Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Lawyer (and Wigan fan) here.  So lots of reasons to hate me ?

It isn’t “clear as day” there’s a contract.  Yes, you can agree something verbally, but the key issue on enforceability is certainty as to terms.  This sort of thing is very fact-dependent and none of us were there at the discussions.

It seems more likely to me that headline terms were discussed and agreed in principle on a subject to contract basis and are likely non-binding.

Well, 2 lawyers will never agree, and I am guessing, but if the key terms were settled enough for both sides to publicise it as a done deal I would take on the case. That said, it isn’t one that is worth fighting as there is little to be gained if we win. And there may be an element of “he said, she said”. 

Turning it round, if IL had now announced that Maguire was rejoining is last year, I am guessing Edwards would be pretty confident of getting compensation from us. 

Edwards’ own behaviour would be a significant factor. As I suppose would be the basis on which Lam took his job. 

If Edwards was a good man he would have called us before he spoke to the press. 

41 minutes ago, dkw said:

The fact Edwards is playing this all out in the media tells you exactly what kind if person he is, Wigan would do well telling him to just sod of.

Exactly, he comes across as a massive egotist. The incoming Welsh coach says Edwards told him he was contracted to Wigan and now Edwards is saying there's no contract signed. Think Wigan are better off without his ego.

53 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Well, 2 lawyers will never agree, and I am guessing, but if the key terms were settled enough for both sides to publicise it as a done deal I would take on the case. That said, it isn’t one that is worth fighting as there is little to be gained if we win. And there may be an element of “he said, she said”. 

Turning it round, if IL had now announced that Maguire was rejoining is last year, I am guessing Edwards would be pretty confident of getting compensation from us. 

Edwards’ own behaviour would be a significant factor. As I suppose would be the basis on which Lam took his job. 

If Edwards was a good man he would have called us before he spoke to the press. 

A lot of guesswork in this I'm afraid!  As I say, it's very fact dependent, but if I were Shaun Edwards I wouldn't be at all confident of getting compensation in the circumstances you describe.

This is on Wigan more than Edwards.  They are the employer.  They have just secured one of the biggest coaching names in world rugby, either code.  They should have just bloody spent the money on a lawyer and locked that situation down in a binding, written agreement.  It isn't for him to provide them with written terms.  It is shoddy business by Wigan and if they lose him it's their fault.  I can see a bit of weight in the point about coming to Wigan first rather than the media, but this story surfaced a couple of weeks ago and Wigan still didn't sort it.  Painfully amateurish sadly, from my own club.

n.b. two lawyers will agree, especially on contract law fundamentals.  Ones that disagree are usually opponents...

I think we see this somewhat differently, but it doesn’t matter in a sense, as Wigan aren’t going to be suing him whatever he decides to do. I am relaxed about the outcome, as we will end up with a great coach however we get there, and have more sympathy than you for Wigan’s position. We could have presented him with a contract before now, but he is the one looking to renege on the deal. He was the one publicly presented as our new coach for 2020 and he was the one who is looking to back out of the deal.

This isn’t a top 100 FTSE Company, this is a rugby league club dealing with someone well known to the club and the town. He isn’t an Aussie whose head has been turned by the NRL, he is someone who has had very close ties with the club and the town. If ever there was someone to shake hands with on a deal, the club would have thought he would be that person. 

Even if we had a contract, I strongly suspect that the outcome would be the same. What has happened is that he has bottled it, and someone is advising him on how best to extricate himself. Putting “blame” on Wigan is the route he chose to go down. 

Yeah I think we do see it a bit differently - but don’t worry I won’t hold it against you!?

I suspect my bias comes from seeing clients (companies) who don’t lock things down, sometimes against advice, so I don’t look that at it that sympathetically.

Whether Edwards would be up to shenanigans if they’d signed up I don’t know.

I also think Lenegan’s a bit of a tight ###### and I wonder if that’s what’s catching them out. 

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I also think Lenegan’s a bit of a tight ###### and I wonder if that’s what’s catching them out

Yes I also wondered if Lenagan is putting business before sentiment, both in the amount that he values Edwards and also whether he was keeping his options open on Lam should he have been very successful this year.

