Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like any kid growing up in Wigan in the 80's, I looked at local boy Edwards and felt awe and jealousy in equal measure that he could get into the first team at 17 years of age and then go on to win so much with his home town team.

He is in real danger of putting that legacy through the shredder now by not just putting his hand up and admitting he wants to coach elsewhere and wish Wigan all the best.

If only I had known all this a couple of months ago when I shared a changing room with him at a health club in Chiswick... I would have given him an atomic wedgie on behalf of us all (and then run away)!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Listening to Radio 5 Sport Extra, it seems like there has been some recent contact made between Wigan and Edwards. The "contract" never existed, but there was a verbal/handshake agreement, which goes against a previous Wigan claim.

With Wales winning the Six Nations, he was always going to be in demand from people with lots of money to throw about.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Listening to Radio 5 Sport Extra, it seems like there has been some recent contact made between Wigan and Edwards. The "contract" never existed, but there was a verbal/handshake agreement, which goes against a previous Wigan claim.

With Wales winning the Six Nations, he was always going to be in demand from people with lots of money to throw about.

More detail here: https://www.timesandstar.co.uk/sport/national/17521812.edwards-asks-wigan-for-more-time-to-consider-his-future/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In 1995, Mark Hughes was paraded on the pitch at O Trafford with the commentator saying he had signed an extended contract, a few months later he signed for Chelsea, it was said he never actually signed the paper. Ever since then i've never believed that a contract is signed by a sportsman; until i see ppl actually in position i won't be 100% sure that he or she is joining the club. #CymruAmByth #FootballIsTheGreatestGame

3 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

In 1995, Mark Hughes was paraded on the pitch at O Trafford with the commentator saying he had signed an extended contract, a few months later he signed for Chelsea, it was said he never actually signed the paper. Ever since then i've never believed that a contract is signed by a sportsman; until i see ppl actually in position i won't be 100% sure that he or she is joining the club. #CymruAmByth #FootballIsTheGreatestGame

Worse than that didn’t a new owner go on the pitch at Old Trafford kicking a football only for it to turn out he didn’t have any money and the whole thing fell through. 

13 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Think it would be better if both parties moved on now. Wigan look amateurish and small time for not bothering to get a contract signed and from what I gather, Edwards has not said he actually wants to join Wigan lately and seems to be touting himself for a big Rugby Union job. 

It’s best for both if they move on from this sorry episode. 

Agreed.

I don’t see blame going Edwards way.  If anyone got several job offers at the same time they would need to think it through.  Not all party’s in that scenario will be responding at the same time either.

Seems quite obvious Lenegan thought he had been captured with a meeting and whatever agreement happened.  His mistake appears to have been  not getting SE tied to a hard and fast contract.  

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t see blame going Edwards way.  If anyone got several job offers at the same time they would need to think it through.  Not all party’s in that scenario will be responding at the same time either.

Seems quite obvious Lenegan thought he had been captured with a meeting and whatever agreement happened.  His mistake appears to have been  not getting SE tied to a hard and fast contract.  

I agree it's amateurish but equally I suspect Edwards has deliberately caused this. Potentially giving his 'word' knowing he would bail....I have no proof other than knowing what a shyster he has been across both sports in the past 

25 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree it's amateurish but equally I suspect Edwards has deliberately caused this. Potentially giving his 'word' knowing he would bail....I have no proof other than knowing what a shyster he has been across both sports in the past 

If Wigan had won everything this season I think it's possible they'd have cancelled the deal too. Both sides took a risk with the oral contract. Now Edwards is profiting as he's in greater demand. If Wigan were sure they wanted him they should have signed the contract when they had the chance.

41 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I can see plenty of blame going Edwards way. Yes, Wigan have been naive and amateurish not getting the contract in place but Edwards attended media events saying he had committed his future to Wigan. For me, this is a demonstration of a decision made and one he should have honoured. 

The only party today who is not sticking to the pre-contract agreement is Edwards. 

Who wins here? Depends whether you would prefer to be seen as amateurish or devious.  So no one wins.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I just spat out my tea! Ha!

There was an old man named Ian Lenagan

He said Shaun would join Wigan-agan

But Gizz shat his pants and stayed in yawnion

Poor old Ian Lenagan, begin again.

Even better when you imagine Pam Ayres sat on a stool on Sunday morning BBC reciting that ?

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

England.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I just spat out my tea! Ha!

There was an old man named Ian Lenagan

He said Shaun would join Wigan-agan

But Gizz shat his pants and stayed in yawnion

Poor old Ian Lenagan, begin again.

Don't give up the day job, or the evening job.. or both. ????

As a Wigan fan and as a person who is no fan of Lenegan I actually don't think that Wigan did a great deal wrong. They trusted Shaun as a Wigan legend and dealt with him in the way the club had always done. Both parties were very happy to go public with this so it's obvious that this trust was two way. If he had signed a contact he would have got cold feet in this way anyway and this scenario would have still played out.

What I do blame the club for is the 1 year temporary deal for Lam then Edwards taking over. That was flawed logic from the start and has probably contributed to our poor start this season.

IL’s comment doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t know a few days ago. I would allocate the blame 80% Edwards and 20% Wigan, and only ascribe that much to wigan because we might have pushed hardier to get this papered. From our side, we agreed terms with someone who had very close ties with the town, and with the club. Who was prepared to accounted his agreement publicly and extensively. Time has passed, during which Edwards has been otherwise occupied. The next we hear of it, Edwards announces to the vichies - not to us - that he is a free agent. 

IL is, as in many things, taking a measured approach. We are Wigan, we will get any number of great coaches wanting to work for us. IL has shown himself in the past to be a great picker, and will go about deciding who our future coaches are in the same way as before. We are right to put the onus on Edwards to consider his position. Once he has done so, we can choose which path to take, publicise it and move on. But we are right to put the ball in his court, and there is no rush. 

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's a real challenge to believe anything IL says to be perfectly honest. The SC breach summary shows that he was economical with the truth, and he has been caught out again here.

Maybe. In the decade he has been in charge, he has been able to say a lot of truthful things about championships the team has won. Which is the hard currency of ownership.

19 hours ago, Damien said:

As a Wigan fan I would have preferred the club just to have said no thanks Shaun we will now look elsewhere.

As a Wigan fan what were you expecting SE to be doing in between his job with Wales ending, which it now has, and taking up the Wigan role at some unspecified date?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

For Edwards, he is free to make the choice.

RUGBY UNION
Probably more money in most of the RU offers he'll get.
Familiarity with the job.
Uncritical media adulation.
Positive-minded fans.

RUGBY LEAGUE
Probably less money.
Having to get up to speed with cutting-edge SL-level coaching.
Media anonymity.
Huge weight of expectation as a club legend... something that worked out less than well for Kieron Cunningham.
Daily deliveries of envelopes full of dog poo from Oliver Clothesoff.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived