Barcelona record crowd?

1 hour ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Where did you get that info?  Their average attendance is usually 75k, so not sure how there could be 85k STs and still a waiting list.  

Their website (& accounts). It does seem plenty of people have season tickets and don't turn up. Remember it's a supporters owned club, having a season ticket gets you a vote and other things. I've been quite surprised how many people roll up 10 minutes after the start of the game in the past. They report numbers in the ground and don't count season ticket holders who don't turn up in the attendance figures.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

The picture I posted above was 57k to see them pick the title up. Guessing a few fans was ###### off after the champions league exit. Hopefully Saturday will look OK. I was trying to get figures for the nou camp tiers. I imagine the top will be closed and that's good news as its not really in view on TV cameras anyway. Hopefully the bottom and middle will look respectable. It's one bloody big stadium and it's great not only for fans but for the cats and wigan players to get to play on that stage. Who knows it might even encourage some French/catalonia kids to crack on with rugby league if opportunities like this are available. 

When I went to see a Barcelona league game a few years ago, against some fairly unfashionable club, the ground was no more than three quarters full. It was a strange atmosphere, more like a day at the cricket in England (outside of the party stands) where people came for a social gathering with picnics etc and chatted whilst the match was on. It was a good game though, Barca won 4-1

3 hours ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Where did you get that info?  Their average attendance is usually 75k, so not sure how there could be 85k STs and still a waiting list.  In any case I'd never trust waiting list figures as a measure of demand - conversion to sale is terrible - it's usually more of a PR figure.  

Not to say 75k average is to be sniffed at.  I'm genuinely curious, it seems odd to me why they don't seem to sell out.  

Their ‘socios’ buy season tickets to ensure they dont miss out on big games and to take part in elections (it’s members own the club.) That usually means high profile La Liga and Champions Leagues games. There isnt as much demand for random league games.

10 hours ago, JonM said:

Their website (& accounts). It does seem plenty of people have season tickets and don't turn up. Remember it's a supporters owned club, having a season ticket gets you a vote and other things. I've been quite surprised how many people roll up 10 minutes after the start of the game in the past. They report numbers in the ground and don't count season ticket holders who don't turn up in the attendance figures.

Cheers. Didn't know they reported them differently, but makes sense. 

14 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Cheers. Didn't know they reported them differently, but makes sense. 

Certainly makes more sense than the English system of counting tickets that don't turn up. Manchester City and Arsenal quite often have "sell out crowds" with empty seats everywhere, mostly season ticket holders that don't turn up or corporate tickets that have been given out but not bothered attending, and then there's kids living down the road that have never had the chance to see their team play, sad really.

Email gone out to all Barcelona members. Shame the weather isn't really encouraging for a walk-up crowd.

Today's article in L'independant points out that although Forbes Magazine has covered the game and there's been lot of interest in the Catalan press and elsewhere in the world, it's largely been ignored by the French media.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Good idea, let's set a few Bulls loose in nou camp and let them chase Sam tomkins round for 80 minutes, entertainment at its finest! I'd be on the next flight out!

I’d still give the bull the penalty. 

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Email gone out to all Barcelona members. Shame the weather isn't really encouraging for a walk-up crowd.

Today's article in L'independant points out that although Forbes Magazine has covered the game and there's been lot of interest in the Catalan press and elsewhere in the world, it's largely been ignored by the French media.

Yeah I read that. It seems like some things never change within France. It does perhaps highlight why the game needs a second Super League team and why we need Toulouse in Super League. It is much more difficult to ignore 2 teams, particularly when one is in a major city, than some regional backwater whose Catalan identity wont particularly endear it to much of the country. I know that is a strength of the Catalans but with no other French team its probably a bit of a weakness in terms of growing the French game as a whole.

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So 23k sold. 

Really good for a regular fixture SL game, but from a perspective view for the locals of Barcelona and indeed anywhere else who my watch it on TV, a 2/3rds empty stadium will do RL no favours. We the converted can wallow in the sense of occasion and proclaim the crowd figures to be very good but realistically they are not and will it also send out the wrong message?.

All that can be hoped for is that the contest itself will be that good and that having a taste of the game it will have caught the publics imagination and will be repeated next year, a one-off exercise will do nothing whatsoever to lift the profile of Rugby League, in fact it will be ammunition to the Rah Rah's who I believe have filled this very same stadium previously.

I wonder if they are understating sales or if that figure doesn't include all sales. The match has had days where it has moved over 900 tickets in 24 hours and they announced over 22,000 sold almost a week ago, so the figures don't add up.

Same, if you look at ticket sales there has even been strong sales onto the third level between the 10 - 10 and behind the ingoals, so unless they're all freebies or they are just randomly taking small groups of seats off sale everywhere, then I can't see how only 23K has been moved.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

39 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

I wonder if they are understating sales or if that figure doesn't include all sales. The match has had days where it has moved over 900 tickets in 24 hours and they announced over 22,000 sold almost a week ago, so the figures don't add up.

Same, if you look at ticket sales there has even been strong sales onto the third level between the 10 - 10 and behind the ingoals, so unless they're all freebies or they are just randomly taking small groups of seats off sale everywhere, then I can't see how only 23K has been moved.

Being an RL fan for 30 years tells me that we are never pleasantly surprised by a crowd, so we should always expect the lower end. 

I expect 23.5k to be there.

1 hour ago, Yakstorm said:

I think it's more likely the 22k was an overestimate.

11 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I think it's more likely the 22k was an overestimate.

At the end of the day we don't know and don't know if these figures include all sources, such as those being sold by Barcelona FC directly.

Reported here 89 journalists accredited for Saturday. Television covered by TV3 (Spain) and Bein Sport (France) - the latter give feeds to Sky (UK) and Fox (Australia) I think.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

16 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Bullfighting 

I think bullfighting was made illegal by the Catalan government. The main bullring near Placa Espanya is now a shopping complex.

34 minutes ago, JonM said:

if we can share this article there is a 'view counter' on the article. Just under 500 atm but after the Super League fb page posted it, the count went up very quickly. Given the influential status of such media outlets like Forbes, the more clicks the better!

11 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Their ‘socios’ buy season tickets to ensure they dont miss out on big games and to take part in elections (it’s members own the club.) That usually means high profile La Liga and Champions Leagues games. There isnt as much demand for random league games.

I want to Barcelona v Real Betis in November and there were 83 000 on if I remember correctly. Messi had a poor game. Only scored three goals!! But Barca lost 3-4 !!!!

Archived