Barcelona record crowd?

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Being an RL fan for 30 years tells me that we are never pleasantly surprised by a crowd, so we should always expect the lower end. 

I expect 23.5k to be there.

Gledhill figure - 45,000

RFL /  Super League press release ahead of the game figure - 25,000

Catalans press release figure - 23,000

Actual figure - 22,375

Man of Kent figure - 5,000

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JonM said:

M. Guasch says 23 500 is the current figure in L'equipe.

I can't see the crowd being much above that, it will be disappointing if the record is not broken.

I expect most Catalans and Wigan fans will have their tickets now.

6 hours ago, JonM said:

Email gone out to all Barcelona members. Shame the weather isn't really encouraging for a walk-up crowd.

Today's article in L'independant points out that although Forbes Magazine has covered the game and there's been lot of interest in the Catalan press and elsewhere in the world, it's largely been ignored by the French media.

They don’t like anything that links both sides of the border.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can't see the crowd being much above that, it will be disappointing if the record is not broken.

I expect most Catalans and Wigan fans will have their tickets now.

I’d be happy with 23,500. Record crowd for the club and something to build on.

I think that crowd would fairly reflect the promotion that’s been done around it.

What frustrates me is that with a longer build up, schools work, and more marketing towards FCB fans this should have been a 30k+ crowd. 

I’d have given free tickets to all schools within 30minutes of the stadium. 

On 07/05/2019 at 11:38, FIVES TOUCH said:
Thank you for talking about the event. I am the main organizer. Teams come from Miami (Florida, USA), Badalona (Catalunya, Spain), Bordeaux, Agen, Montpellier, Perpignan (France). So far 11 teams are registered, including as you noticed a special one : the French Rugby League team. That’s why we would like to offer an English team the possibility of entering the competition. It would be the 12th and last team registered.
Registration is free (6 to 10 players)
We provide jerseys and meals after the tournament for players 
Players don’t need to be enrolled in a Rugby League Club
BUT
They have to be over 20 and high level Rugby skills are required
AND
The winners will parade and will be presented on the Camp Nou field during thr halftime of the Catalans Dragons / Wigan Warriors game ?

If you’re interested in entering the competition, please get in touch with me before Thursday evening. Here is my email address fivestouch@gmail.com

The entrance for the event is free. English Rugby League fans are really welcome. Snacks and drinks will be offered.

Information 
Friday May 17th 2019
Kick off 6.30 pm
Rugby Club Badalona stadium
50, Carretera de Canyet - 08916 Badalona
10 min from Barcelona

See you soon

Regards,
Nicolas
spacer.png

As a reminder, it is tomorrow evening in Badalona at 6:30

50, Carretera de Canyet

08916 Badalona

You'll be able to have a drink or/and dinner there

The French Rugby League Team :

Thomas Lasvenes, Charles Bouzinac, Clément Soubeyras, William Ousty, Thomas Lacans, Vincent Albert, Romain Puso, Fabien Flovie, Arthur Mourgue, Louis Carré.

23k is very poor and will not look good on tv or inspire them to continue this venture. This once again shows the importance of a strong international game as this shows you cannot grow the game through the clubs. 

I'll be disappointed if it is 23k considering Catalans v Wire attracted 18,150 is a less desirable stadium with far less marketing and media 10 years ago. 19k was the figure quoted before barca started to push the game so if only 4k has been sold in the last 2-3 weeks then it looks like barca fc influence has been minimal. 

The Catalan human tower in the video makes me wonder whether should they have gone all out turned the game into a Festival of Catalan Culture with a big half time show and entertainment/food outside the ground. Maybe it's not a good idea to appear political but a celebration of culture shouldn't be inherently political and, let's face it, it's the Dragon's big selling point to locals for this game.

Anyway as said above, I've learned my lesson about getting my hopes up for attendances at our events and with my rational head on 23-25,000 is fine. Not incredible but nothing to be upset about.

Seen some dismissive comments regarding the 23,500 figure.

If they sell 24,055 (600 more tickets), i'm pretty sure that they will have achieved the highest Super League crowd since 2005.

If they can sell 1,505 more tickets, they break the attendance record for this league.

If this is a failure, then what the hell are the other clubs in Super League?!

Here's hoping they get the record and can build on it with future games at the Nou Camp (fingers crossed).

Just now, Chris22 said:

Seen some dismissive comments regarding the 23,500 figure.

If they sell 24,055 (600 more tickets), i'm pretty sure that they will have achieved the highest Super League crowd since 2005.

If they can sell 1,505 more tickets, they break the attendance record for this league.

If this is a failure, then what the hell are the other clubs in Super League?!

Here's hoping they get the record and can build on it with future games at the Nou Camp (fingers crossed).

There is something in this. And the above post from scotchy too, but we all know that the aim was higher than this, as it should have been. 

If we beat the record, even by 100 it will be a positive, and the facts will show that the record SL crowd (outside of Magic and GF) will be in Barcelona.

But I still think it would be only a qualified success. These kind of initiatives need to be done to smash these records, not creep past them by minor percentages.

But hopefully they make some money from it and we do more and more things like this in future.

You’d have to hope that such a relatively small number of tickets can be shifted before Saturday by hook or crook so that the record can be broken. Depending on the validity of the original record in the first place ?

I think that crowd would fairly reflect the promotion that’s been done around it.

What frustrates me is that with a longer build up, schools work, and more marketing towards FCB fans this should have been a 30k+ crowd. 

I’d have given free tickets to all schools within 30minutes of the stadium. 

I agree !

38 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

All these bloody people on here boasting about going to Barcelona, well let me tell you something! I'm off down wilko later! Yeah, now who's jealous?! 

Feel your pain, I'm in work now....

…. but catching a flight a tea time ?

37 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

All these bloody people on here boasting about going to Barcelona, well let me tell you something! I'm off down wilko later! Yeah, now who's jealous?! 

Blackpool for us, and we might see some better Rugby than those heading to Spain!

Worry not those staying put in blighty, we are sat here in Barcelona watching cats & dogs fall from the sky. It is peeing it down. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 minutes ago, Padge said:

Worry not those staying put in blighty, we are sat here in Barcelona watching cats & dogs fall from the sky. It is peeing it down. 

I m in my hotel wondering how long the rain will last. I ll go out at 1200. Tetuan metro station is about 200 metres so should only get a bit wet.

Anybody interested in culture. It s free in all the museums tomorrow but you have to reserve a ticket in advance

I m going to the Picasso museum at 1230 then set off for Camp Nou about 1530. Most museums are open until 11pm tomorrow so I may go to the Catalunyan national art museum after the game and then a few beers.

29 minutes ago, Padge said:

Fortunately there are very many great bars and restaurants in that wonderful city. #stilljealous

Archived