Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

Well, Wigan's own website said that Edwards signed a three-year contract

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018-08-08-edwards-and-lam-to-return-to-wigan

Direct quote

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that Shaun Edwards OBE will return to the Club as Head Coach for the 2020 season after signing a three-year contract.

So if he did actually sign a contract, then any don't Wigan simply produce it?

Either Edwards or Wigan are telling porkies here...

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a poor situation all round - one of Wigan or Edwards is lying and neither is good. As far as I'm concerned if Edwards had signed a contract, Wigan lose nothing by saying so in a statement now, the fact they haven't speaks volumes.

I suspect he never signed a contract because he did what he always did as a player - shake hands on a new deal (which I think he did every year by the way).

A legend of the game because of his inspirational drive to make himself as good as he can be, not because of any particular loyalty I would have thought. Somethings not right here, with one of the parties having changed their minds, otherwise this would be a non issue.

From the Guardian last August:

Edwards will use his spare time away from his Wales commitments to observe Wigan from afar before taking charge. “I will try to be involved. I’m hoping to do some consultancy work with Ospreys outside of my international commitments, although when the internationals are on it’s absolutely full-on – you’re with Wales full-time.

“But later in the weeks outside of that, I’ll be driving up to Wigan and watching training. I won’t be doing any coaching, though, it will be all over to Adrian. We will speak on the phone regularly but he’s the boss during his period in charge.”

So are we to deduce from all this that there was actually a gentleman's handshake on a salary and duration? And that having observed from afar what is going on at Wigan he has decided it is no longer for him?

A rum old do, that's for sure.

This is a quote from Edwards today;

‘I agreed with Wigan and thought we would sign a contract,’ Edwards added.

‘But then Wigan said, “it's OK, we'll sign one later” and I thought that was unusual. And that was nine months ago. I never signed a contract.

‘I'll consider all offers, league, union. All I can say is that I haven't signed anything with anybody.’

8 minutes ago, JCXV said:

‘But then Wigan said, “it's OK, we'll sign one later” and I thought that was unusual. And that was nine months ago. I never signed a contract.

‘I'll consider all offers, league, union. All I can say is that I haven't signed anything with anybody.’

Its not from today. That is just the same quote as was linked to yesterday in the opening post, hence this thread.

23 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Oopsie...

That bloody admin assistant.   Salary Caps, Contracts and now Press Releases.   You just can't give that much workload to a kid on two weeks' work experience placement from the local high school ☺️ 

1 hour ago, Mushy said:

I suspect he never signed a contract because he did what he always did as a player - shake hands on a new deal (which I think he did every year by the way).

That just raises more questions about ways to get around the salary cap ?

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Looks like Shaun isn't answering his phone, what an utter shambles.

Whatever the reasons that both parties arrived at this point with all this uncertainty, I do feel that if Edwards isn't quite committed to Wigan in the way that club needs him to be then the best option is to draw a line under it all and make a fresh start with someone else.   It's a bit embarrassing but s*** happens they need to look to the future.  

Having a slightly strained relationship with the most important member of your staff before he even arrives isn't going to help matters at all.   I'd be tempted to say 'Thanks Shaun, good luck with RU and you're welcome to pop in for a cuppa next time you're in town"...

So he (apparently) has a contract with Wigan, but also has an agreement with Wasps, but only if he doesn't get offered the England RU job?

Would love to listen in on the telephone conversation with Wigan and Shaun Edwards, should it ever take place.

Does he have management? surely all this can be cleared up with one phone call to them.

suspect.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 hours ago, JCXV said:

No it's not. Stop making things up

Edwards is playing Wigan like a fiddle. Bad form, not that he cares with his massive ego.

Am surprised Wasps have come in with a lucrative offer, given their financial woes. Now if they went into admin halfway through his agreement, that would be karma :)

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Edwards is playing Wigan like a fiddle. Bad form, not that he cares with his massive ego.

Am surprised Wasps have come in with a lucrative offer, given their financial woes. Now if they went into admin halfway through his agreement, that would be karma :)

I did wonder that about Wasps.

do we really need an ru coach who has never even proved himself as a coach at amateur level? trading on ego and the past as a player, he went to the darkside, stay there for mine, isn't his son an ru player too? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Surely both parties are in the wrong and there is more to this than meets the eye?

I was looking forward to Shaun Edwards taking charge next season but even if if he still ends up going to Wigan wouldn't the relationship between Lenagan and Edwards be soured by this episode?

If he doesn't come to Wigan what should the contingency plan be? Shaun Wane and a decent attacking coach as assistant?

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

do we really need an ru coach who has never even proved himself as a coach at amateur level? trading on ego and the past as a player, he went to the darkside, stay there for mine, isn't his son an ru player too? 

He's a very good coach. I'd have thought that was more important than what his son does. 

1 minute ago, JCXV said:

He's a very good coach. I'd have thought that was more important than what his son does. 

a very good coach in ru not rl

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived