Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

19 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I mentioned this before on other threads but I once read an interview with Martin O'Neil, his theory was that great players often didn't make great coaches because, having great natural talent they didn't need to work or think about the game as hard as others. Players like himself had to really think about what they needed to do and work hard on it to be successful this then helped them become better coaches.

This theory supports why props like Wane and McDermott have been successful and more naturally gifted players like Gregory and Schofield were less so. While Edwards can polarise opinion I think all but the meanest would admit that Edwards thought about and worked extremely hard at his game, this would have enhanced his chances of becoming a very good Rugby League coach.

Yes I agree and that is what I was getting at, perhaps badly! I do think ego comes into it a little too and great players often have this in abundance and in the familiar RL environment this tends to cause issues. Funnily enough though when ex RL players go to Union to coach they seem to lose this somewhat, maybe them being in a different sport, having to prove themselves and of course the money means they can put the ego to one side.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Yes you were champions last season any on previous occasions but it all starts again and on present showing as stated things aren't looking too good. There's a recent precedent for this with another SL chairman who wanted to cut the rest adrift and who's ego clouded good decision making, sadly things didn't turn out too well for that club further down the line, so I would be a little concerned if I was a Wigan fan?

Feel free to be as concerned as you like. As a season ticket holder, and shareholder, I have absolutely no concerns about the club. The club is superbly structured and run, drawing on great clubs and  schools and investing in a junior production which is about as good as it gets. I would be envious if I was not a Wigan fan ?

There are 2 possibly outcomes to this particular debate - we either have Shaun Edwards as our coach, or we have another superb coach. Unless you can think of another outcome, then either looks fine to me. 

As to where this ends up, I have no idea what sort of person Shaun Edwards is now. He has spent a long time around the v——-, though so that must drag anyone down. He was a determined player, and clearly knew the game inside out, but I would be more confident if we went with someone with NRL experience. Indeed, give it a few more weeks for him to de Wane the team, and I reckon Lam will do a very good job. The best coaches in rugby in the world are in the NRL, and that is the best place to look for new coaches.

In his time, Lenaghan was central to appointing McDermott in London, and Maguire and Wane at Wigan. He knows what he is doing. 

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know how you can say Edwards would never have made it as a coach. There is no evidence at all to back this up.

read what I said, maybe I didn't word it as well but I thought it was pretty clear in that I said it wasn't based on Edwards himself but the way RL is, it  has a propensity to cane coaches, especially overly high expectations of local lads and not giving them enough time.  Whereas in union he has had a lot of time to develop and be an understudy to a senior coach in a professional environment, something that RL far too often isn't at coaching level.

The evidence -which is what has come to pass with regards his career shows us that either he didn't think he could make it as a coach at the time, simply didn't want to coach or nobody wanted him, ergo he was no loss to rugby league in coaching terms, which was my counter to the 'rugby league's loss, union's gain' claim. ATEOTD he still has not been in charge of even a lower league club team so he has no pedigree in that sense, only as a departmental coach, there's a massive jump from Chef de Partie to Head Chef!

IF he was so keen to be a club coach in his own right then he's not showing any real desire for it in league, otherwise he would have made a commitment already. Personally I think he'd be dumb to leave union to join Wigan or any league club as senior coach, in fact a horrible career move as he'd be on a hiding to nothing.

20 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

read what I said, maybe I didn't word it as well but I thought it was pretty clear in that I said it wasn't based on Edwards himself but the way RL is, it  has a propensity to cane coaches, especially overly high expectations of local lads and not giving them enough time.  Whereas in union he has had a lot of time to develop and be an understudy to a senior coach in a professional environment, something that RL far too often isn't at coaching level.

The evidence -which is what has come to pass with regards his career shows us that either he didn't think he could make it as a coach at the time, simply didn't want to coach or nobody wanted him, ergo he was no loss to rugby league in coaching terms, which was my counter to the 'rugby league's loss, union's gain' claim. ATEOTD he still has not been in charge of even a lower league club team so he has no pedigree in that sense, only as a departmental coach, there's a massive jump from Chef de Partie to Head Chef!

IF he was so keen to be a club coach in his own right then he's not showing any real desire for it in league, otherwise he would have made a commitment already. Personally I think he'd be dumb to leave union to join Wigan or any league club as senior coach, in fact a horrible career move as he'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Ok, that's fair enough.  I guess I jumped too heavily on the 'wouldn't '.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As part of my cardiology rehab programme I've been watching some games from the early and mid 1990s. A reminder of how good, how competitive, how talented Edwards was. A real leader, and motivator with a kicking game that far exceeds anything anyone currently  at Wigan has.  

I do hope the current impasse is resolved and that he rejoins Wigan as originally announced.

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

As part of my cardiology rehab programme I've been watching some games from the early and mid 1990s.

Nothing too serious I hope John ?

