England RL Shirt

I hope nobody bought an England RL shirt at full price (until very recently they were still being sold for £50), because they're now being sold off for £12.50.

https://shop.rugby-league.com/replica/england-rl-replica/

Now, although I thought that £50 was massively overpriced originally anyway, I think discounting them at this level is absolutely shameful. It is an insult to anyone who did pay the full price, and it absolutely sends out the message in future never to bother buying anything when it first comes out, because in a short space of time, the price is going to be reduced by an enormous amount. This England shirt was released in June 2018 (so 9 months ago) and we have played five matches in that time. I fully understand that prices get reduced towards the end of a kits cycle - it happens with football clubs and in every sport - but come on? 9 months at £50 and now £12.50. I'm glad that I never spent any money getting one, because I'd be raging right now. I might get one for £12.50 though. Haha

Am I the only one that thinks this is both wrong and harmful to the sport? I mean, I get that reductions happen eventually, but when it's on this scale and so soon, doesn't that destroy peoples confidence in the product and discourage anyone from ever paying the original prices?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had a new shirt out right now, and this one was already 12-18 months old I could maybe see the point, but 9 months in with no replacement is just poor form. Epitomises the RFLs running of the England set up off the field.

29 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I hope nobody bought an England RL shirt at full price (until very recently they were still being sold for £50), because they're now being sold off for £12.50.

Now, although I thought that £50 was massively overpriced originally anyway, I think discounting them at this level is absolutely shameful. It is an insult to anyone who did pay the full price, and it absolutely sends out the message in future never to bother buying anything when it first comes out, because in a short space of time, the price is going to be reduced by an enormous amount. This England shirt was released in June 2018 (so 9 months ago) and we have played five matches in that time. I fully understand that prices get reduced towards the end of a kits cycle - it happens with football clubs and in every sport - but come on? 9 months at £50 and now £12.50. I'm glad that I never spent any money getting one, because I'd be raging right now. I might get one for £12.50 though. Haha

Am I the only one that thinks this is both wrong and harmful to the sport? I mean, I get that reductions happen eventually, but when it's on this scale and so soon, doesn't that destroy peoples confidence in the product and discourage anyone from ever paying the original prices?

Happens every year in club sports. Buy my Leeds shirt for a tenner every year. Same in soccer, NFL, F1 any sport you can think of.

22 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Happens every year in club sports. Buy my Leeds shirt for a tenner every year. Same in soccer, NFL, F1 any sport you can think of.

Yes, I know, I acknowledged that in my post. I do however think the dynamics are slightly different with the England RL team though. I mean, aren't we trying to build the brand and attract people to support the team and the sport in general? It's not all about ripping people off and running, surely? I know that's what a lot of football clubs do, and so does the England football and rugby union teams (maybe cricket too), but their support bases are much deeper and better established and they can afford to get away with it more. Not forgetting that they actually play quite a few matches.

People are always saying that the international game is a good way to get people to take an interest in rugby league. I agree that it is - it certainly worked that way for me, because I'm from Hampshire and it was only through watching Great Britain on TV in 1990 that I took an interest in the sport. I just feel that the national team should be trying to build a loyal support base, and I don't think you do that with pricing strategies of this nature. Why not charge £25 or £30 for the shirt initially, given that you know it's only for 9 months?

I accept that I'm probably asking England RL to behave to higher and better standards than most other sports team do, but then I don't think England RL has the high profile or depth of support to take the ###### like the others.

31 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Thanks for the heads up. Bought one for me and my lad.

just bought one for me and my 2 kids too... and a pair of shorts for the gym/football/touch rugby.. and still didnt pay £50!!!

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yes, I know, I acknowledged that in my post. I do however think the dynamics are slightly different with the England RL team though. I mean, aren't we trying to build the brand and attract people to support the team and the sport in general? It's not all about ripping people off and running, surely? I know that's what a lot of football clubs do, and so does the England football and rugby union teams (maybe cricket too), but their support bases are much deeper and better established and they can afford to get away with it more. Not forgetting that they actually play quite a few matches.

