefully not relevant. 

In SL, Bradford was mostly in five digit territory although it did fall as the problems emerged. I did an overview article on Bradford attendances here a little while back:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2018/07/bradford-bulls-1996-2018.html

Archived