Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Bizarre.

Wigan has to respond to this situation now, no more silence on the matter.

Wigan won’t come out and say anything. We never do. It’s been like this ever since Lenaghan took over. The clubs stance appears to be don’t say anything at all or deny everything until it eventually just happens. It’s happening at the moment with Williams move to the NRL.

Patwigaw

Just now, 7723 said:

Wigan won’t come out and say anything. We never do. It’s been like this ever since Lenaghan took over. The clubs stance appears to be don’t say anything at all or deny everything until it eventually just happens. It’s happening at the moment with Williams move to the NRL.

Well if they don’t then the assumption is Edwards isn’t coming.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Well if they don’t then the assumption is Edwards isn’t coming.

I think it would be fair enough to assume Edwards will not be at Wigan next year. 

Patwigaw

Either Edwards or another top class coach will be in charge next year. When our coaching spot becomes available there is always a long queue to take it. 

I am happy with the way Lenaghan is running the club. I have enjoyed either winning something or playing in a final every year this decade. It is great being champions and a privilege to play in the WCC. if it takes the team a few more weeks to de Wane themselves, so be it, we have a great squad and brilliant youngsters. Rads and Lenaghan have earned themselves time to find the right coach. Maybe Edwards, maybe not, but we as a town and a club have so much going for us we will be reet. 

Noboby seems to want to say it though. But I think it needs saying he's behaving like a prize prat and the Warriors need to consider that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Maybe Edwards, maybe not, but we as a town and a club have so much going for us we will be reet. 

I honestly think that Edwards isn't looking that committed, and even if he did come for just a couple of seasons would probably make less of an impact than a top current RL coach.   I said on another thread that if Lenagan wants a style of rugby different from Wane he could do worse than Chester, Watson or even Powell ( ? ).

On a related how many of that all conquering Wigan side have proven real plonkers after their playing career was over?

Maybe I'm putting too many things together there that are not joined in any way though.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

On a related how many of that all conquering Wigan side have proven real plonkers after their playing career was over?

I think Edwards is far from a plonker, but I do feel that the nostalgic love-in from the Wigan club for Edwards is not necessarily replicated...   He likely just wants the best paid contract rather than a risky sentimental move, and there's nothing wrong with that of course.

This quote is interesting from the Beeb:

He agreed a deal with Wigan in August 2018, but said the Super League club never produced a contract for him to sign.

"I agreed with Wigan and thought we would sign a contract," he said.

"But then Wigan said, 'it's OK, we'll sign one later', and I thought that was unusual. And that was nine months ago."

Has the below-par admin assistant from the salary cap fiasco moved from the Accounts Dept. to the HR Dept...? ?

Edwards was an average player at best, yes great support player but he was lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the greatest talents ever seen in the game, hes an unproven coach in rl and has no magic wand to coach a team that is a shadow of former glories , get a good aussie coach and leave him in yawnion

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

39 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I honestly think that Edwards isn't looking that committed, and even if he did come for just a couple of seasons would probably make less of an impact than a top current RL coach.   I said on another thread that if Lenagan wants a style of rugby different from Wane he could do worse than Chester, Watson or even Powell ( ? ).

Or Maguire, who still has a house in the town. Worrying about who might coach Wigan is the most first world of problems. 

The key decision we made was during the 2017 season when we losing every week, and playing horrible rugby. Wane had been with us a long time, and the pressure of coaching us at a dreadful time for him was taking its toll. Once the decision was made, we went on to be champions again, showing how well the squad had been put together and the benefits of a brilliant junior set up. Those things are fundamental to running the club successfully, and remain in place. 

I couldn’t care less whether Edwards is our coach next year, or not, as if it isn’t him it will be another excellent coach. Lenaghan got shut of Noble and replaced him with Maguire. When Maguire walked, he replaced him (v controversially at the time) with Wane, and when Wane was struggling he decided to get rid of him. All of these have been sensible decisions. As for Edwards, I would support him if he wants the job, but I would support any coach we decide to run with, including Lam once the team have got Wane’s pre programming out of their system. If Lenaghan decided to wait and see, that is a perfectly rational stance to take, we have a long time work out what to do. 

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Edwards was an average player at best, yes great support player but he was lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the greatest talents ever seen in the game, hes an unproven coach in rl and has no magic wand to coach a team that is a shadow of former glories , get a good aussie coach and leave him in yawnion

I'm not so sure about your assessment of him as a player but I think for his sake and Wigan's he might be better staying where he is.

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Worrying about who might coach Wigan is the most first world of problems. 

It's a TGG forum more or less everything we scrutinise on here is a first world problem.?

Mind you considering some of the responses and insults banded around you'd think that's all we discuss.

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Or Maguire, who still has a house in the town

I honestly expected Maguire to be announced as the next Wigan coach when he didn't immediately get another club contract in the NRL.   I half-expected him to join Warrington in 2018 after Smith but it seems we either preferred Price in the interview or Maguire wanted to stay in Oz.   I know he was on massive money at Souths but it's nothing that Warrington's (or Wigan's) benefactors couldn't match if they thought him the best man for the job.

Maybe there's a reason he's not come back to these shores, and maybe Edwards was actually the back-up plan?

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm not so sure about your assessment of him as a player but I think for his sake and Wigan's he might be better staying where he is.

he was always there in support but apart from that how good was he? my nan could have scored tries in that wigan set up

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

he was always there in support but apart from that how good was he? my nan could have scored tries in that wigan set up

Always makes me laugh when people say that anyone could have played well in that star studded Wigan team.

What you don't mention is how did Edwards force his way into that star studded Wigan team and make 467 appearances.  Did Wigan assemble one of the best teams in modern Rugby League history and leave one place open for an average player to prove that anyone could play in it?

Edwards was a fantastic rugby player.  Yes, he was a good support player yes (as was Garry Schofield and Terry Lamb and others) but that doesn't make the rest of his game poor.

I don't think he will be back in League next year but that shouldn't effect his legacy as a player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe if the person who has placed himself as the leader of Super League wound his ego in and concentrated on the shambles that his is own club eg, declining attendences, lack of strategy regards coaching position, poor player recruitment, administration errors etc then things may improve or is that the level of his knowledge of the game on show?

The onus is now very much on Wigan to clarify the situation. Rugby League in the U.K. Is absolutely bloody awful when it comes to communication and transparency. 

I always thought the rumours if Edwards no longer being keen were more to do with the playing roster he'd inherit (or lack of one), but maybe it's the club who are playing up. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I think Wigan might have dodged a bullet here. Getting Wane back would be a regressive step but then again so would bringing Edwards back, as his heart/head is obviously with the union shilling.

I think the crust munchers will already be scouting around for a new coach. Good luck to them, their fans deserve better than this cloak and dagger stuff.

I don't see why Adrian Lam shouldn't be given a longer contract, but then again I'm just watching from afar.  There didn't seem anything wrong with the team spirit on Friday.

13 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I don't see why Adrian Lam shouldn't be given a longer contract, but then again I'm just watching from afar.  There didn't seem anything wrong with the team spirit on Friday.

Agreed.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived