V Sheffield

NickD

26 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Totally agree Nick. The lads gave everything apart from maybe one (remain nameless). Jack Smith's handling of the game today was appalling. TJ's weren't much better. Whatever went on out there today one side got heavily penalised, Dewsbury. If you get a balance from a referee, consistency, then fair play, but Smith played them into the game. I am not saying intentionally. He just doesn't have the required skills to be an official. On 3 occasions on tackle six he penalised us for holding down which were very contentious. Moscow 01 you were obviously watching a different game

That's a ref that does need to go to specsavers?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

It's the last 5 minutes BSJ. By that time we were a man short due to inept officiating. Sheffield had to throw the kitchen sink at us to salvage the game. They had an extra man. This week wasn't down to hanging on it was down to ###### officials and nobody will tell me otherwise. Kibula got sent off for nothing yet Finn kicks through on the last and nearly gets his head knocked off late and the referee waves play on. We have been masters of our own downfall but not today

spot on...Bit off the mark today Im afraid BSJ...In my opinion of course!!!

I came along to the game today expecting a close and tense game which it was.  But It was total indiscipline that cost Dewsbury the game I am afraid to say.  To blame those who were officiating is a total cop out in my books.

One player carded for starting the fight and throwing punches .   An incident involving Knowles being put on report.

The sending off. Some seem to think that Kibula should not have been sent off.  But when a player attempts to knock another player's head off in the style that Kibula used then he has to be sent off.   I was surprised however when the same happened in the second half  when the Dewsbury player was only yellow carded - lack of consistency there, but there may be further  to come at the disciplinary. Was it the Dewsbury game plan to get Farrell sent or carried off today?  

Then Finn flops onto a tackled player after the referee called held.  Hence another yellow.

The result snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I also understand that there was trouble on the terraces which looks like it was caused by home supporters and that  this might cause further problems for the Rams with the RFL.

8 hours ago, Fishmonger said:

I came along to the game today expecting a close and tense game which it was.  But It was total indiscipline that cost Dewsbury the game I am afraid to say.  To blame those who were officiating is a total cop out in my books.

One player carded for starting the fight and throwing punches .   An incident involving Knowles being put on report.

The sending off. Some seem to think that Kibula should not have been sent off.  But when a player attempts to knock another player's head off in the style that Kibula used then he has to be sent off.   I was surprised however when the same happened in the second half  when the Dewsbury player was only yellow carded - lack of consistency there, but there may be further  to come at the disciplinary. Was it the Dewsbury game plan to get Farrell sent or carried off today?  

Then Finn flops onto a tackled player after the referee called held.  Hence another yellow.

The result snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I also understand that there was trouble on the terraces which looks like it was caused by home supporters and that  this might cause further problems for the Rams with the RFL.

Rubbish

9 hours ago, Fishmonger said:

I certainly don't condone any trouble, but I notice that some (not all) Sheffield fans thought it appropriate to goad the home supporters... But I take it you din't notice that? 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

9 hours ago, Fishmonger said:

Farrell gave as good as he got, funny how he wasn't dealt with for retaliation after the high tackle as he'd already had a 10 minute sidelining. I suppose 3 clear punches to the head are acceptable when you've just received a high shot??? 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

RL is an unforgiving game; no-one beforehand seemed to predict a Dews win so from that angle we are no worse than before- but it is once again maddening to have worked hard to win and be undone through a combination of desperation and harsh decisions. Finn’s sin bin was merited and Kibula also - you shouldn’t really tackle by bringing the fist to the head even if it is Farrell on the receiving end. The shortage of numbers told although you have to ask why we could not exploit it when it was in our favour (or was it the case that we never had that advantage given all the sin bin activity, I did lose count at one point)? At least we are still being competitive and from that I take comfort. 

Sheffield fans a total disgrace. You win and you celebrate and have banter but they crossed the line. Banter is one thing goading and taunts especially when lads were initially clapping them for their support.Regarding the match does anybody think the new half back pairing will be a success.

2 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

Sheffield fans a total disgrace. You win and you celebrate and have banter but they crossed the line. Banter is one thing goading and taunts especially when lads were initially clapping them for their support.Regarding the match does anybody think the new half back pairing will be a success.

4 hours ago, muddyfunster said:

I certainly don't condone any trouble, but I notice that some (not all) Sheffield fans thought it appropriate to goad the home supporters... But I take it you din't notice that? 

I didn't see any trouble at all but even if there was its easy to see why.  Things always get heated when you have a ref that loses control..we see it time and again and even normally well behaved speccies shout things they wouldn't normally. 

Fishmonger might well as a neutral seen things a little differently but I still think we were on the harsh end of a few decisions and maintain that Samy wouldn't have been sent off for that challenge had Barry McGuigan not been sent off earlier..These things tend to rattle speccies, especially in games as tight as that yesterday..

On a more positive note thought Gabrial had a great game yesterday.  Feared the worst when Hooley wasn't playing and suspected we'd have Dale at number 1 so was very pleased.  He isn't big but his positional play yesterday was exceptional.  Always seemed to know where the kick was going...

17 hours ago, NickD said:

spot on...Bit off the mark today Im afraid BSJ...In my opinion of course!!!

Read my earlier comment Nick; I wasn't actually at the game so had to make do with the radio commentary. Hence, for once, I am reliant upon the wisdom of others.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

55 minutes ago, NickD said:

I didn't see any trouble at all but even if there was its easy to see why.  Things always get heated when you have a ref that loses control..we see it time and again and even normally well behaved speccies shout things they wouldn't normally. 

Fishmonger might well as a neutral seen things a little differently but I still think we were on the harsh end of a few decisions and maintain that Samy wouldn't have been sent off for that challenge had Barry McGuigan not been sent off earlier..These things tend to rattle speccies, especially in games as tight as that yesterday..

On a more positive note thought Gabrial had a great game yesterday.  Feared the worst when Hooley wasn't playing and suspected we'd have Dale at number 1 so was very pleased.  He isn't big but his positional play yesterday was exceptional.  Always seemed to know where the kick was going...

Fishmonger is a Sheffield supporter, not a neutral.

He offers no comments about their red/yellow cards nor the failure to give Farrell another yellow for retaliation, unlike Annakin.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 minutes ago, Rooney's Ears said:

Sheffield any good?, dirty?, players to watch out for?

Your luck will change, your almost there with the wins against big teams. (hopefully not against us :) )

Sunday, a win for Dews ??????

On Backchat last week one of the guests referred to Toronto under Rowley as having been a "grubby" team, an Australian epiphet for niggly and nasty. This term could so easily have been invented to describe any team coached by the estimable Mark Aston over the years. A couple of their players embrace his philosophy with relish and enthusiasm.

Enjoy.

8 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

I take great exception to being described as "a total disgrace", yes I celebrated the win but I did not goad or taunt anyone.

I responded when a young home fan goaded and taunted us by asking a steward if he was going to do anything about it, as the youth disappeared.

He assured me his fellow stewards on the other side of the ground would deal with him! As they had not witnessed the incident and there did not appear to be any communication between the stewards I have my doubts!

hawk-eye.gif

For those who didn’t get to the match yesterday I thought it well worth the entrance admission; it had plenty of biff baff entertainment throughout, but also spoilt by a whistle happy referee whose decisions st times seemed to be given on a whim. 

In the game I thought both Trouts had good games with the elder of the two being my MoM, not just for his move leading to Sykes’ try, but also his tackling.  Worrincy had another fine one, scoring again and could have had a repeat of the interception one against Swinton, but couldn’t keep hold of the ball. I was surprised with LG’s selection and thought the defence might be weak, but in the end was pleased with the way the lads did defend, until the last five minutes when events conspired against us  

Finn was sin binned for a flop, yet there were other flops in the game which went unpunished (both teams) and Ryder also received a yellow card, which (to my eyes) looked a good tackle, but was deemed head high (I would like to see that again to be sure). I did not see the Kibula incident but Farrell was winding him and others up, from early in the game. Farrell was not penalised in a first half when playing the ball, head first charged his marker. 

Shame the better team lost. It was noticed after the final whistle, when players came to thank supporters, Aaron Brown came and applauded the home fans, along with Glover, who simply wanted to goad his former supporters. 

Shame the better team lost. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

13 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

For those who didn’t get to the match yesterday I thought it well worth the entrance admission; it had plenty of biff baff entertainment throughout, but also spoilt by a whistle happy referee whose decisions st times seemed to be given on a whim. 

In the game I thought both Trouts had good games with the elder of the two being my MoM, not just for his move leading to Sykes’ try, but also his tackling.  Worrincy had another fine one, scoring again and could have had a repeat of the interception one against Swinton, but couldn’t keep hold of the ball. I was surprised with LG’s selection and thought the defence might be weak, but in the end was pleased with the way the lads did defend, until the last five minutes when events conspired against us  

Finn was sin binned for a flop, yet there were other flops in the game which went unpunished (both teams) and Ryder also received a yellow card, which (to my eyes) looked a good tackle, but was deemed head high (I would like to see that again to be sure). I did not see the Kibula incident but Farrell was winding him and others up, from early in the game. Farrell was not penalised in a first half when playing the ball, head first charged his marker. 

Shame the better team lost. It was noticed after the final whistle, when players came to thank supporters, Aaron Brown came and applauded the home fans, along with Glover, who simply wanted to goad his former supporters. 

Shame the better team lost. 

Good post but it was Trout the younger I believe who set up the try. Highlights are on you tube.

9 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look. 

It was young Trout that set the try up for Sykes.

Now the dust as settled and I’ve just about got over another agonising late defeat there’s one or two things that baffle me. Even before we’d kicked off we had supporters saying,have you seen the team today,we’ve no chance. Why is he playing fullback he’s not good enough,he was one of the best players on the field imo. Some fans questioning why we’d signed Finn as he’s not good enough ?

Some even slagging off Lee Greenwood,ffs we’ve played 6 games,I even heard someone say he’s lost the dressing room.

I can’t fault any of the players that played on Sunday,the only thing I can fault is our discipline and that’s what is losing us these tight games. Anyway let’s get behind the coach and players.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, EQUALIZER said:

.Regarding the match does anybody think the new half back pairing will be a success.

Not sure but on what I saw Sunday,, no.  One was trying very hard, didn't see the other until just after HT.  Where is Brown?  Does anyone know?

Although I still think Sykes is our best hope it would be nice to see how it worked with Finn and Brown at half back and Sykes at centre.  So long since we had two centres I have almost forgotten how that works..

Archived