People are always saying that the international game is a good way to get people to take an interest in rugby league. I agree that it is - it certainly worked that way for me, because I'm from Hampshire and it was only through watching Great Britain on TV in 1990 that I took an interest in the sport. I just feel that the national team should be trying to build a loyal support base, and I don't think you do that with pricing strategies of this nature. Why not charge £25 or £30 for the shirt initially, given that you know it's only for 9 months?

I accept that I'm probably asking England RL to behave to higher and better standards than most other sports team do, but then I don't think England RL has the high profile or depth of support to take the ###### like the others.

firstly thanks for the heads up.. 

secondly yes agree with what you are saying.. initially charge a bit less and sell more at that price.. i get properly cheesed off with some of the pricing... also if you do discount do it when the new range is out... i probably wont bother with a GB shirt now, and I might have done if it 1. had been released by now and 2. these had still been full price

25 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Probably trying to clear out some space in the cupboard to store all the GB shirts that will go unsold. 

We all know what to do now anyway. Don't buy one for £50 in November. Wait and get one for £12.50 in December when the cycle has ended.

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

We all know what to do now anyway. Don't buy one for £50 in November. Wait and get one for £12.50 in December when the cycle has ended.

To be fair i've got loads of jerseys and i always wait til the end of the season to get them cheaper.........the RFL probably buy them wholesale from Hummel for about £5 quid each.

This is very cheap though so i guess they have loads of stock left to shift ready for the GB stuff.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

well yes, but some people like to wear them to support the team.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

They've been £25 for a few weeks prior to this new price

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

59 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Probably trying to clear out some space in the cupboard to store all the GB shirts that will go unsold. 

The GB shirt will be a collector's item, because they won't make any more.

36 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Just bought one........12.50 bargain.

I guess they are wanting rid with no england games for a while.....must be staying with Hummell cos all the other gear is full price

They are expecting a big crowd at Hull for the first test.....  ?

Assuming they must make a tiny profit on these... otherwise they would be at a loss or shredded...  they would be ormally making £40 profit!  Ouch.

Did someone hit a fat finger on the keyboard with an extra zero when they ordered?

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Assuming they must make a tiny profit on these... otherwise they would be at a loss or shredded...  they would be ormally making £40 profit!  Ouch.

Did someone hit a fat finger on the keyboard with an extra zero when they ordered?

I used to pick up football shirts for £10 when I was younger and they changed every 2 years. and even then not much, and always thought the same.. that was when they were only about £30 full price... now full price just seems more ludicrous when you see this happen!

This is quite common when you need to shift stock. Assuming, IF, a GB shirt is going to be available leading up to the 'tour', they don't feel they can have both England and GB shirts available at full price. I.e. The consumer is the same for both shirts. Bad planning and bad management. Though maybe that is a bit harsh without knowing the full details behind such a thing. Maybe the Hummel deal will end early?.. and the greatest stock level is on jerseys.

They could do worse than trying to sell the lot to Matalan. Which is what a number of sports brands do to shift old stock.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The travesty is that fans were waiting on this new jersey for ages and after only 4 or 5 games and 9 months it is now discounted. We don't even know when England will play next and this jersey has basically been made redundant, hence no doubt the discounting.

No wonder we can't attract sponsors, who wants to put money into a partnership with so few benefits? Fans were waiting for this jersey for ages and as usual couldn't initially buy it and those that did got all of 9 months out of it before discounting, what a great incentive to buy and spend £50 the next time.

if only we played a couple of mid season internationals v someone like France and Wales and we would get a few more games for the partners and every year we are wearing the shirt rather than having years without england playing!

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The travesty is that fans were waiting on this new jersey for ages and after only 4 or 5 games and 9 months it is now discounted. We don't even know when England will play next and this jersey has basically been made redundant, hence no doubt the discounting.

No wonder we can't attract sponsors, who wants to put money into a partnership with so few benefits? Fans were waiting for this jersey for ages and as usual couldn't initially buy it and those that did got all of 9 months out of it before discounting, what a great incentive to buy and spend £50 the next time.

I bet Hummel and Dacia are well happy to be attached to England RL. One 3 game series then dissappear for 2 years. 

Probably got the GB rights for nothing.

Archived