16-17 Mar: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Without wishing the reignite the debate- the problem with L1 is we don’t know what it’s for. Is it an incubator for new clubs like WWR, a fast track into the game for foreign teams like Toronto, a recovery unit for big clubs fallen on hard times (Bradford), somewhere for established expansion clubs like Beats to get their feet or just the third tier of the pyramid? 

It should be the last but it acts as all of these and not always well, which is why Hemel have opted out and All Golds re-emerging in the amateur game.

If you make clubs play through the system then Toronto Toulouse etc will always have to start at the bottom.

Big clubs rebuilding well if they fall on hard times and replaced with new clubs then they will be in the bottom league as they can't fall any further.

Rebuild is similar to what some clubs are doing which is build. They however have foundations in place.

I wouldn't have had 14 clubs in champ and would have split league1 into 2.

This would have ment a 4th league (2) which would have created a better environment for newer clubs.

Any new big beast clubs could then go into league1.

Problem is Keighley and Hunslet would have still fell down to the bottom but on recent scores that might be their level.

Equally the problem that swinton may not win a game all season and Rochdale are struggling, these would be more competitive in league 1

6 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Hardly. Early try after HT in last two games would have led to that but not yesterday. They stayed focus. Should have gone for one point earlier in their last set so close to winning. Very good defending. Looked fit too.

All the predictions here were for a comfortable Cougars win. Hard test next week but I left happy but very cold  

18-6 up to being kept scoreless again and ending in an 18-18 draw is not really progress. 

28 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

18-6 up to being kept scoreless again and ending in an 18-18 draw is not really progress. 

Hey 

I’m not sure if you were at the game but my comments based on the overall performance and attitude yesterday not just the score line, although that was certainly an improvement on last two home games. 

Anyway let’s see what continues to happen.

Are you going to the double header  

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

BBC also have the Bears beating Workington 22-0. Will take that ?

What are the odds of Workington losing to Coventry 22-0 in League 1 while simultaneously beating Siddal 22-0 in the Challenge Cup!!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Crusaders 12:22 Hunslet, final score

Match report from our media manager in the local press.

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/sport/north_wales_crusaders/17507519.north-wales-crusaders-tough-start-to-the-season-continues-after-hunslet-reverse/

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

That seems fair enough - the turning point for me was the Hunslet try following a monumental brain, um, explosion by one of our players in-goal where he just stood still and let the Hunslet player touch down. In some respects the margin tended to flatter Hunslet, the 3 - 2 try margin's a better reflection of play for me. We're not quite gelling at the moment, when we do I fell the our opponents will be on the wrong side of a good hammering.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

What are the odds of Workington losing to Coventry 22-0 in League 1 while simultaneously beating Siddal 22-0 in the Challenge Cup!!

As a long (mostly) suffering town fan, we would find a way, believe me..... 

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

That seems fair enough - the turning point for me was the Hunslet try following a monumental brain, um, explosion by one of our players in-goal where he just stood still and let the Hunslet player touch down. In some respects the margin tended to flatter Hunslet, the 3 - 2 try margin's a better reflection of play for me. We're not quite gelling at the moment, when we do I fell the our opponents will be on the wrong side of a good hammering.

Just about sums it up Steve. If we’d have played like we did the last two games we would’ve won today. Silly mistakes costing us. The coach needs to give them all some passing practice too. The number of balls coming to the receivers head and resulting in an error is ridiculous. 

Fair play to hunslet they probably edged it today but I was not impressed with them given they are league leaders. 

A good first 20 minutes from Hunslet and then they seem to switch off for the next 40, I personally dont think they got out of 2nd gear all afternoon but did the job and never looked like losing even when Crusaders had a lot of pressure on the Hunslet line. Will have to improve against the better teams if they want to challenge for top spot. 

Archived