Sign in to follow this  
RayCee

SL Attendances So Far In 2019

25 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

That's just not true. They've been out in the local area a lot marketing games.

I’ve seen that. Handing leaflets out mainly I think. Skolars do this plus building community clubs and working with schools. Thing is it doesn’t seem to deliver new punters through the turnstiles. Need a bigger buz and media exposure. 

3 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’ve seen that. Handing leaflets out mainly I think. Skolars do this plus building community clubs and working with schools. Thing is it doesn’t seem to deliver new punters through the turnstiles. Need a bigger buz and media exposure. 

i agree, I mean it can't do anyharm, you must pick the odd fan up from it, but the reality is you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Fans moan that you aren't trying if you don't, but it costs money for very little return.  "Marketing" a pro sport's club is a funny one and needs loads of money and PR skill I guess to do it right, and even then is it really the main driver for attendances?  TWP seem to have a good idea of how to do it, they seem to have some very savvy people in their media team, they got themselves all over TV / newspapers / online but they are in a very different market to London and the Broncos would never get that from the London media or UK TV stations no matter what they did.

Focusing on the match day experience is the right thing and they seem to be doing well with that.

5 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

That's just not true. They've been out in the local area a lot marketing games.

?

Go on then, hit me with it, what have they been doing? I could do with a good laugh.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

?

Go on then, hit me with it, what have they been doing? I could do with a good laugh.

Grow up

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Grow up

I'm serious. I'd love to know what marketing activities the club has been engaged in.

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• Castleford - 7,779 (7,898)
  • Catalans - 8,435 (8,353)
  • Huddersfield - 5,388 (5,745)
  • Hull FC - 11,363 (12,174)
  • Salford - 4,012 (2,748)
  • Warrington - 11,533 (10,088)
  • Hull KR - 8,374 (7,964)
  • St Helens - 12,863 (11,478)
  • Leeds - 12,224 (12,807)
  • Wakefield - 5,011 (5,244)
  • Wigan - 10,605 (11,708)
  • London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Hopefully all other clubs get an uplift as well over the next two rounds.

• Like 1

signature.jpg

19 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Like for like, Wakey are up about 6% attendances vs same opponents this year

37 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

• London - 2,132

Leeds are a little misleading because of the two Elland Road games in there and the restricted capacity

Id be surprised if, taking out the difference between London and Widnes, we didn't see a decent amount of growth by the end of the year. Nothing mind-blowing but somewhere around 3-5% which is statistically significant enough to call growth. 

31 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

• London - 2,132

I think the major thing to monitor is the summer period. I think I am right in saying that we generally see a dip in the summer months, plus for the last few years we have seen the Super 8's land in this period, which has seen lower crowds. This year we still have the seasonality issue, but not the 8's, although we do have the loop games.

It will be interesting to monitor.

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Leeds are a little misleading because of the two Elland Road games in there and the restricted capacity

Id be surprised if, taking out the difference between London and Widnes, we didn't see a decent amount of growth by the end of the year. Nothing mind-blowing but somewhere around 3-5% which is statistically significant enough to call growth. 

Suspect both London & Widnes will individually be up on last season too, even though the swap brings the overall SL average down . As others have said, it's whether the loop fixtures do better than the super-8s (which I expect they will) that will determine whether there's any growth over the season.

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

Suspect both London & Widnes will individually be up on last season too, even though the swap brings the overall SL average down . As others have said, it's whether the loop fixtures do better than the super-8s (which I expect they will) that will determine whether there's any growth over the season.

I suspect they will purely on the numbers who have supposedly bought season tickets. 

However I think we will be up a little despite that, Salford have nearly doubled their attendance, Wakefield have put on a decent about game for game. Wire are putting a bit of a push on, les Catalans are up even from the winter games when generally they do the opposite and see their biggest games in the summer. 

Add to that Leeds will open the North stand soon and will be looking to put on at least a couple of big attendances to celebrate, up towards the 18/19k mark, and will be looking to get the averages back to the 15/16k mark rather than the 12/13k mark 

Catalans will definitely finish with growth YoY off the back of the Camp Nou match. Already it has moved above their average and with a 30K+ crowd very realistic at this stage, they arguably get 3-5 games aggregate in one fixture.

It might be this game as well which helps the season average.

signature.jpg

Broncos numbers will dip this week unfortunately. Getting to Ealing on a Thursday night is impossible for some of the more remote fans. And the club, as usual, have done nothing to tell the world the game is taking place. I'll be surprised if it exceeds 1,200 tomorrow night.

9 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Castleford v Wakefield - 9,316 so that will see the Tigers back in the green.

Do we know what the Broncos got?

What's the capacity at Cas these days? Thought they might have sold that one out.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 17/04/2019 at 11:24, Yakstorm said:

• London - 2,132

The figures for Huddersfield are shocking considering they did a dirt cheap deal for season tickets this year. It was something like £99 adult tickets.

Despite this attendances are down, that’s going to be costing Ken Davy big time, hopefully it doesn’t bankrupt the club as happened at Bradford. 

On 11/03/2019 at 23:27, RayCee said:

In 2018 in league 1, Bradford averaged 3,574 and with three Championship matches in 2019, the average is 4,652. Those three games are 6,024, 4,182 and 3,751. The slide is hopefully not relevant. 

In SL, Bradford was mostly in five digit territory although it did fall as the problems emerged. I did an overview article on Bradford attendances here a little while back:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2018/07/bradford-bulls-1996-2018.html

Fev and York had decent travelling support 1st 2 games. 3rd one was Toulouse, I imagine the majority see a drop when Toulouse come to town.

So this Easter Weekend was targeted as one to break SL records. Interesting to watch this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the capacity at Cas these days? Thought they might have sold that one out.

It's still officially listed at 11,513 and they got a crowd around that figure just last year so I imagine it hasn't dropped much if at all.

Still a solid crowd.

signature.jpg

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So this Easter Weekend was targeted as one to break SL records. Interesting to watch this one.

Not always a fair comparison,  Warrington against Salford would draw less than against widnes, the hull and Wigan  fixtures should draw a decent average and cas had a good crowd last night but London at home will bring any average down.

37 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

By who?

One of Rob Elstone's 13 aims for this year that was released at the start of the season to the media. 

Of course this wasn't widely publicised so it'll just be ignored like the targets in the previous SL strategy doc like selling out day 1 of Magic Weekend!

Just now, Dave T said:

One of Rob Elstone's 13 aims for this year that was released at the start of the season to the media. 

Of course this wasn't widely publicised so it'll just be ignored like the targets in the previous SL strategy doc like selling out day 1 of Magic Weekend!

Ah, okay. I had no idea what you were on about and it seems that nothing out of the ordinary has been done by Super League or clubs (though some clubs have, as usual, marketed and advertised well) for this round. 

20 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not always a fair comparison,  Warrington against Salford would draw less than against widnes, the hull and Wigan  fixtures should draw a decent average and cas had a good crowd last night but London at home will bring any average down.

Aye, but it is an SLE target. 

Had we sold out Wigan, Hull, Cas and Wire, which are all a stretch, but achievable, then that would have been 75k over 4 games. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ah, okay. I had no idea what you were on about and it seems that nothing out of the ordinary has been done by Super League or clubs (though some clubs have, as usual, marketed and advertised well) for this round. 

Yep, just looks like more of the same doesn't it?