Barcelona record crowd?

I met people that went from anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. I met people that flew from a wide variety of airports and flew into different airports in both France and Spain. You aren't going to get 20,000 people flying to and from the same airport at the same time and at the same day.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How many people travel to Barcelona and nearby airports from the UK weekly?

No idea - someone could look up the number of flights from each airport and work it out, I suppose. They have some big events (like Mobile World Congress) in Barcelona that can attract 100 000 people, but they aren't all leaving from the same dozen towns in the north of England.

I just think it's the wrong conclusion to draw from a very successful event.

Catalans need to continue to build links with Southern Catalonia & FCB. French RL needs a big annual event that every club can take a few coachloads to, as they did for this. Catalans don't need all the British fans who would normally visit Perpignan going to Barcelona for their annual weekend in the sun instead.

British RL needs to come up with events that can generate similar levels of media interest, but I don't think MW in Barcelona is the way to go. 

10 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I'd rather they had not put that middle picture in the report. As excellent as the attendance was people in that area are use to seeing abit more occupied then that. 

Every report I have seen was very complimentary about the crowd. Maybe the Spanish/Catalan media don't care about crowds like a lot of RL fans do and just see it for what it is, a record attendance for the game in a place where it is relatively unknown.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Your numbers are flawed by counting 60k as unique visitors.

More people are likely to go to both days in a place like Barca. You may target 40k unique visitors, maybe 20k from the UK.

If you went to Barcelona for a long weekend Dave would you spend the best part of two of your days watching six RL games, especially those you don't have a connection with?

rldfsignature.jpg

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

No idea - someone could look up the number of flights from each airport and work it out, I suppose. They have some big events (like Mobile World Congress) in Barcelona that can attract 100 000 people, but they aren't all leaving from the same dozen towns in the north of England.

I just think it's the wrong conclusion to draw from a very successful event.

Catalans need to continue to build links with Southern Catalonia & FCB. French RL needs a big annual event that every club can take a few coachloads to, as they did for this. Catalans don't need all the British fans who would normally visit Perpignan going to Barcelona for their annual weekend in the sun instead.

British RL needs to come up with events that can generate similar levels of media interest, but I don't think MW in Barcelona is the way to go. 

MW In major tourist destinations is a great way to go imho. Barcelona is the topic here because of the game at the weekend. But it is as good as anywhere.

Just now, deluded pom? said:

If you went to Barcelona for a long weekend Dave would you spend the best part of two of your days watching six RL games, especially those you don't have a connection with?

Magic ain't about just watching the RL though. It is about the festival. I'd also stay for longer than 2 days.

Just now, Dave T said:

Magic ain't about just watching the RL though. It is about the festival. I'd also stay for longer than 2 days.

Yes but the point I'm trying to make is how many people would attend both days? If the minority then even your 20K from the UK won't post huge attendance figures.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes but the point I'm trying to make is how many people would attend both days? If the minority then even your 20K from the UK won't post huge attendance figures.

But we don't need huge attendance figures. Just two teams played the other day in front of 31k.

50k total attendance ain't a problem.

There were media stories in France about the fact that it was impossible to hire a coach or minibus on Saturday because nearly 400 of them were going to Barcelona. 

As I said earlier this is where Super League should go to the relevent local authorities and say give us £2 million and we will have Magic there. These are the economic benefits of the Nou Camp game and based on these figures you will get 30,000 spending an average of £500 a person ploughing £15 million into the local economy (very conservative figures). If they don't pay then don't do it but if they do then attendance doesn't become an issue.

4 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

OK let's try it then. Serious question How many over the weekend do you think would attend. 

Start with a 15k target for Catalans fans.

10k locals.

Another 15k to 20k from UK. 

These are all starting points. 

People from the UK have a choice of Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Newcastle airports to fly from, and a handful to fly into in Spain and the South of France if needed.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It would be hefty majority imo. Yes its an excuse, and yes not all would attend all games but I would expect it to be a tiny minority that would go all that way and only go for one of the days. 

You must have a more understanding other half than me is all I can say. How many wives and girlfriends want to go for a break in Barcelona to sit in a football stadium for 6 to 7 hours on two days? Then there are the people who have never been to Barcelona before. How many of those would do the same?

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, Damien said:

As I said earlier this is where Super League should go to the relevent local authorities and say give us £2 million and we will have Magic there. These are the economic benefits of the Nou Camp game and based on these figures you will get 30,000 spending an average of £500 a person ploughing £15 million into the local economy (very conservative figures). If they don't pay then don't do it but if they do then attendance doesn't become an issue.

This is exactly how the Tour de France works.  Cities and Towns bid for it.  In this instance, such an approach would be welcomed by either party imo.

Mostly, it would be more costly.  But, as for flights.  Speak to Michael O'Leary for starters - plus there are Barcelona, Reus and Girona airports to go at.  In France, you could fly to Perpignan, Carca  or Bezier - Montpellier also.  Trains from all wouldn't be mega.

imo its a pipedream, but it would make a hell of a statement.

How about letting Catalans play Toulouse / Toronto there instead of playing at MW? Assuming one of those two get promoted next year.

I guess the issue would be taking some attention (media and fans) away from MW, but would make a lot of sense otherwise.

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You must have a more understanding other half than me is all I can say. How many wives and girlfriends want to go for a break in Barcelona to sit in a football stadium for 6 to 7 hours on two days? Then there are the people who have never been to Barcelona before. How many of those would do the same?

I don't think it would be a majority, but even if you get 40k unique visitors and only 25% of them go for both days, you end up with a 50k total figure. 50% brings you to the 60k standard. Or more than 40k unique visitors smashes that, which is not impossible considering one game got 31k visitors.

And I think plenty would make it a longer stay than the two days. 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

If I went I'd genuinely watch the saints game, catalans and depending on the opposition the Wigan game. 3 games max but that's just my personal opinion. If people go magic and watch all 7 then fair play. 

7 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

If I went I'd genuinely watch the saints game, catalans and depending on the opposition the Wigan game. 3 games max but that's just my personal opinion. If people go magic and watch all 7 then fair play. 

7? Do you know something we don't Pete?

rldfsignature.jpg

21 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Many just do that anyway if it's in Newcastle, Cardiff or wherever. I don't think people are any more or less likely to do that due to it being in Barcelona.

On 19/05/2019 at 18:55, Whippet13 said:

From the sports supplement in the Barcelona Sunday paper.

20190519_095743.jpg

'Mundo Deportivo' is the national sports daily in Spain. Great to get a full-page spread. Whereas the 'L'Equipe' gave it a third of a page as per last years Wembley coverage. Wait with anticipation the break through if/when the arrival of Toulouse Olympique. The crowd at Camp Nou the highest in Europe this past weekend for either rugby code?

camp nou 18-05-2019.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

I absolutely loved spending five days in Barcelona and I do not have any criticism of the city or the stadium, I know plenty of people were peeved by the fact the beer in the stadium was alcohol free but I didn't mind. The Catalans fans were a passionate bunch and I enjoyed their patter. It's a shame the team I support(Wigan) couldnt perform on the pitch but that's been the case all seasons.

Archived