Change of rules

Does anyone think the rfl will change the rules should Leeds or Wigan finish bottom even as late as the last month of the season. Promoting one team but no relegation with the excuse of expanding super greed

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

10 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Does anyone think the rfl will change the rules should Leeds or Wigan finish bottom even as late as the last month of the season. Promoting one team but no relegation with the excuse of expanding super greed

Yes?

If such a thing did happen you'd probably see some form of licensing return. Which will probably happen regardless.

SL now run the comp, so RFL won't be changing anything.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

well would be a loss if either went down. So I would expect some effort to change.

Strategically having such a low salary cap and relegation isn't the best of idea's. If the salary cap is meant to work so that all clubs including the weakest financial are able to compete equally on the field then strategically are liable to lose your financially strong clubs. They can not spend out of difficulties as in a sport where salary cap is higher than the financial weak could afford to or no cap.

It may be what people want but strategically for the sport it don't make sense. Different if all clubs had equal financial strength.

Not saying should change rules or change salary cap but's it is a consequence that you can lose your financial strongest teams from SL. That don't strategically do the overall strength and outlook for the sport any good.

34 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Well, if Toronto or Toulouse joined the current top league with no relegation I would be happy... whatever the motive.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I can't see SL allowing either to be relegated - even if it's controversial I think we'll see Leeds and Wigan safeguarded.

As fun as bragging rights would be for rival fans it's potentially very harmful for the game to have a big club that's financially sound drop into the lower divisions.   Ask me again if it happens though, and I'll probably spend the off-season moaning about how lucky either club should count themselves and that I'll never let them forget it ?

FWIW I actually think both clubs will get it together - Wigan will be mid to top half of table, and Leeds above Hudds.   ATM I'd say despite London's 3 wins the relegation battle will be between them and Hudds.

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Yes. And as ugly as it would look, the pros probably outweigh the cons of doing it. British rugby league just isn't strong enough to risk one of those two clubs entering a downward spiral. They aren't replaceable on a "like-for-like" basis. The sport would just have less money coming in. 

1. Wigan make big signings mid season 

2. Signings help them avoid relegation

3. Wigan breach salary cap

4. Wigan apologise for error and take points deduction in 2020

I think that’s how it works at Wigan anyway. 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

41 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

1. Wigan make big signings mid season 

2. Signings help them avoid relegation

3. Wigan breach salary cap

4. Wigan apologise for error and take points deduction in 2020

I think that’s how it works at Wigan anyway. 

That's how it worked when they signed Fielden.

rldfsignature.jpg

If we get the perfect storm and one of the two end up in 12th but don't get relegated then I don't see the point of pretending we're using a level playing field. IMO If you finish bottom you go down. No exemptions. Simple as. Those were the rules when the season kicked off unless they've secretly changed in the meantime. Are we saying some clubs are more valuable than others at a certain moment in time? Are we ring fencing teams? If so we may as well let the world know now who they are and stop wasting everyone's time.

rldfsignature.jpg

21 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

As a Wigan fan I wouldn't want the rules to change, it would feel horrible if we went down but we would just have to accept it and rebuild.

Noble of you but it wouldn’t be great for the game at this present time... maybe you should save relegation for a few years ahead when the game has secured its future! 

8 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Noble of you but it wouldn’t be great for the game at this present time... maybe you should save relegation for a few years ahead when the game has secured its future! 

Mind you I'd prefer the top flight to be fourteen clubs who play each other twice.

5 hours ago, DEANO said:

No!!!!! stop been paranoid 

38 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

So as some have decided certain teams should be exempt from relegation which teams are so much a waste of space they can be relegated? This should be interesting.

well for me the issue is about having a higher salary cap, not one to suit the weakest. If the this was the case and the clubs spent to have stronger squads and they still ended in bottom position then they get relegated as the rules stand - then fine.

The problem as I see it is the salary cap is low to enable all clubs to equally compete. That is accepting the consequence that the strongest financially are as liable as the weakest, give or take.

Of course enabling the weakest to compete with the strongest financial may be what some want. For me its strategic madness. Then again the sport has never been very strategic in its approach anyway.

If for example over the next couple of years two of the strongest or some may perceive prestigious clubs go down not sure how Sky will think about the next contract.

44 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Mind you I'd prefer the top flight to be fourteen clubs who play each other twice.

Well that should not happen this year,  remember the vote in October by all member clubs, it was based on one up one down to alter the system from the 8's, changing it to suit anyone would be sheer hypocrisy I dont give a flying one whoever it is.

If they choose to do that then do it NOW before we know who it will benefit. To wait to the end of the season and then change the rules to benefit one specific club smacks of favouritism and calls into question the entire integrity of the competition.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

well for me the issue is about having a higher salary cap, not one to suit the weakest. If the this was the case and the clubs spent to have stronger squads and they still ended in bottom position then they get relegated as the rules stand - then fine.

The problem as I see it is the salary cap is low to enable all clubs to equally compete. That is accepting the consequence that the strongest financially are as liable as the weakest, give or take.

Of course enabling the weakest to compete with the strongest financial may be what some want. For me its strategic madness. Then again the sport has never been very strategic in its approach anyway.

If for example over the next couple of years two of the strongest or some may perceive prestigious clubs go down not sure how Sky will think about the next contract.

Lol. Do we not always have the usual suspects at the top and bottom 

34 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

If they choose to do that then do it NOW before we know who it will benefit. To wait to the end of the season and then change the rules to benefit one specific club smacks of favouritism and calls into question the entire integrity of the competition.

Another lol. It happened at the end of last season in the championship/championship 1

If either of Wigan and Leeds got relegated it would be the fault of those employed to source the players and those to guide them i.e. the coaches, and most probably those who put those people into their positions.

It is no different to last year at Leigh Centurions, Mr Beaumont entrusted Keiron Cunningham to spend 1.67million on the playing roster and trusted Neil Jukes to coach and guide the players, two things he got drastically wrong, his intentions were honorable.

4 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I agree that who ever goes down should go down.  But it's academic because after the following season they will change and it will bring in licencing and a new larger SKY package.  The moot point is will there be an increase in teams? And allied to that an increase in the cap. 

I am coming to the idea that the league should increase to 14 even if some are likely to be too weak. 26 games is enough. A bit more money from sky and the better off clubs can buy in star players... and the game needs them.

And I am a long time opponent to promotion and relegation.

Archived