What is the most boring job in the world?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, Methven Hornet said:

You've got to be joking. I was a postie for the last 10 years of my working life and it was brilliant. A 'lively' couple of hours of sorting and prepping, then plenty of exercise, chatting to young mothers and their children, business people, old pop stars, retired colonels, old farmers, playing with dogs, being attacked by cats, and driving around some of the most stunning countryside in Great Britain.

And I got paid for it!

Some very pretty posties around my way.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 14 March 2019 at 4:06 PM, JonM said:

My wife worked on the production line at Rowntrees in York and they were allowed to eat whatever they liked (but not take any away with them.) Within 4 weeks of starting work, she had a rash. GP told her it's pretty common for people that eat chocolate all day to develop an allergic reaction and they saw it all the time.

I had another call out years ago at  " Premier Brands " in Moreton on the Wirral. Chocolate mixing machine for what used to be  coating " Cadbury's " Fingers. These things are like a " Magi mix " only as big as a living room in a house. Wading in chocolate ankle deep soon loses it's attraction. I couldn't stand the smell of chocolate for at least a year after that job.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

posties pay nationally goes up to £11.39/hr after the first 12 months, outer London/inner London are £13.50 and £14.30 respectively, for inner London I would say that's never a living wage in a month of Sundays whilst in some places of the country despite earning £3/hr less, it's a wage that gives you a reasonably comfortable living.

Yes, I managed quite well. That said, the kids were no longer dependant on us, my wife worked full-time and our mortgage by that time was peanuts. And when I earned higher pay previously I had saved a lot of the extra.

Quite a few posties had decent houses, though, partly because it was a low cost area. And they married women on good money! ?

2 hours ago, Methven Hornet said:

And that's just the lads!

Seriously, the way you're supposed to do the job now - using trolleys - really takes a lot of the heavy lifting out of the job. That has led to lot more women doing the job.

One of my friends is a very petite 4 foot 10 lady, she's been a postie for years.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 3/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, Bearman said:

"Trapper" = youngest member of a family working in a coal mine. Job was to sit in the dark and open and close the doors when wagons came through. The doors had to be kept closed to allow air to circulate into the remotest parts of the tunnels 

Yes they sat in the dark . .only kids. . . hence the phrase 'not worth the candle'.

Just the rats for company  ugh! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

posties pay nationally goes up to £11.39/hr after the first 12 months, outer London/inner London are £13.50 and £14.30 respectively, for inner London I would say that's never a living wage in a month of Sundays whilst in some places of the country despite earning £3/hr less, it's a wage that gives you a reasonably comfortable living.

I returned to Royal Mail 6 months ago having done a different job for 8 years. The main reason I went back was the money, cannot fault the hourly rate, I'm earning nearly 3 times as much as I did in my previous job, I'm fit as a fiddle, working outdoors does wonders for your health (mental and physical) and it's an easy job - end of the day I'm pushing paper through letterboxes, no stress for me and you dont take work home with you.

There's people I went to uni with, who design kitchens or work hectic office jobs, they work longer hours (not 7.30am till 3.30pm!), earn less, stressed cos they aren't meeting targets and often have to take work home. They are indoors most of the day, and it shows.

I dont think it's  a boring job, mind you being 'new' I'm rarely on the same round for more than a few days. I can see how someone who has gone up the same drives for years on end must be bored.

Most boring job I've done was measuring the plastic index of soil from construction sites. It involved sitting at a desk, rolling bits of mud into thin shapes, weighing it, putting it in the oven, weighing it, recording a few figures and repeat, about 30 of those a day, 6 days a week.

Archived