SL Attendances So Far In 2019

31 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• Castleford - 7,779 (7,898)
  • Catalans - 8,435 (8,353)
  • Huddersfield - 5,388 (5,745)
  • Hull FC - 11,363 (12,174)
  • Salford - 4,012 (2,748)
  • Warrington - 11,533 (10,088)
  • Hull KR - 8,374 (7,964)
  • St Helens - 12,863 (11,478)
  • Leeds - 12,224 (12,807)
  • Wakefield - 5,011 (5,244)
  • Wigan - 10,605 (11,708)
  • London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Hopefully all other clubs get an uplift as well over the next two rounds.

I think the major thing to monitor is the summer period. I think I am right in saying that we generally see a dip in the summer months, plus for the last few years we have seen the Super 8's land in this period, which has seen lower crowds. This year we still have the seasonality issue, but not the 8's, although we do have the loop games.

It will be interesting to monitor.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Leeds are a little misleading because of the two Elland Road games in there and the restricted capacity

Id be surprised if, taking out the difference between London and Widnes, we didn't see a decent amount of growth by the end of the year. Nothing mind-blowing but somewhere around 3-5% which is statistically significant enough to call growth. 

Suspect both London & Widnes will individually be up on last season too, even though the swap brings the overall SL average down . As others have said, it's whether the loop fixtures do better than the super-8s (which I expect they will) that will determine whether there's any growth over the season.

Catalans will definitely finish with growth YoY off the back of the Camp Nou match. Already it has moved above their average and with a 30K+ crowd very realistic at this stage, they arguably get 3-5 games aggregate in one fixture.

It might be this game as well which helps the season average.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Broncos numbers will dip this week unfortunately. Getting to Ealing on a Thursday night is impossible for some of the more remote fans. And the club, as usual, have done nothing to tell the world the game is taking place. I'll be surprised if it exceeds 1,200 tomorrow night.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 17/04/2019 at 11:24, Yakstorm said:

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• Castleford - 7,779 (7,898)
  • Catalans - 8,435 (8,353)
  • Huddersfield - 5,388 (5,745)
  • Hull FC - 11,363 (12,174)
  • Salford - 4,012 (2,748)
  • Warrington - 11,533 (10,088)
  • Hull KR - 8,374 (7,964)
  • St Helens - 12,863 (11,478)
  • Leeds - 12,224 (12,807)
  • Wakefield - 5,011 (5,244)
  • Wigan - 10,605 (11,708)
  • London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Hopefully all other clubs get an uplift as well over the next two rounds.

The figures for Huddersfield are shocking considering they did a dirt cheap deal for season tickets this year. It was something like £99 adult tickets.

Despite this attendances are down, that’s going to be costing Ken Davy big time, hopefully it doesn’t bankrupt the club as happened at Bradford. 

On 11/03/2019 at 23:27, RayCee said:

In 2018 in league 1, Bradford averaged 3,574 and with three Championship matches in 2019, the average is 4,652. Those three games are 6,024, 4,182 and 3,751. The slide is hopefully not relevant. 

In SL, Bradford was mostly in five digit territory although it did fall as the problems emerged. I did an overview article on Bradford attendances here a little while back:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2018/07/bradford-bulls-1996-2018.html

Fev and York had decent travelling support 1st 2 games. 3rd one was Toulouse, I imagine the majority see a drop when Toulouse come to town.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the capacity at Cas these days? Thought they might have sold that one out.

It's still officially listed at 11,513 and they got a crowd around that figure just last year so I imagine it hasn't dropped much if at all.

Still a solid crowd.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So this Easter Weekend was targeted as one to break SL records. Interesting to watch this one.

Not always a fair comparison,  Warrington against Salford would draw less than against widnes, the hull and Wigan  fixtures should draw a decent average and cas had a good crowd last night but London at home will bring any average down.

37 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

By who?

One of Rob Elstone's 13 aims for this year that was released at the start of the season to the media. 

Of course this wasn't widely publicised so it'll just be ignored like the targets in the previous SL strategy doc like selling out day 1 of Magic Weekend!

Just now, Dave T said:

One of Rob Elstone's 13 aims for this year that was released at the start of the season to the media. 

Of course this wasn't widely publicised so it'll just be ignored like the targets in the previous SL strategy doc like selling out day 1 of Magic Weekend!

Ah, okay. I had no idea what you were on about and it seems that nothing out of the ordinary has been done by Super League or clubs (though some clubs have, as usual, marketed and advertised well) for this round. 

20 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not always a fair comparison,  Warrington against Salford would draw less than against widnes, the hull and Wigan  fixtures should draw a decent average and cas had a good crowd last night but London at home will bring any average down.

Aye, but it is an SLE target. 

Had we sold out Wigan, Hull, Cas and Wire, which are all a stretch, but achievable, then that would have been 75k over 4 games. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ah, okay. I had no idea what you were on about and it seems that nothing out of the ordinary has been done by Super League or clubs (though some clubs have, as usual, marketed and advertised well) for this round. 

Yep, just looks like more of the same doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aye, but it is an SLE target. 

Had we sold out Wigan, Hull, Cas and Wire, which are all a stretch, but achievable, then that would have been 75k over 4 games. 

We aren't a million miles away tbf.

We should get two 20k+ figures today. I reckon we will break 65k for those 4 games.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Better to have a target of 80,000 and get close than a target of 60,000 and achieve it.

A quick look at the Good Friday games during the Super League Era.

Averages:

Across 6 games - 9,800

Across 7 games - 11,094

Last 5 years - 10,630

First year of SL - 7,724

High - 12.636 in 2012 (7 games)

Cumulative:

Across 6 games -

average of 58,802

High of 72,670 (2015)

Low of 46,345 (1996)

Across 7 games -

ave - 77,661

High - 88,455 (2012)

Low of 56,344 (1999)

So if we end up with Wigan (22,000), Hull (20,000), Leeds (12,500), Wire (11,500), Cas (9,300), London (1,000) - that would give us 75k, which would be the highest crowd ever across a 6 round Good Friday. 72,670 is the number to beat from 2015.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Or when you make them up in London’s case. Never 2k there. You’d have to be a complete muppet to believe otherwise 

So how many were there?

Ignore all the 2153 claimed for London and that still gives an aggregate of 77020 which is still a record based on the figures Dave T supplied. We have a little bit of good news to shout about and you want to knock it down because London may have claimed a few hundred too many?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived