Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

Christchurch Mosque - mass shooting

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

Same here. I really don't understand the fascination with watching these things.

Me neither.

I also don't know why news programmes go into all the actual details of things like rape or child abuse. Report the story, yes, but no actual details required. That needs to be left for any court case. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And there is a lot of this today.

People who stoked, or didn't see much of a problem with, Islamophobia until they woke up this morning.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sayeeda Warsi gets it ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I never know what to say with these things, what I do know though is that it’s a perfect way to see the truth behind others in how they react to it. That Senator for one, and anyone else who acts differently to acts of terror committed by different people. All terrorism deserves to be treated the same. 

I'm always the same; just struck dumb by such events.

47 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I am one of these odd people who can't think of anything worse than watching a video of people being murdered. I won't be looking.

Same here; not my idea of entertainment. Anyone sharing such vile stuff on the likes of my Facebook page get instantly un-friended.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

58 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I am one of these odd people who can't think of anything worse than watching a video of people being murdered. I won't be looking.

There are niche industries where it is unavoidable, but on the whole I'd say don't look for it, don't watch it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Terrible . The world really is a ###### place a lot of the time . And social media etc fuels bile , hatred and bigotry a lot to . The things people say about each other and other groups ,often from those in public life , add to the mix to . Maybe they need to engage brain a bit more

Edited by DavidM

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sayeeda Warsi gets it ...

Although, for something so allegedly mainstreamed, she had to go back 4 years to find 2 examples of it.

According to the shooter's Manifesto, the turning point was the death of Ebba Akerlund, the 11-year-old girl killed by a Truck of Peace in Sweden in 2017 and the subsequent weekly vandalisation of her grave by an illegal immigrant.

In the manifesto he also claims to have been radicalised by Candace Owens but I don't think anyone takes that seriously.

What weapons did these terrorists use and how did they manage to get hold of them in a country where I would assume weapons capable of killing so many people would be illegal?

There are lots of questions of that and other sorts that arise from this tragedy.

In the meantime I think that we should accept that the blame for this atrocity, as with all mass murders of this sort, rests squarely with those who committed it. They clearly have a perverted view of the world and they are fuelled by a perverted ideology.

The only small counter we can make is to refuse to look at any material they may have put out, which I'm glad to say seems to be the unanimous view on this forum.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

In the manifesto he also claims to have been radicalised by Candace Owens but I don't think anyone takes that seriously.

Covered in the link above.

21 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Although, for something so allegedly mainstreamed, she had to go back 4 years to find 2 examples of it.

Pretty much any week's issue of the Spectator or Spiked would have done.

On his FB page he posted 2 videos of the Dalai Lama two days ago. "Dalai Lama causes terrorism!"

26 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

He attacked Sadiq Khan the manifesto , who had mainstream political parties using his religion against him.  There are plenty of examples over the last year she could also used.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

27 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I think that we should accept that the blame for this atrocity, as with all mass murders of this sort, rests squarely with those who committed it.

Obviously the terrorists are ultimately responsible.

But their actions don't exist in a vacuum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CanaBull said:

A lot of people are willing to watch blood and gore from a place of safety.  Until they’ve been up to the elbows in it themselves.

Completely agree - reality is very very different.

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Completely agree - reality is very very different.

There's a very good reason many ex-squaddies end up as pacifist types.  Not all, mind you, some revel in their reputation as a blood & gore trained squaddie.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

55 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

In the meantime I think that we should accept that the blame for this atrocity, as with all mass murders of this sort, rests squarely with those who committed it. They clearly have a perverted view of the world and they are fuelled by a perverted ideology.

Nothing absolves the perpetrators of this terrorist attack of the blame. But if they have a perverted view, and a perverted ideology, it is worth asking who has been doing the perverting. And I agree with those who say it isn't just the extremists in the darker parts of the internet, but the broader mainstreaming of Islamophobia and dog-whistle tactics across well-known media platforms. For the avoidance of doubt, in this country that means people like Boris Johnson, Rod Liddle and Zac Goldsmith.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Nothing absolves the perpetrators of this terrorist attack of the blame. But if they have a perverted view, and a perverted ideology, it is worth asking who has been doing the perverting. And I agree with those who say it isn't just the extremists in the darker parts of the internet, but the broader mainstreaming of Islamophobia and dog-whistle tactics across well-known media platforms. For the avoidance of doubt, in this country that means people like Boris Johnson, Rod Liddle and Zac Goldsmith.

Does the same hold true for Islamic terrorists or is that different? Like I’ve mentioned in here before, people have inconsistent positions on terrorism depending on who is doing it. Whether or not it gets made political also depends on who is doing it

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Does the same hold true for Islamic terrorists or is that different? Like I’ve mentioned in here before, people have inconsistent positions on terrorism depending on who is doing it. Whether or not it gets made political also depends on who is doing it

Of course it does. 

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Does the same hold true for Islamic terrorists or is that different?

Yes. The same holds for Islamic terrorists.

It's why you'll find consistent support on here from most of the bleeding heart liberals for PREVENT-like programmes, for community interventions and for effective policing.

What you'll also find, consistently, is certain people massively downplaying the risk that white right-wing would-be terrorists pose.

At least that bit should end today.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. The same holds for Islamic terrorists.

It's why you'll find consistent support on here from most of the bleeding heart liberals for PREVENT-like programmes, for community interventions and for effective policing.

What you'll also find, consistently, is certain people massively downplaying the risk that white right-wing would-be terrorists pose.

At least that bit should end today.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will.

• Sad 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

52 minutes ago, ckn said:

Not all, mind you, some revel in their reputation as a blood & gore trained squaddie.

Usually RLC types.

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

So you're suggesting that the perpetrators of this horror in Christchurch might not have committed this crime if they hadn't read articles by the three people you mention?

To ask the question reveals how absurd the notion is.

And who would you equally blame for terrorist incidents carried out by Islamists?

And on a different level, what about the bloke who assaulted a football player on the field in a recent match. What was the cause of his perverted action? Is there some football writer somewhere who should share the blame because of something he wrote that this idiot might have seen as a justification for attacking an opposition player?

To play the blame game in this way is corrosive of free speech and, more importantly, the notion of free will.

We are all responsible individually for how we behave and we shouldn't use murderous incidents to try and close down free speech. To politicise incidents in this way is deeply disrespectful to the victims of this massacre.

You would be sensible to try to resist labelling people as extremists or using other derogatory terms just because they happen to have a viewpoint that you don't share.

• Like 1