Edwards probably saw it that way too and wants the best deal possible.   Since we don’t know the facts, it may well be that Shaun put his price on the table and Lenagan has sat on it waiting to see how Edwards stock pans out in the 6N.

If that is the case, you have to question the publicity stunt last August with the press conference and all the hoo-haa...   I would be very peed off as a Wigan fan right now, and at the end of the day the purpose of a club is to serve it’s fans IMO.

Anyway, who would be next in line for the Job?   Shane Flanagan?   That would spice up the wire-Wigan derby even more ?

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Exactly, he comes across as a massive egotist. The incoming Welsh coach says Edwards told him he was contracted to Wigan and now Edwards is saying there's no contract signed. Think Wigan are better off without his ego.

You know him well do you??

I am grateful for all the concern exhibited all round on here about poor Wigans status.  Especially when everyone is clearly both clever and are expert mind readers

54 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think we see this somewhat differently, but it doesn’t matter in a sense, as Wigan aren’t going to be suing him whatever he decides to do. I am relaxed about the outcome, as we will end up with a great coach however we get there, and have more sympathy than you for Wigan’s position. We could have presented him with a contract before now, but he is the one looking to renege on the deal. He was the one publicly presented as our new coach for 2020 and he was the one who is looking to back out of the deal.

This isn’t a top 100 FTSE Company, this is a rugby league club dealing with someone well known to the club and the town. He isn’t an Aussie whose head has been turned by the NRL, he is someone who has had very close ties with the club and the town. If ever there was someone to shake hands with on a deal, the club would have thought he would be that person. 

Even if we had a contract, I strongly suspect that the outcome would be the same. What has happened is that he has bottled it, and someone is advising him on how best to extricate himself. Putting “blame” on Wigan is the route he chose to go down. 

Barba had a contract in writing but clearly he got tapped up or (ironically) his wife got fed up of life in St Helens (hard to believe i know).  But in any event his contract got waived.  These things happen... In Barbas case he certainly would have been better not moving.  A lesson for all to think about!

I have a feeling that there was a contract and that whoever has turned Edwards away from it has offered to pay it off.

Whatever the truth, all I know is that I saw Edwards put on a Wigan t-shirt and parade himself in front of the media to announce the deal; he even gave interviews about how much coming back meant to him. He now looks like a disloyal, shallow, back-stabbing, self-serving snake and I hope Wigan sue the ###### out of him.

AND he was definitely offside for that first try at Wembley in 1990.  

12 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

You know him well do you??

I am grateful for all the concern exhibited all round on here about poor Wigans status.  Especially when everyone is clearly both clever and are expert mind readers

You don't need to be a mind reader to see he enjoys being in the media.

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

You don't need to be a mind reader to see he enjoys being in the media.

Really? The reality is there is a lot more media interest in RU than us, the RL.

Frankly that is ours, the RL games, problem. Moaning about the fact that someone is getting talked about in the RL world is pathetic. In fact the fat chance would be hard thing. 

12 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

I have a feeling that there was a contract and that whoever has turned Edwards away from it has offered to pay it off.

Whatever the truth, all I know is that I saw Edwards put on a Wigan t-shirt and parade himself in front of the media to announce the deal; he even gave interviews about how much coming back meant to him. He now looks like a disloyal, shallow, back-stabbing, self-serving snake and I hope Wigan sue the ###### out of him.

AND he was definitely offside for that first try at Wembley in 1990.  

Sadly for Leeds fans, if we sue him then there are no good Leeds players we buy off them with all the money we would make out of it.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

As a Wigan fan I would have preferred the club just to have said no thanks Shaun we will now look elsewhere.

Agreed.  Cut him loose and focus on somebody who wants the job.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Think it would be better if both parties moved on now. Wigan look amateurish and small time for not bothering to get a contract signed and from what I gather, Edwards has not said he actually wants to join Wigan lately and seems to be touting himself for a big Rugby Union job. 

It’s best for both if they move on from this sorry episode. 

Archived