As part of my psychiatric rehabilitation I’ve been told to definitely NOT watch any Warrington games prior to 2009 ?

Seriously though - What’s the purpose of watching sport as part of rehab?   Does it get the adrenaline pumping and ramp up the heart rate at a steady pace without too much physical exertion?

All it really means I have the time to sit and watch in the afternoon, with the option to fall asleep. Yesterday watched the 1992 Premiership semi between Wigan (74) and Leeds (6) , and the 1985 cup final. I didn't fall asleep. Today? Who knows?

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

As part of my cardiology rehab programme I've been watching some games from the early and mid 1990s. A reminder of how good, how competitive, how talented Edwards was. A real leader, and motivator with a kicking game that far exceeds anything anyone currently  at Wigan has.  

I do hope the current impasse is resolved and that he rejoins Wigan as originally announced.

Absolutely no doubting he was an incredible player

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

All it really means I have the time to sit and watch in the afternoon, with the option to fall asleep. Yesterday watched the 1992 Premiership semi between Wigan (74) and Leeds (6) , and the 1985 cup final. I didn't fall asleep. Today? Who knows?

If you've got access to them, I'd say the SOO series from 1989 to present should keep you going! Hope you're back fighting fit soon, JohnM 

Edwards has just been on Talksport and confirmed he had not signed a contract with Wigan. He also stated that he has been speaking to IL over the last few days and that they would be putting out a press statement in the next few days. 

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

If I was Wigan I would be abandoning this plan now and take control of the situation.

He isn't even a Rugby League coach, so I wouldn't be worrying too much about missing out on him, he is hardly Craig Bellamy and doesn't seem committed.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If I was Wigan I would be abandoning this plan now and take control of the situation.

He isn't even a Rugby League coach, so I wouldn't be worrying too much about missing out on him, he is hardly Craig Bellamy and doesn't seem committed.

Agree, if he's now having second thoughts, just cut him. Especially as things seemed sorted. Wigan shouldn't be short of coaching candidates.

I work right next to Talksport, i might pop down and see Shaun! assuming he's in the studio.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

25 minutes ago, philipw said:

Edwards has just been on Talksport and confirmed he had not signed a contract with Wigan. He also stated that he has been speaking to IL over the last few days and that they would be putting out a press statement in the next few days. 

Surely if that's the case there's no reason why they can't just announce it today. It sounds as if Edward hasn't a clue what he wants to do 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Surely if that's the case there's no reason why they can't just announce it today. It sounds as if Edward hasn't a clue what he wants to do 

*cynic mode on* they will probably take a few days to see how it can be spun as a positive story

36 minutes ago, philipw said:

He wont be coaching Wigan RLFC next season, because he doesn't want to and see's his coaching future in union

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Looks to me like he’s had his head turned by a big offer out of the blue (my guess by the RFU). Bit disappointed though as I had Edwards down as the type of guy who is true to his word. Once he’s agreed something that’s it whether he’s signed a contract or not. I suppose he has spent a lot of time in RU though. 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Agreed. He said he needs time to think about it and that is not showing any commitment to Wigan whatsoever. Wigan should tell him now that they are going to look elsewhere.

More comment from the WRU.

Edwards future to be discussed 

Phillips says he has already started talking with defence coach Shaun Edwards about his future.

Incoming Wales coach Wayne Pivac has confirmed that Edwards will not be retained, but Edwards has distanced himself from taking over Rugby League side Wigan Warriors.

"I read the comments in the media, Shaun has been honest and open," Phillips said.

"Our agreement with Wayne (Pivac) is to select his own team, it is never about the individual it is about the blend, the blend our coaching team have now is approaching telepathy.

"Shaun and Wayne had a conversation, Shaun said at the time he had a chance of a job at Wigan... our understanding at the time was that he signed with Wigan.

"On Monday at the Senedd (during Wales' Grand Slam celebration) I told Shaun we would love to have a conversation about his future.

"He's gone on holiday, but we will pick it up when he returns.

"Wayne will pick his staff, but if Shaun is open to other things, that is a conversation we would like to have.

"We talk to all of the coaching team, all of the time... and will continue to do that.

"Are they future regional coaches? I wouldn't like to get into specifics, the key for us and for them is getting them into the right next role."

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

In other words, I need time to assess who's going to place the highest bid

Lenagan for whatever reason has not got Edwards to commit with a contract.

Edwards isn't dumb and he knows his stock is going up. If he can avoid signing a contract for longer, maybe a good show in the union world cup the his stock goes higher. If Wales have a complete bummer in the union cuppy thing then his stock falls.

He is edging his bets, he won't have pressed IL for a contract, it should have been the other way around where IL said sign now or the deal is off.

Lenagan has possibly presumed that getting Edwards on TV and radio saying the deal is done is as good as a contract, in that it makes it embarrassing to back out.

Edwards has bee taught well by union, don't be embarrassed about pulling dirty tricks.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived