SL Attendances So Far In 2019

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

So how many were there?

Ignore all the 2153 claimed for London and that still gives an aggregate of 77020 which is still a record based on the figures Dave T supplied. We have a little bit of good news to shout about and you want to knock it down because London may have claimed a few hundred too many?

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s good news and for the greater good I’ll go along with it. The doubling of the London crowd casts doubt in my eyes over the validity of these figures.

But, hey, we want a Sky TV deal renewal, so fark it.

Unfortunately, I'm with MoK here. They had set themselves a target of the 78k in the article and it looks like they have manipulated the numbers to beat it. 

Had they managed to get another 1 or 2k across other games they probably wouldn't have bothered.

It is a great result though, and the pleasing thing is there is room for growth with the same fixtures.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately, I'm with MoK here. They had set themselves a target of the 78k in the article and it looks like they have manipulated the numbers to beat it. 

Had they managed to get another 1 or 2k across other games they probably wouldn't have bothered.

It is a great result though, and the pleasing thing is there is room for growth with the same fixtures.

How do you think it was manipulated?  I understand they are still below the record high of 88k, but you said yourself the target was a lower figure than that.

7 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

How do you think it was manipulated?  I understand they are still below the record high of 88k, but you said yourself the target was a lower figure than that.

No, the targets I had written were just the Good Friday records. 

They beat the record they were going for by 260ish.

That London crowd on a Thurs would be outstanding.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, the targets I had written were just the Good Friday records. 

They beat the record they were going for by 260ish.

That London crowd on a Thurs would be outstanding.

That seems a bit far fetched.  On Thursday they couldn´t know what figure they needed.  Thursday before Easter would seem to be a good day for ticket sales, it´s basically their average for the season and I imagine they may have been encouraged by Super League to put effort into selling this one in particular.  

There is also the common misconception on attendances - every sport team reports attendance as ticket sold, so actual number of people there is lower due to mainly season ticket holders and comps not turning up.  

All that said I would be hesistant to call it a big success.  I´m not sure if we have just found more favourable fixtures or actually delivered some real growth there.  Plus don´t know what SL and the clubs did to support it.  

5 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

That seems a bit far fetched.  On Thursday they couldn´t know what figure they needed.  Thursday before Easter would seem to be a good day for ticket sales, it´s basically their average for the season and I imagine they may have been encouraged by Super League to put effort into selling this one in particular.  

There is also the common misconception on attendances - every sport team reports attendance as ticket sold, so actual number of people there is lower due to mainly season ticket holders and comps not turning up.  

All that said I would be hesistant to call it a big success.  I´m not sure if we have just found more favourable fixtures or actually delivered some real growth there.  Plus don´t know what SL and the clubs did to support it.  

Was the London crowd announced last night?

7 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I´m not sure if we have just found more favourable fixtures or actually delivered some real growth there. 

Bit of both. Sunny weather probably helps.

Last time Wigan v Saints was on Good Friday (2016), the crowd was 23, 390, so 22k is down a bit.

Hull KR v Hull last year was 12 000 odd (capacity), previous year when Hull were at home on Good Friday, it was against Leeds with a 15k crowd. So 22k is up a fair bit.

Warrington vs Salford got 11,867 which is better than any of their previous Good Friday games v Salford, but down a bit on their last Good Friday home game against Widnes.

Leeds v Huddersfield got 13 743, obviously quite a bit higher than 7544 at Huddersfield v Leeds previous year. Leeds haven't had a home good friday derby for a couple of years before that.

9,153 at Cas v Wakefield compared with 10 349 in 2017 at Cas or 7020 at Wakefield last year. 

Some decent championship crowds too - 5866 at Widnes, 3316 at Halifax.

I think questioning the crowds, saying things like its all manipulated is pathetic. The fact is there will always be questions in ALL sports about how crowds should be counted. Tickets sold, people through the gate....

The fact is a lot of people turned up and as long as the counting system is consistent from season to season, then variances are a valid measuring stick. This has been a fantastic start to the weekend in attendances but some will always look for the negative, be it counting people in photographs in Toronto to or the fact an over inflated London figure of just 2,000 will make huge difference to a TV deal. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I assumed so, but don´t know.  If it was delayed until after today´s games I´d agree it looks dodgy.  

It is pretty rare to get full attendance figures now. 

One thing I did find strange was that I don't think Wire announced theirs on Twitter during the game like normal. It got announced as part of the coordinated press release. But Hulls and Wigans were announced live so there may be nowt in that. 

If I was going to manipulate a crowd figure, I'd do it at a 20k plus game where even counting heads off a photo would be inconclusive. To go the by far the tiniest crowd where it would be obvious would be ridiculous. Plus I thought TV deals were based on bums on couches, not terraces. 

London won't be there next year, so don't worry.

There will either be 10k at Toronto or Toronto away to a SL side.

Not sure how anyone can not claim this round's crowds are anything but very promising. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Or when you make them up in London’s case. Never 2k there. You’d have to be a complete muppet to believe otherwise 

Take London out of the equation then, 77,000 still great. Over 20K at both Hull and Wigan, 9K at Cas, almost 14K at Leeds

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Take London out of the equation then, 77,000 still great. Over 20K at both Hull and Wigan, 9K at Cas, almost 14K at Leeds

Careful Mr P, I got a hint of positivity from your comment. 

I was at London and I think there were c. 1,200

I have been there when there were 2,200 this season and just over half that is about fair. 

Attendances for the games on Thursday and Good Friday:

Castleford Tigers v Wakefield Trinity  - 9,316

London Broncos v Catalans Dragons - 2,153

Hull FC v Hull KR - 20,044

Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants - 13,743

Warrington Wolves v Salford Red Devils - 11,867

Wigan Warriors v St Helens - 22,050

nowt wrong with those crowds stop moaning be positive.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

19 minutes ago, my missus said:

Yep - take London out (which is overstated anyway) and a touch away from 5 figure crowds all round. 

Some fine crowds today, well done to everyone who attended, great attendances across the board.

This thread is too positive overall despite the usual derailers popping up, so can one of the regular forum doomsayers now start a topic about how poor the Easter Monday crowds will be please with Huddersfield, Salford etc being at home and how that proves Sky will drop us like a hot potato in 2021 in favour of televised international draughts. Starter for 10: The Easter Monday crowds are guaranteed to be the lowest for at least a year!

11 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

It is, but not a record, and the pre-prepared release would go in the bin.

10 hours ago, my missus said:

Nobody is moaning about those crowds, just questioning the London one.

As part of my research earlier in this thread I looked at historic crowds, London v Cats on a Thurs has never hit this level. 

Do we actually know how the Easter Monday matches are selling? Naturally based upon the number of derbies stacked on Good Friday, there will be some relative round to round drop, but hopefully each of the clubs can continue to draw above average crowds.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived