The 6 Nations hype...

Has just made me long for more international rugby league.

Despite the fact that I watched 15 minutes of the Italy vs France game and was thoroughly bored, they’ve definitely, somehow, got everything else about the tournament spot on.

An RL fan can only wish and hope...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish RL could have something similar but it never will. RL needs to build on what it does well, not having a cheap imitation which simply serves to feed the detractors.

At the moment though RL does not appear to have the administrators, money, ideas or energy to do anything other than go around in ever decreasing circles. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

I wish RL could have something similar but it never will. RL needs to build on what it does well, not having a cheap imitation which simply serves to feed the detractors.

At the moment though RL does not appear to have the administrators, money, ideas or energy to do anything other than go around in ever decreasing circles. 

A sad state of affairs really.

I’ll get the blackboard out and start planning... 

The way the game is run presently,we can only dream of having a six Nations type of competition. There isn't enough countries playing the game to do it. All we've got is our world cup really. I know people who don't watch rugby at all but they do watch the Six Nations so it does have a broad appeal. Our game seems to be too tribal. Years of bad management in the game have done damage, constantly faffing around with rules etc really gets people's backs up then they walk away. I like both codes and have played both,rugby league can only dream of having there own competition in the same vein. Well that's my view anyway.

I came on here with an intention to just hit the button that consigned this thread to purgatory-by-monotonous-drivel in the Cross-Code forum.  Instead, I see how it's gone and I see the positive intent in it.

On the sole condition that this thread stays as what RUGBY LEAGUE can learn from UNION'S Six Nations then it stays.  The first derogatory post towards union and it's gone and I'll let you, the person who did the deed, bear all the blame for when people complain it's been binned to purgatory.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I think the only way we could have something similar is by condensing what we have down. If the post season is going to be WC, Southern Hemisphere opposition, then European or even NA opposition must be Pre/Mid Season.

For me a nations league style system, with tri nations, could work.

I.E.

England, France, Wales.

Scotland, Ireland, Italy (or even a Jamaica)

Continue the tiers down with whoever wants to be involved and have promotion and relegation. Seeing as each tier is only 3 teams there's only need to find 3 weekends to guarantee every team at least 2 competitive fixtures with SL clubs releasing players. Could be increased to 4 teams per group to avoid a rest week for 1 team.

The way the 6 nations gets hype is more than just nationalism and rivalry. They take the whole thing seriously. Despite knowing they'll likely beat Italy with our u15s, the RFU still play the match at Twickenham. In League we play France at Leigh on a Wednesday night...

I think the biggest thing RL can learn from RU’s Six Nations is that there’s an advantage to sticking with a tried and tested format and calendar event.

Even non rugby fans know that it is on, on a yearly basis and this surely helps it grow.

Imagine being a non hardcore RL casual and trying to follow our international scene.

It is about selling an event and a patriotic feeling, more than the actual matches. Bung in plenty of stirring music and gruff theatrical voices in blanket trailers all over the host TV/radio channels, and people feel like they ought to care, despite not following the sport week by week. Wimbledon does the same in Tennis, where millions watch it avidly every year, but don't really give a damn about the rest of the Grand Slams unless a Brit's doing well.

If we could do that even half as well, then our actual on-field product will shine even brighter. Getting people to attend/tune in in the first place is the hard part. When they do, social media feedback from newbies is almost always positive.

There is talk every few years of P&R from the Six Nations, which would possibly bring in a more competitive new nation than Italy. On the other hand, the possibility of losing a home nation (let's face it, we're most likely talking about Scotland) means that is a risk they probably won't take. This means sticking with a less competitive or exciting, but more marketable model. That's pragmatism.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the biggest thing RL can learn from RU’s Six Nations is that there’s an advantage to sticking with a tried and tested format and calendar event.

Even non rugby fans know that it is on, on a yearly basis and this surely helps it grow.

Imagine being a non hardcore RL casual and trying to follow our international scene.

Yes.

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Agree. Tbh if we played Oz every other year for the ashes that would appeal more to fans than making it up as we go along. 

Even beating  France by 30pts in France on Bastille day would sell. 

6N being annual and fixed is its great strength. 

International is the pinnacle in Union in League it’s not.  If your getting £20k a test like England and 10 tests a year you have a very good 2nd salary. Stretch it over a career and it’s potentially millions.

The 6Ns is as much to do with the sheer length of time it's been going on for as much as anything else much like Wimbledon, FA Cup etc. It's got its place in the 'sporting calendar'. You can't really imitate it because it simply takes decades. Add in the fact that it involves nations who have all fought wars against each other and you get the patriotic angle as well. I doubt even a soccer 6Ns would surpass it.

The one thing Rugby League can learn from the Six Nations is the one thing it should have done all the time. Put the international game first in all thoughts, plans and actions and realise the benefits.

Rugby League has always been a sport dominated by the clubs though. Ironically the clubs will benefit from a strong international scene but I can't see the owners, coaches and many of the fans making the sacrifices necessary to support it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, JCXV said:

The 6Ns is as much to do with the sheer length of time it's been going on for as much as anything else much like Wimbledon, FA Cup etc. It's got its place in the 'sporting calendar'. You can't really imitate it because it simply takes decades. Add in the fact that it involves nations who have all fought wars against each other and you get the patriotic angle as well. I doubt even a soccer 6Ns would surpass it.

I think they’re all fair points, but if RL could just stick to an established international calendar it would help a lot I believe to plant the international game in the nation’s sporting psyche.

It doesn’t necessarily mean copying the 6N format in itself.

5 minutes ago, JCXV said:

Rugby League doesn't need to initate the Six Nations... it could use it's own international scene with it's own huge history such as Kangaroo tours and ashes series to much greater effect.

We just need to do whatever ot takes as sport to make it happen. Until we are prepared to do these things then any comparison to events like the Six Nations is just empty talk.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, scotchy1 said:

A soccer 6 nations would dwarf it in its first year. Football is in a world of its own

I agree football is in a world of its own but if Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy played a game to the same format as the 6Ns then I don't think it would dwarf what the 6Ns currently is. 

2 minutes ago, JCXV said:

I agree football is in a world of its own but if Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy played a game to the same format as the 6Ns then I don't think it would dwarf what the 6Ns currently is. 

The BBC and ITV hype machines would go into overdrive. Even more so than they currently do for union.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It didn’t fail, it’s just that England felt the games were no longer good preparation for competing in major tournaments.

I think policing had become a pain too.

True, but the same would be true in RL, England would be too strong.

52 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

You decided not to heed ckn's advice then?

I was actually doing some writing at the time on the laptop and it was on in the background, I still have hope that there might be the odd game that catches you by surprise - Japan South Africa in the '15 union world cup and seeing tems like Argentina at the same comp basically play 15 a side league, but also in case I ever need to tug the boots back on and be up to date with the latest laws ...:biggrin:

My friends and family, many of whom who don’t even like sport, watch the 6 Nations religiously. It’s about national pride. They don’t care about how long a scrum takes to form or the fact that the kicker can take an eternity to kick at goal. They cheer their country on and enjoy the spectacle for what it is. 

I imagine Wales could have sold another 200,000 tickets if the stadium capacity would allow it. 

When you compare that to the sorry spectacle of a few thousand hardy souls who turned up to see England v France last autumn or even the empty seats at Anfield for England v New Zealand, it paints a pretty pathetic picture of where we’re at. 

Theres no easy answers unfortunately. We’re deep in a tunnel and there’s very few signs of light. 

Archived