Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

23 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

The onus is now very much on Wigan to clarify the situation. Rugby League in the U.K. Is absolutely bloody awful when it comes to communication and transparency. 

I always thought the rumours if Edwards no longer being keen were more to do with the playing roster he'd inherit (or lack of one), but maybe it's the club who are playing up. 

I think Edwards has clarified it himself. When he asked if there was a contract "But then Wigan said, 'it's okay, we'll sign one later', and I thought that was unusual. That was nine months ago.”

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Maybe if the person who has placed himself as the leader of Super League wound his ego in and concentrated on the shambles that his is own club eg, declining attendences, lack of strategy regards coaching position, poor player recruitment, administration errors etc then things may improve or is that the level of his knowledge of the game on show?

Last night I had a dream we were champions. Maybe his track record suggests he knows what he’s doing, what with all those triumphs and all. 

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

The cynic in me thinks you say that with a sly grin and a hidden agenda ?

No, not at all mate, honestly. I admire Wigan, they are our sport's top club; but at the same time it's great to beat them.

We'll see over time how Lam goes but in terms of RL as an entertainment business he cannot, under any circumstances, be worse than Wane.

37 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think Edwards has clarified it himself. When he asked if there was a contract "But then Wigan said, 'it's okay, we'll sign one later', and I thought that was unusual. That was nine months ago.”

Whilst I agree Wigan shouldn’t announce something without it being signed, I think you can also read Edwards’ statement as: “I told them how much I want paying nine months ago and they’ve not put that figure on the contract yet”... ?

I assume Wigan can afford him but whether they value him quite as highly as he does is another thing...   he’s quite entitled to name his price of course - who wouldn’t if they guarantee a long-term multi-million pound deal in RU?

From the departure lounge here, all I can say is I am surprised in that Edwards is on record as saying he accepted the Wales RU job rather than an offer from England RU on the basis of a handshake between him and Warren Gatland and that once having verbally agreed on a deal he would not go back on his word as a man.

Obviously the same does not appear to apply with IFL and Wigan. Leaving the Wiganers in the lurch...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

We'll see over time how Lam goes but in terms of RL as an entertainment business he cannot, under any circumstances, be worse than Wane.

Whilst I have never been a fan of Wane’s style and certainly his past tactics, I have to admit through gritted teeth that I would take those two titles and two cup wins over a 60 year wait.   Maybe after the second title I would prefer some entertainment again ? 

Ask me when we get our second SL title and I’ll be able to answer with a more open mind ?

18 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

He and Gatland been tapped up by England??

There's a fairly strong rumour that Gatland is being lined up to replace Eddie Jones next year. I'm not sure Gatland would do it but money talks.

45 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Obviously the same does not appear to apply with IFL and Wigan. Leaving the Wiganers in the lurch...

For nine months though? Seems more like Wigan have left him in the lurch than the other way round

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I honestly expected Maguire to be announced as the next Wigan coach when he didn't immediately get another club contract in the NRL.   I half-expected him to join Warrington in 2018 after Smith but it seems we either preferred Price in the interview or Maguire wanted to stay in Oz.   I know he was on massive money at Souths but it's nothing that Warrington's (or Wigan's) benefactors couldn't match if they thought him the best man for the job.

Maybe there's a reason he's not come back to these shores, and maybe Edwards was actually the back-up plan?

One look at the present squad and Lenaghan’s policy of moving on the teams best players every year would stop McGuire considering a return to Wigan.

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Either Edwards or another top class coach will be in charge next year. When our coaching spot becomes available there is always a long queue to take it. 

I am happy with the way Lenaghan is running the club. I have enjoyed either winning something or playing in a final every year this decade. It is great being champions and a privilege to play in the WCC. if it takes the team a few more weeks to de Wane themselves, so be it, we have a great squad and brilliant youngsters. Rads and Lenaghan have earned themselves time to find the right coach. Maybe Edwards, maybe not, but we as a town and a club have so much going for us we will be reet. 

Yes.   Wane deciding leave was a surprise so it would be difficult to replace him at the drop of a hat, not least because likely replacements would have contracts.

Speculation is cheap, not least from people who are not involved and possibly prejudiced. 

I am as worried about injuries as anything else.  And not just about Wigan. 

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

One look at the present squad and Lenaghan’s policy of moving on the teams best players every year would stop McGuire considering a return to Wigan.

Ha ha. You will be on comic relief next year. Mind you that's not saying much.

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

From the departure lounge here, all I can say is I am surprised in that Edwards is on record as saying he accepted the Wales RU job rather than an offer from England RU on the basis of a handshake between him and Warren Gatland and that once having verbally agreed on a deal he would not go back on his word as a man.

I don’t think either party looks good here. Edwards has a massive ego and clearly on the back of the Grand Slam he’s now thinking he can get a better deal. That is fair enough as Wigan are incompetent enough not to have produced a contract. 

But on the other hand, they probably thought a club legend wouldn’t go back on their word but it seems that Edwards has no loyalty to Wigan

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t think either party looks good here. Edwards has a massive ego and clearly on the back of the Grand Slam he’s now thinking he can get a better deal. That is fair enough as Wigan are incompetent enough not to have produced a contract. 

But on the other hand, they probably thought a club legend wouldn’t go back on their word but it seems that Edwards has no loyalty to Wigan

I can't agree with this. If you agree to take up a new position and agree terms and then 9 months later your potential new employer hasn't produced a contract for you to sign, you start looking for other options.

I would have started looking after a month.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can't agree with this. If you agree to take up a new position and agree terms and then 9 months later your potential new employer hasn't produced a contract for you to sign, you start looking for other options.

I would have started looking after a month. 

I get where you're coming from, but it all depends on whether you consider it 'just a job'.

It was public knowledge that Edwards was to come ofr 2020 and if it was agreed in principle, I would expect to abide by that, particularly if the club meant so much to him. If he was bothered about not having received a contract during that period, he should have asked. It doesn't sit well with me

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I get where you're coming from, but it all depends on whether you consider it 'just a job'.

It was public knowledge that Edwards was to come ofr 2020 and if it was agreed in principle, I would expect to abide by that, particularly if the club meant so much to him. If he was bothered about not having received a contract during that period, he should have asked. It doesn't sit well with me

Who managed the message that he was 'coming home' in 2020? Maybe that was premature?

Wigan have released a very revealing and informative statement:

Wigan Warriors are aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements.

Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun’s comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-03-18-club-statement-shaun-edwards

Archived